Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
For tonight I watch Suitable Flesh and When Evil Lurks

Suitable Flesh:shaq:

This is a horny movie. It it was a little more explicit it would be the most ambitious Xev Bellinger video of all time.

The movie doesn't lean too hard into the HP Lovecraft stuff. It also has some weird editing choices and camera shots in the movie. It takes about 1/2 way or 2/3 of the way to really get into the crazy and when it does it delivers. I think all 4 of the main actors did a good job.

When Evil Lurks:demonic:

This might be the best horror movie I've seen this year. I don't think there's been a 10/10 but there's been a lot of 7s and 8s.
I like the world building when they give you stuff. I do wish for some things like past history they'd show us the scenes instead of just showing us.

There's definitely some scenes that will stick with you when you watch this.

I like how the movie is kind of a cross between a possession movie and a zombie movie. I also like that the two main characters are fukk ups their whole lives and don't overcome the hardest thing they've ever had to deal with to give us a happy ending. More often then not life time fukk ups will fukk up when it matters most:yeshrug:

When the dog bit the little girl I was like:damn:

What was the white chalky substance that was on the stage in the school and the school kids?

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
My weekend:

.Victor Frankenstein - I'm a Frank stan and enjoyed it the first time. It's still a solid film on a second watch.

.Stagefright - Thought it was decent and something I'll revisit one day. I felt this could be a MST3K shyt since there's so many :mjlol: moments. Going to a mental asylum for a sprained ankle. :dead:

.Stitches - it was puntastic! If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. Might be in my top 10 slashers. :ohhh:

.House on Haunted Hill (OG) - caught most of this on the MOVIES! channel. Pretty decent. but the ending had me like, "that's it? :dwillhuh:"

.DC's The Fly - man, there's so many disgusting moments that had me :scust:. The final transformation was incredible. I like both versions of the Fly. :ehh:

.The Wicker Man - Damn good film. My word. This was some fukked up shyt. :damn: :picard:

BONUS: Hammer's The Mummy - another MOVIES! film I caught a bit of. Cushing da GAWD is in it. It comes off slow and cheesy at times. I think the Universal version is better,

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I almost forgot to watch American Psycho this month. :picard: That's like forgetting to watch Hocus Pocus during October to most people.

Imma watch Hocus Pocus now. I think I spent the last few days watching enough fukked up movies. This football game is trash and I haven't watched the movie since I was a kid. I also never watched the second one.

Tomorrow I think I'll do some Sci-Fi horror including the Thing. On the 31st I plan on watching Psycho, Halloween, and Scream.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Imma watch Hocus Pocus now. I think I spent the last few days watching enough fukked up movies. This football game is trash and I haven't watched the movie since I was a kid. I also never watched the second one.

Tomorrow I think I'll do some Sci-Fi horror including the Thing. On the 31st I plan on watching Psycho, Halloween, and Scream.
You have Shudder? If you want something fun, do yourself a favor and check out my favorite thing out of last years epic horror run...

Deadstream

I can hook it up too, just PM me.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Still need to see this and Dawn (OG).
Recently saw the OG Dawn:boss:, and can't believe it took me decades to watch that GOATNTESS. Even

though the zombies make-up look like Play-Doh; the isolation of the core group camp up in that mall (with everything they desire) before shyt got infiltrated was like a fever dream you would want to be in:wow::banderas:

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When evil lurks - by far horror movie of the year for me. It's on shudder
Thanks. This wasn’t on my radar and I’m checking it out now. Had surgery on Thursday so it’s giving me plenty of time for horror movies. Can’t say I’m not enjoying myself :mjlit:

Checking out two most recent Scream movies later.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime) - great Asian Psychological horror - dude had them hoes comit Acts of terrorism for the pimpin'
love the fact they left what he actually was ambiguous, Alien, Demon, crazy mofo?????

16. The Faculty (Pluto TV) -
one of my faves from the 90's , bloodier than i remembered
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake - greatest remake period, and i would dare say one of the best horror flicks in the 2000's
the only thing i disagree with is cutting off the arm, limited the sequel factor with that and killed the remake franchise
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu) classic , and if it was me Jonesy would have been a goner
19. Hellmaster (Tubi)- I need to be high to really enjoy this one - even with the jon Saxon stimi
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime) - great sets and period piece, drama is amped up to drive the plot - nice switch up to all the blood and guts

21. Choice 5 Nights @Freddy's - Disappointed - no blood , it was actually like an A24 movie
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder) great indie horror- enjoyed the take on the genre.
23. The Mill (Hulu) _ extended twilight zone Episode, loved the twist
actually reminds me of the Star Trek deep space 9 where Miles O Brien was in that virtual prison [/SPOILER]

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The Home Stretch! I'm down to the John Carpenter classics and a classic from the director of the Grudge. But I've got a few quick thoughts on the latest ones I watched first:
1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)

7. Incantation (Netflix)
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)

19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. Choice: Saw X
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)

26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. Choice - Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor

29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

1408 -
I saw that 1408 was only 5 bones to purchase on Amazon Prime, so I copped it. I know I love this movie. It's got a great performance from John Cusack, with a relatable skeptic of a main character. The haunt scenes are done really well, and I love that it gives you stories about the deaths at the hotel before subjecting you to the ghosts of those victims.

I'm always surprised by how much time they give to Cusack escaping the room as a fakeout. I feel like it kinda hurts the second ending, but when he plays that tape recorder at the end...what an awesome payoff!

Ava's Possessions -
Cool premise, but I feel like the execution was mid. It's got a good sense of humor and clever ideas, but there are times when the acting doesn't do the script any favors. I love the whole idea of people going to a "possession" rehab, and I like the added character who kinda fell for the demon's allure and thinks they're buddies. I almost feel like this could be a great sitcom, where the writers could take their time developing some of the threads (Ava's family having a history of possession and her sister being sketchy...the other possessed girl...the witchcraft).

But as a movie...it's kinda mid. Watch for the originality, but don't expect too much.

Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor -
I LOVE the Hell House trilogy, especially the first two movies. The third one might have gotten a bit too ambitious for me, but it did close the trilogy effectively. This "origin" story acts like a prequel that expands on the Abadon origins while also expanding the story of the cult to new places...also, we finally get a bit of backstory for those creepy clowns that always steal the best scenes.

The new setting was necessary because the scares got stale in that same setting for three movies. This time, the scares are similar to the other films but with a new setting, ghosts, and backstories. I think this has a case for the second-best Hell House movie in the series, and it also lays the groundwork for additional sequels with a couple of REALLY promising settings they can use. I'm sure this team could cook up some amazing moments with a fair/amusement park setting.

Bonus Watch: My Soul To Take -
This is the last original Wes Craven flick (I think he made one Scream after it). It feels like Wes Craven wanted to recapture the magic of 80's slashers, and particularly Freddy Kreuger. We get another supernatural killer, whose soul lives on even after the body dies. On the night the killer died, 7 kids were born and his soul latched on to one of theirs, which gives us a "whodunnit" to follow. There are also interesting bits like how all 7 kids' souls are connected, so they sometimes mirror each other and see each other in dreams. It had a LOT of interesting ideas...

Unfortunately, it only scratches the surface on all this stuff. The soul connections don't really lead to much, the killer's motivation is vague beyond wanting to "finish what he started," and the kids don't interact enough to make the whodunnit part compelling. It also has good kills ruined by CGI blood, because I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be a 3D movie. Anyway, it's worth a watch because of all the interesting ideas injected into a slasher format. But it's not great! It feels like there was missed potential all over it.