Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I didn't like the first VHS, will 94, 99, or 85 make me a fan:ehh::lupe:
Probably not, but since they're anthologies with different creators every time, you may find some that you like. VHS 2 has my favorite stand-alone segment, and I think 94 and 85 have the best collections overall. 99 and 3 are the weakest links imo.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Been running through the first few seasons of Supernatural gotta shout out the little girl that played kid Lillith lowkey one of the best villains the show had. Girl should've got an award for how she juggled being adorable and :demonic:

:dead: So shook of their daughter they instantly threw grandpa in the bushes.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
abe506b8ef9529ede71186d58bd9a724.jpg

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Progress Check:
1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)

7. Choose Your Own *I picked Incantation (Netflix)*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)
19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Deep Red:
Deep Red holds a weird place in my heart, because I feel like it's one of Argento's more accessible early works but I prefer his more esoteric stuff. So if I wanted to introduce someone to Giallo, I think Deep Red would be one of my first suggestions. It's got all the hallmarks without drifting into the madness of a Suspiria, for example.

Incantation:
Incantation has one of my favorite opening hooks in horror history. It has a lot of clever bits of foreshadowing about the ending, which is as clever as the opening imo. The rest is good, but a bit slow. I like it a lot, but I think The Wailing is a stronger horror movie with similar motifs. That said, this one's got a dub for people who don't watch subtitles, and I still consider it a really entertaining watch. The relationships feel real, and easy to root for...but that just helps to sell the tension and horror.

Cannibal Holocaust:
This was my first time watching Cannibal Holocaust, and probably my last. It's graphic as hell, and stories from the set (including confirmation that the animals were really killed) are horrific. But it's clearly got a message about how the Western journalists in the film look at the Indigenous people in the film. The animal stuff is juxtaposed to the murder of human beings; the documentary crew commits the most barbaric and unprovoked acts. The turtle scene was the hardest to watch, but it was totally similar to a death scene later on.

The question is whether this is an exploitation film masked as a movie with a message or a movie with a message masking itself as an exploitation film...I kinda think it's both, more or less. As much as it critiques Western media for its biases and disrespect of outside cultures, it's guilty of the same thing. Considering the zeitgeist of the time, maybe I owe it more credit.

Bonus watches:
Totally Killer:
Fun movie! I'm an 80's baby, so a lot of the jokes worked for me. I was surprised at how harsh the kills were too. It was a good watch, and a nice break from all the more serious stuff I checked out.

VHS 85:
Another film set to attack my nostalgia. I was disappointed as hell in VHS 99, but this one was a return to form. I think it's got the best wrap-around of any VHS film. Including 80's commercials like "It's 10 PM, do you know where your children are?" works well. The segments are all interesting for their own reasons. This crew of filmmakers understood the assignment, starting from a basic premise and descending into chaotic, campy horror.

The two standouts for me were God of Death and Dreamkill. But Ambrosia did something new for V/H/S movies and even the weak link, TKNOGD, ended with a pretty insane payoff.

Exorcist Believer:
All your fears about the trailer were warranted. I stayed optimistic, which just set me up for disappointment. The movie rehashes a bunch of plot threads and scares from the other Exorcist films, only it does them all worse. We get a new ouija style game; there are uncomfortable hospital exams, a reluctant priest, and a single parent who has to find faith when science has no answers...it's the Exorcist's greatest hits done by a mediocre cover band.

And that shyt's extra frustrating because there was a cool concept about people with different belief systems coming together, and the opening with the missing girls is really well-shot. The movie has some merits, but this is just a pale comparison to Exorcist, Exorcist 3, or even the TV series. Plus, they brought back characters for the minor cameos that felt like obvious fan service without much to add to the plot.

I haven't been this annoyed by a movie since the Netflix Texas Chainsaw Massacre dropped.