Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Horror, being a horror fan is weird. My roommate had company over and come to find out they’re big horror fans. I listed all my favs to them; the responses were generally that they didn’t like my choices… and when they told me their choices I thought internally “lol those films are ass”

I know a lot of people favorite horror film this year is talk to me… mine is evil dead rise

I see thanksgiving got a lot of positive reviews, especially here, but I thought it was just okay and guessed the killer correctly on my first guess within the first ten mins of the film

I’m not trying to say anyone opinions are better than another, it’s just the horror community is really diverse and it’s a genre where you really need to watch a film to form your own ideas.

No one ever talks about how diverse all of our opinions are

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
@Straw Hat Luffy What did they list as faves and what did you say?
I remember them saying Creep and a bunch of A24 movies like Lamb but when I said Hereditary they said they couldn’t understand the hype

What got to me is when I said Hellraiser is an all-time favorite of mine

They said lol that old cheesy movie?

:dahell: I was lowkey pissed lmaoo

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I remember them saying Creep and a bunch of A24 movies like Lamb but when I said Hereditary they said they couldn’t understand the hype

What?! I love the original Hellraiser.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Horror, being a horror fan is weird. My roommate had company over and come to find out they’re big horror fans. I listed all my favs to them; the responses were generally that they didn’t like my choices… and when they told me their choices I thought internally “lol those films are ass”

I know a lot of people favorite horror film this year is talk to me… mine is evil dead rise

I see thanksgiving got a lot of positive reviews, especially here, but I thought it was just okay and guessed the killer correctly on my first guess within the first ten mins of the film

I’m not trying to say anyone opinions are better than another, it’s just the horror community is really diverse and it’s a genre where you really need to watch a film to form your own ideas.

No one ever talks about how diverse all of our opinions are

Understandable. I really like no fukks given Cheesy horror movies with practical effects. Some people may say these movies are too goofy. I think some horror fans like the same movies I do while other are only interested in serious movies that can provide scares.

For example movies i saw this year that i like
Are:

Blood Diner
Return of the Living Dead
Reanimator
Into the Mouth of Madness
From Beyond
Society
Night of the Creeps
Deadstream
Lord of Illusions
Warlock: The Armageddon
What We do in Shadows

I think a lot of people tend to rate horror movies higher if they have a social commentary aspect to them as well. First and foremost I want an interesting movie and I don't mind if there is social commentary. For example I liked Videodrome and Get Out. It seemed like after Get Out horror movies have been made for a social commentary aspect. For example this year When Evil Lurks and Talk to Me have a social commentary aspect. I enjoyed When Evil Lurks more on the surface.

Edit: I also really like Sci-Fi Horror. The first 2 Hellraisers are bangers as well. A lot of people don't like movies made before 2000. I normally try to watch movies made from 1970-1999.

Last edited:

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

You need a new roommate - his friends have terrible horror opinions:russ:

should have stood on Business with your takes ...:birdman:
and told them fools you live on a street named business and walk out and stand on that Mutha fukka every single day!!!!! :russ::russ:

but yeah,
horror is very subjective with so many subgenre's.
you can ask 20 people the same question and get at least 17 different take
I was into 80's horror for a long time ....until I graduated to fringe horror
But that A24 IFC horror shyt is borderline boring a lot of the time.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Sounds like they like A24 "elevated horror" but I feel like I could make the case that Julia and Kyrsti being empowered like they are in an 80's horror movie is pretty elevated in its own right...the Hellraiser movies after 2 are all pretty cheesy though, to be fair :mjlol:

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Understandable. I really like no fukks given Cheesy horror movies with practical effects. Some people may say these movies are too goofy. I think some horror fans like the same movies I do while other are only interested in serious movies that can provide scares.

For example movies i saw this year that i like
Are:

Blood Diner
Return of the Living Dead
Reanimator
Into the Mouth of Madness
From Beyond
Society
Night of the Creeps
Deadstream
Lord of Illusions
Warlock: The Armageddon
What We do in Shadows

I think a lot of people tend to rate horror movies higher if they have a social commentary aspect to them as well. First and foremost I want an interesting movie and I don't mind if there is social commentary. For example I liked Videodrome and Get Out. It seemed like after Get Out horror movies have been made for a social commentary aspect. For example this year When Evil Lurks and Talk to Me have a social commentary aspect. I enjoyed When Evil Lurks more on the surface.

Edit: I also really like Sci-Fi Horror. The first 2 Hellraisers are bangers as well. A lot of people don't like movies made before 2000. I normally try to watch movies made from 1970-1999.
videodrome-long.gif

Death to Videodrome!

Your post is exactly how I feel. I don't mind social commentary, especially if the movie is good, but I'm not the type that needs social commentary for the film to be deemed as quality.

I don't need "educated" horror fans writing think-pieces on how some scary movie was good because the film reflects modern society. Is the film actually 1.) scary and 2.) entertaining?

I think the best example of a perfect balance is the original Candyman. First and foremost, Candyman is a creative and a really good scary story that addresses social issues, not just the latter. And it's not hitting you on the head with the issues.

Get Out is an exception because while it hits you in the face with the message, the story is really freaking good. I hated how people tried forcing me to like US just because of all the breakdowns and the meaning of the movie people tried to force on me.

An interesting story is the most important aspect of a scary movie for me. But I would say the Characters are 1B. I NEED characters that keep my interest, that I gravitate towards.

This is why I'm like eh for Talk to me and Thanksgiving. Talk to Me is a great story. Thanksgiving is okay. Neither has great characters, especially Thanksgiving.

Alyssa Sutherland will forever eat off the horror community because of her role in Evil Dead Rise. Teffifer got 3 movies in the chamber because of how loved Art The Clown is.

All the final girls from the 80s/90s are loved, the cenobites from Hellraiser, Robert Englund as Freddy, and all the dudes that played Jason-- shyt Scream fans LOVE Stu... I could go on!

shyt let me find a cheesy scary movie to put on right now.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
@Straw Hat Luffy Only thing I disagree with is that I don't need the movie to be scary.

I watched a couple of horror movies last night

Blood Rage 1987
Blood_Rage_FilmPoster.jpeg

This movie was a lot of fun. I liked the setting of a suburban apartment community. Those aren't normally a setting you see in any movies. I have a feeling Damien Leone liked this movie growing up because it feels a lot like the Terrifier movies. The gore, tone, and the music. That could just be a common thing between other 80s slashers but the gore in this was better than later F13th movies.

I don't know how people didn't know Terry was crazy. I mean look at his Thanksgiving fit:hhh:
16ca667a-ae18-449d-9698-477971439e45-247-0000008547963c59_tmp.jpg

A plaid button up with a popped collar and a red tie.

I also like that Terry was a for the times regular yuppy white dude. I like the think he didn't die at the end, graduated college, and becomes Patrick bateman:mjlol:

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker / Night Warning 1981
Butcher_Baker_Nightmare_Maker.jpg

Susan Tyrrell as the Aunt was the best part of the movie. She was batshyt crazy. The police Detective from Harlem played his role well. Bill Paxton was good too in his small role. I liked how the beginning went full Final Destination 2.