Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just came home from the theatre after watching When Evil Lurks and I gotta say it’s the best horror this year no lie.

Brehs you need to do yourself a favor a watch it BUT it’s in Spanish subs. If that doesn’t bother you then go watch it straight sleeper horror movie of the year

Last edited:

It's_Nade

All Star
Daps
Watched Stage Fright

That owl mask is dope. The one location theater setting, the gore, the music, the foggy atmosphere. It’s not perfect and there are some plot holes but it’s everything that I love about 80’s horror. Will definitely be revisiting this one a lot.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Watched Stage Fright

That owl mask is dope. The one location theater setting, the gore, the music, the foggy atmosphere. It’s not perfect and there are some plot holes but it’s everything that I love about 80’s horror. Will definitely be revisiting this one a lot.
It's one of my favorite 80's slashers. I think the Owl Mask is ELITE! The gore is up there with all the top dogs, and I love the ending. That security dude let everyone know he was strapped and ready, and came up big when it counted :mjlol:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Progress Report:
1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)

7. Choose Your Own *I picked Incantation (Netflix)*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)

13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)
19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Drag Me to Hell:
Drag Me to Hell is absolute insanity in a manner that only Sam Raimi can achieve. The whole "let's trick a spirit into possessing a goat, then kill the goat" scene is spectacular madness after a movie chock full of crazy. It's never a particularly scary movie, but pure grossout fun instead. There are some deadite vibes to it that I appreciate as an Evil Dead stan.

Stagefright:
This is my pick for most underrated 80's slasher. It has all the key elements to a great slasher movie. The killer's mask should be iconic; the kills are gory and creative; the setting is closed in but varied enough to work; and there's just enough plot to tie it all together. It's definitely not perfect, but imperfections all feel like they add 80's flavor to the affair. You can also add in that the old cameras and music create a waking dream atmosphere which only really works in the 70s to early 90's footage.

Dog Soldiers:
This movie reminded me of a Predator-type action flick on first-watching. In subsequent watches, the action is still there but it's the sense of humor that I enjoy the most. Things like a dude talking trash right before getting snatched out a window; or an operation to put a dude's guts back into his gut using super glue...this shyt is over the top in the best ways.

The werewolves also deserve a shoutout. Their costumes are great and they move unlike any other werewolves in cinema (because professional dancers were hired instead of traditional stunt people).

Funhouse:
I kinda love that the first half of this flick is pretty much just a carnival trip. It's got some humor and a few light jump scares, but it's sorta just some characters having fun with the attractions. It kicks into a full horror movie in the second half, which is also plenty of fun. The final girl is low-key pretty dope here...she seems completely helpless until she's down to herself, but damn does she step up and fight like hell.

That said, I have one big nitpick about this flick. The little brother's entire plot feels unnecessary. His role doesn't feel like it has much of an impact on anything that happens with the main characters; and I think all of his film time would be better served characterizing the carnival workers more.

Bonus Watch - Smile:
I really just think Smile is a great horror movie in the vein of the Ring (USA version) and It Follows; with a mystery and a curse for the MC to resolve. There are a lot of great scare set-ups, even if some of the jump scares fall back to "let's get real quiet and then...RANDOM LOUD NOISE!" This is the type of movie where a good sound system and a dark room are essential. The more immersed you get the easier it will be to enjoy.