Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
A Quiet Place was a pleasant surprise for me. Having a character actively trying to get to Harlem for her favorite slice of pizze is an easy way to get me invested. But more importantly, Lupita BODIED her performance and the English dude did a great job too. Their on-screen chemistry and story really made it easy to root for the characters. I know we've seen a lot of "grief" themes in horror, but this one did it in a manner I found unique and enjoyable.

This also did a bit better than part two with the "ANY noise can get you killed."

On the scare level, it's just impossible for creature features to scare me these days. I give it props for a couple of jump scares that made theatre members scream out loud, but this one's more about the tension of seeing characters in peril that you don't want to die.

Is it a GREAT horror movie? Nah, I still think we're looking for that standout movie of 2024. But it's the best big budget horror of the year so far IMO...though the competition is pretty damned weak.
Not the biggest fan of the franchise, but I had a lot of fun with this one too. Coming from the director of Pig, I knew heading in that it wouldn’t be a waste of time.

Apparently people wanted an origin story for the aliens? Interesting, lol. I didn’t really need all of that. I’m cool with not knowing, as it adds to the intrigue. Just show me how the humans responded when these creatures first touched base on Earth, and that’s what they did.

Expecting the same with Romulus come August. I don’t need a backstory, just show me the trauma.

MaXXXine on Wednesday should be a fun time. It would be nice if a domino could fall in a major way for horror. All I’ve been seeing is hype on top of hype for the two, but Longlegs and DP&W are looking like they could be those dominoes for their respective genres. Though I’ll say horror, as mediocre as it’s been this year so far, is doing way better than CBM.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Not the biggest fan of the franchise, but I had a lot of fun with this one too. Coming from the director of Pig, I knew heading in that it wouldn’t be a waste of time.

Apparently people wanted an origin story for the aliens? Interesting, lol. I didn’t really need all of that. I’m cool with not knowing, as it adds to the intrigue. Just show me how the humans responded when these creatures first touched base on Earth, and that’s what they did.

Expecting the same with Romulus come August. I don’t need a backstory, just show me the trauma.

MaXXXine on Wednesday should be a fun time. It would be nice if a domino could fall in a major way for horror. All I’ve been seeing is hype on top of hype for the two, but Longlegs and DP&W are looking like they could be those dominoes for their respective sub-genres. Though I’ll say horror, as mediocre as it’s been this year so far, is doing way better than CBM.
That's exactly how I feel. I assumed we'd get more alien focus, and that's why I was worried. But you're 100% right, the original Quiet Place hit because it was so focused on the family and how they coped and survived. The second one did more "worldbuilding" which is okay, but it lost a lot of the emotional thru-lines. This one restored the feeling.

Had I realized it was the director of Pig, I'd have been more faithful. I really liked Pig!

I'm definitely planning to see MaXXXine and Long Legs as soon as they drop and I have a chance. The second half of 2024 seems kinda stacked.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Last night I watched As Above, So Below 2014

The movie is better than the RT score. I'm normally not a fan of found footage movies but the story really kept me interested. Its kind of plays like a horror version of Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/Uncharted for me. I don't know how historically accurate the movie was or if they took liberties with the lore that they used for inspiration. There's one good part that in here that really makes you feel the claustrophobia.

Only 2 "scares" didn't hold up for me but the budget was between 5-10 mil so that's ok. Maybe one part at the end seems rushed when Scarlett runs back and forth by herself. Either way the positives outweigh the negatives. If you never watched it before like me, I'd recommend it as it gives you something new.

If they ever do a sequel I'd like for them to do it like IJ/TR/UC and go to another location and tackle another lore/fable. I feel like that's something that could be explored more, and there's a lot of untapped potential.

I watched some more Maika Monroe movies in preparation for Long Legs and because there was a thread on reddit saying she was in the top 3 for current scream queens.

The Guest 2014

Was a cool movie for me. Theres a definite tone shift. If you're not into over the top movies I don't think you'd like this. To me the movie was like if Captain America became a slasher instead of a superhero.

Villains 2019

I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. More like a Dark Comedy than a horror if I'm being honest. Maika Monroe and Bill Skarsgård had great chemistry. The shots that were of the two of them face to face with her hair over him were good. Burn Notice did a good job in the movie too.

The Watchers 2024

I ain't really like it.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Humanoids from the deep (1980)

basically if.....

was a movie.... :russ:

this movie was wild as fukk back in the day

mutated sea creatures, that are only male, need human women to reproduce :dwillhuh:

the third act is golden

great fx, decently acted

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Last night I watched As Above, So Below 2014

The movie is better than the RT score. I'm normally not a fan of found footage movies but the story really kept me interested. Its kind of plays like a horror version of Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/Uncharted for me. I don't know how historically accurate the movie was or if they took liberties with the lore that they used for inspiration. There's one good part that in here that really makes you feel the claustrophobia.

Only 2 "scares" didn't hold up for me but the budget was between 5-10 mil so that's ok. Maybe one part at the end seems rushed when Scarlett runs back and forth by herself. Either way the positives outweigh the negatives. If you never watched it before like me, I'd recommend it as it gives you something new.

If they ever do a sequel I'd like for them to do it like IJ/TR/UC and go to another location and tackle another lore/fable. I feel like that's something that could be explored more, and there's a lot of untapped potential.

I watched some more Maika Monroe movies in preparation for Long Legs and because there was a thread on reddit saying she was in the top 3 for current scream queens.

The Guest 2014

Was a cool movie for me. Theres a definite tone shift. If you're not into over the top movies I don't think you'd like this. To me the movie was like if Captain America became a slasher instead of a superhero.

Villains 2019

I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. More like a Dark Comedy than a horror if I'm being honest. Maika Monroe and Bill Skarsgård had great chemistry. The shots that were of the two of them face to face with her hair over him were good. Burn Notice did a good job in the movie too.

The Watchers 2024

I ain't really like it.
As Above, So Below is in that weird place where I know a lot of horror heads that love it, but it still feels underrated. I also think of it as one of those films that gets better with every rewatch. The coolest part to me is that they really filmed in the catacombs (the first film allowed to film in certain off-limits sections), which is pretty incredible considering how challenging that must have been.

Villains was great, for what it was! Two really likeable performances!

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Humanoids from the deep (1980)

basically if.....

was a movie.... :russ:

this movie was wild as fukk back in the day

mutated sea creatures, that are only male, need human women to reproduce :dwillhuh:

the third act is golden

great fx, decently acted

This was a wild movie and I enjoyed it a lot when I watched it last year. The part when they invade the carnival is comedy.

As Above, So Below is in that weird place where I know a lot of horror heads that love it, but it still feels underrated. I also think of it as one of those films that gets better with every rewatch. The coolest part to me is that they really filmed in the catacombs (the first film allowed to film in certain off-limits sections), which is pretty incredible considering how challenging that must have been.

Villains was great, for what it was! Two really likeable performances!

I should have seen this sooner but it was when I stopped paying attention to horror movies. The catacombs were cool and its nice that they actually went there. I learned about them in my high school French. We watched a documentary and everything. I was about to turn it off because it was found footage but they were getting me with the story.

I should watch REC even though I watched the last 30 minutes or so of Quarantine.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I should have seen this sooner but it was when I stopped paying attention to horror movies. The catacombs were cool and its nice that they actually went there. I learned about them in my high school French. We watched a documentary and everything. I was about to turn it off because it was found footage but they were getting me with the story.

I should watch REC even though I watched the last 30 minutes or so of Quarantine.
I like REC a LOT more than Quarantine. It's got more going on than most typical found-footage fare. I really like found footage movies that do everything through subtext. It feels more realistic that we DON'T get explanations, but the footage gives us enough clues to piece everything together.

I think As Above, So Below and The Borderlands (aka Final Prayer) are the best two at that subtext thing. Most others, even the great ones, use some kinda documentary style (Blair Witch and Hell House LLC) or exposition dumps (Banshee Chapter and The Visit). Or they just don't have that much going on.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
If I could describe MaXXXine using only a picture:

GKcqjKXacAArfhT.png