Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Thanksgiving was good, but it felt like it leaned into the camp too much to be great.

The kills are great, grindhouse-type gore. In particular, that dumpster kill was great. The opening homage to the Halloween POV, with hockey sticks for Jason, was a nice touch. I also laughed at a decent amount of the jokes and gags, so the humor worked. Beyond that, I'm glad the characters weren't total dummies for the sake of the plot (except for the bully and his gf but that's part of their trope).

On the downside...The Scream-style "whodunnit" fell flat bc there were only a couple of directions it could go, and it chose a predictable "twist." The humor disrupts any actual "scary" that this film could have had. Most importantly, the second half of the movie just loses steam. The first few kills are really creative, and there's a great set-up with the staging of the table. But then it devolves to a killer with a dart gun and the final table set-piece is kinda disappointing IMO.

Basically, it's a fun horror movie but it's not the Halloween of Thanksgiving. I doubt I'll make it a yearly watch, but time will tell. I wish they'd gone all the way in one direction or the other...make a Thanksgiving slasher that isn't derivative or make a pure satire.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I saw an interesting title get some love on twitter for "horror you missed in 2023," so I blind-watched it...let's just say it wasn't what I expected.

It's a horror-comedy with a character who's kinda like Ernest but more pathetic. The humor always treads on being corny, but some of the gags were alright. The supporting cast was surprisingly stacked, and they all had fun with their roles. But the main character was my problem. He has a particular way of talking, this gameshow host delivery to everything he says, that bothers me. That the enjoyment out of some gags.

On the brightside, the ghoul makeup was hilarious, and everyone making it seemed to love it. On the downside, the annoying main character made it mid for me.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
dark forces (2020)

had potential
its like the Continental Hotel from John Wick mixed with a Grindhouse David Lynch Flick
Beautifully shot, but no substance
& subtitles

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm tryna come up with a list of horror movies I still need to watch from 2023. I'm definitely getting Birth/Rebirth, Suitable Flesh, The Offering, and Candyland watched before I pick my best horrors of the year. I've also gotta try to find Minna no Uta by Takashi Shimizu. My on-the-fly top ten so far
1. New Religion
2. Talk to Me
3. When Evil Lurks
4. Evil Dead Rise
5. VHS 85
6. Malum
7. Perpetrator
8. Thanksgiving
9. M3GAN
10. Totally Killer or the Blackening...the good horror comedies

Everything after 4 is subject to change though...I didn't like Outwaters or Skinamarink which I think will get a lot of love. Infinity Pool and Sick were good but not top-10 for me. Saw X would get an honorable mention.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Tis' the season, bytches!

what we got on deck for December??

i was thinking about these (in no particular order)

thankskilling
Christmas craft fair massacre
silent night, zombie night
elves (2018
It's a wonderful knife (2023)
there's something in the barn (2023)
dismembering christmas
the nights before christmas
the last slay ride
psycho santa
silent night
slay belles
sick for toys

New Years Evil

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
'Smile' is dope as fukk. I know some people here didn't like it but I just rewatched the other night on Paramount+ and it was just as creepy and wildly unsettling as the first time we saw it. The acting was top notch for a small budget horror. Lots of gore, lots of jump scares and "what the fukk?" moments in here. I really like it.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm tryna come up with a list of horror movies I still need to watch from 2023. I'm definitely getting Birth/Rebirth, Suitable Flesh, The Offering, and Candyland watched before I pick my best horrors of the year. I've also gotta try to find Minna no Uta by Takashi Shimizu. My on-the-fly top ten so far
1. New Religion
2. Talk to Me
3. When Evil Lurks
4. Evil Dead Rise
5. VHS 85
6. Malum
7. Perpetrator
8. Thanksgiving
9. M3GAN
10. Totally Killer or the Blackening...the good horror comedies

Everything after 4 is subject to change though...I didn't like Outwaters or Skinamarink which I think will get a lot of love. Infinity Pool and Sick were good but not top-10 for me. Saw X would get an honorable mention.
I just checked out the trailer for New Religion based off of your list. Without knowing anything other than what I saw in the trailer it looks very similar in tone and feel to Beyond the Black Rainbow by Panos Comsmotos

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I just checked out the trailer for New Religion based off of your list. Without knowing anything other than what I saw in the trailer it looks very similar in tone and feel to Beyond the Black Rainbow by Panos Comsmotos
It definitely has that disorienting and dreamy vibe, though it's not quite as weird. I felt a lot of influence from Audition, though I wouldn't directly compare the two because Audition's a straight-up masterpiece.

This one isn't on that level, but I REALLY liked it. It's unique, captures an energy that very few horror movies pull off, and it's got the type of ambiguity where you can revisit the movie and pick up different ideas each time. It's also cool that this was a directorial debut.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It definitely has that disorienting and dreamy vibe, though it's not quite as weird. I felt a lot of influence from Audition, though I wouldn't directly compare the two because Audition's a straight-up masterpiece.

This one isn't on that level, but I REALLY liked it. It's unique, captures an energy that very few horror movies pull off, and it's got the type of ambiguity where you can revisit the movie and pick up different ideas each time. It's also cool that this was a directorial debut.
Crazy that you’d mention Audition. It’s one of the only movies I feel like I could never watch again and it’s a true testament to how truly effective and disturbing it was. If its that disturbing I might have to reconsider :youngsabo: