Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This new hell house started sus but man, it did it’s thing for those that are fans of the series and of handheld horror realistic type joints. This and that evil lurks brung it home for the season.

I've got to admit, I've trashed Shudder for falling off recently. But if that new Evil Lurks joint lives up to the hype, than Shudder dropped two of my favorite horror movies of the year this month (I really enjoyed the new Hell House, but I'm a stan).

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Happy Halloween fam!
1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)

7. Incantation (Netflix)
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)

19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. Choice: Saw X
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. Choice - Hell House LLC Origins: The Carmichael Manor

29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Howling Village:
I really like this movie, my favorite out of Shimizu's Cursed Village trilogy. But on my second watch, I couldn't help but worry that newcomers might get annoyed by the fact that this film tries to pack a LOT into the run time. There's a found footage opening, a haunted payphone, a child with the sixth sense, an evil company, werewolf-like effects, and also a story-wide mystery...it's a LOT.

But that's part of the charm. I think Shimizu creates compelling scenes for every plot device and eventually the mystery connects them all. The entire trilogy makes amazing use of lush environments and beautiful colors, along with some great daytime scares (we need more daytime horror!). Anyway, I hope a few of yall get a chance to peep this. It's from the creator of Ju-On and if you enjoy this, the other two movies are highly suggested.

The Thing:
Tried the "Macready is the Thing" watch, but it doesn't work for me. But this is a classic that doesn't need any new angles to enjoy. The creature effects are timeless, the paranoia feels real, and the horror is great. One thing I've noted after watching these OG Classics next to new horror movies is patience. The Thing takes around a half-hour setting up the plot before we get to some chaos. It's got a bit of cavediving and "science'ing" that reminded me of Alien's early portions.

Many newer horror movies, particularly big studio horrors, will lay out what to expect early. But the classics embraced mystery as a set-up device.

Halloween:
The first Halloween holds up incredibly well despite having a low body count, not much gore compared to modern stuff, and close to 50 minutes of build-up until Michael really starts to catch bodies. I think a big aspect of that is the soundtrack, because even during relatively calm moments you've got John Carpenter hitting the keyboard to build a sense of foreboding.

The slow build thing applies here, but even moreso. You get a real feel for the sleepy town, where people feel so safe that their doors are unlocked and neighbors just pop into each others' houses without knocking. That helps add tension as people wander close to danger unexpectedly, and it's an aspect that no sequel could hope to recapture.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I only got around to watching The Thing last night.

I tried to pay close attention to see if Childs or MacReady is The Thing. I noticed the he give kerosene to Childs at the end is bs. I don't think MacReady was the thing the whole time either. He had plenty of times to kill them all if he was, and he was making tapes incase everything went to shyt. I also think destroying the spaceship made by Blair Thing, is too large of a sacrifice to stay hidden.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I only got around to watching The Thing last night.

I tried to pay close attention to see if Childs or MacReady is The Thing. I noticed the he give kerosene to Childs at the end is bs. I don't think MacReady was the thing the whole time either. He had plenty of times to kill them all if he was, and he was making tapes incase everything went to shyt. I also think destroying the spaceship made by Blair Thing, is too large of a sacrifice to stay hidden.
Yeah, MacReady had all survivors tied up with the only other untied human being chewed up skull-first.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Finished!

25. Witch in the Window - Slow burn, good, tense drama
the phone scene with the wife and son :russ: :damn:
26. 1408 - classic - nikka should have died though
27. Ava's Possessions one of the better horror comedies in the 2000s- nice twist at the end as well.
28. Choice - Sharktopus 2023- or SHIN Sharktopus mixed with Deep rising - not as much fukkery as the original , but a decent time waster

29. Howling Village (Prime)=- beutifully shot movie , but it was all over the place, haunted phone, ghosts of dead villagers done wrong by corporate greed, wolf hybrid people, psuedo zombies??? again, some good weed or booze would have definitely helped this one out.
30. The Thing - classic- diabeetus- freaked the fukk out , self isolated and still got-got . probably the best isolation horror ever made
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween - all time classic - Mike the one of the best to ever do it. How Laurie smoke dope and survive , tho?? :russ: