Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm hoping to hit one of the new exorcist or Saw X this weekend. Time permitting, I'd make it a double-feature.

I'm hearing a lot of love for Saw X from the horror community, and lot of hate from non-horror related reviewers. I feel like that's probably a good sign.

I feel like I got a bunch of the new Exorcist spoiled by going to the Universal Studios haunted house based on the movie. But at the same time, there were some scenes in the haunted house that I'd like to see acted out on screen.

saw x was decent, not amazing but it felt like someone in corporate was like “lets do a saw for the latino market” because i feel it came out of nowhere lol. That said if they choose to tie it in to the bigger universe/story and this wasnt a one off then it wasnt a bad entry but we will see

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)

6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)
7. *Choose your own*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)
19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

I peeped a couple more off the horror list, two flicks I've really been looking forward to off the list.

Lets Scare Jessica To Death has this dope trait where a lot of weird shyt is happening, but everyone acts normal. You're watching it from Jessica's POV and everyone acknowledges that she sees and hears things, but you're still caught in the weirdness of it. There's a dinner scene early on where everyone's eating raw bloody meat, and no one ever reacts to it. They just go about their business. I remembered that scene off my first watch, but there were a handful more that I caught on this second watch.

Some other stuff stood out this time too. The lack of women in the town, the hints of hypnosis/mesmerizing, and I still can't figure out what to make of the hearse or cello case that looks like a coffin. So much is questionable because Jessica's an openly unreliable POV, and I think that's why I'll revisit this flick once in awhile for different takes.
I want to give it a, "it's all in her head" watch and see if that's even possible with everything we're given.

High Tension is my first French Extremity film from when I was younger. At a time when Jump Scares were starting to take off, High Tension practically ignores that option. It goes from extreme acts of violence to the MC hiding, and that really works. We're aware of the consequences if she gets caught, because we just saw a man get beheaded using a staircase and a dresser...so the quiet moments are tense without needing some cathartic jump.

On the weaknesses tip, I'd say that the best two kills are the first ones. The rest of the movie is focused on chasing and hiding, so the kills are faster and less creative. But that's a minor quibble.

I know a lot of people hate the twist and how it doesn't really work with some of the scenes from the movie. But I can trade some plot cohesion for the payoff where one of the best Final Girls in any slasher (IMHO) turns out to be the slasher himself. I get the complaint, but I give it a pass because the impact on initial viewing is potent...and then they end with the only jump scare of the film, which is kinda dope.

Next up for me, Deep Red...

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Of course they have a seance with some random they meet in their home and let her stay. How did they not realize she's the girl in the photo:dahell:

Yea I noticed there were no women in the town. All the guys except the antique guy were all scared up too. I think she ghosted them after she sucked their soul out. I know the antique guy said she was a vampire but I think she's a ghost. She could be either or both but she was out in the sun and had a reflection in the mirror. At the same time she couldn't leave her family's property.

I think Jessica's husband was trying to get rid of her and send her back to the mental hospital. He wasted no time banging emily. The music in the film was great. Speaking of film going from Trick R Treat and 30 Days of Night to this I can just say movies shot on film look much better. The movie was slow burn and I didn't find anything scary. I really liked the talking in the head. Maybe I was just so caught up in the story. If this was an A24 movie I'm guessing people would say they're trying to talk about how men abandon their wives for sex. I don't know if it was common in the 70s for guys to have their wife committed if they felt their wife didn't obey them or they wanted to sleep with someone else.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Not shot to anybody. Idk who rec’d the movies on list (i think i recd 5ish) just here for the experience. I try to appreciate something in everything that i watch. Lets scare Jessica just didn’t do it for me. Beautiful scenes tho, something dreamy bout it
out now

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Of course they have a seance with some random they meet in their home and let her stay. How did they not realize she's the girl in the photo:dahell:

Yea I noticed there were no women in the town. All the guys except the antique guy were all scared up too. I think she ghosted them after she sucked their soul out. I know the antique guy said she was a vampire but I think she's a ghost. She could be either or both but she was out in the sun and had a reflection in the mirror. At the same time she couldn't leave her family's property.

I think Jessica's husband was trying to get rid of her and send her back to the mental hospital. He wasted no time banging emily. The music in the film was great. Speaking of film going from Trick R Treat and 30 Days of Night to this I can just say movies shot on film look much better. The movie was slow burn and I didn't find anything scary. I really liked the talking in the head. Maybe I was just so caught up in the story. If this was an A24 movie I'm guessing people would say they're trying to talk about how men abandon their wives for sex. I don't know if it was common in the 70s for guys to have their wife committed if they felt their wife didn't obey them or they wanted to sleep with someone else.
Yeah, this kinda felt like a movie about gaslighting, before gaslighting was a thing. The crazy part about the voice in her head is that sometimes it's saying what's clear for everyone to see, but nobody's acknowledging (she gets jealous a few times, and it makes sense why). Like, this second watch had me wondering if she was hearing more than one ghost. I agree that it's not really scary, more creepy than anything. But it's thought-provoking as hell to me.

Not shot to anybody. Idk who rec’d the movies on list (i think i recd 5ish) just here for the experience. I try to appreciate something in everything that i watch. Lets scare Jessica just didn’t do it for me. Beautiful scenes tho, something dreamy bout it
No worries fam, it's a really outside-the-box movie and I can definitely understand people not feeling it. These lists always wind up with a few movies that I'm not really feeling, but they're also good for introducing me to some new movies I like. Agreed on the dreamy feel too, even during the normal scenes it's got the weird "end of Carry" vibe.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps

I mainly like horror movies for the story and atmosphere, and characters to a lesser extent. I think I recommended 2 but there's a bunch I wanted to rewatch on there like 1408, TrT, and Alien(Think I want to watch the whole series idk).

Last week I watched all 3 of the In the Search of Darkness documentaries so I want to watch some BS. I mean some BS like this but I know I'm probably the only person that wants to see something like this and most people would rather watch a straight forward horror movie, especially this month.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, this kinda felt like a movie about gaslighting, before gaslighting was a thing. The crazy part about the voice in her head is that sometimes it's saying what's clear for everyone to see, but nobody's acknowledging (she gets jealous a few times, and it makes sense why). Like, this second watch had me wondering if she was hearing more than one ghost. I agree that it's not really scary, more creepy than anything. But it's thought-provoking as hell to me.

Damn this is hard to put in text :pachaha:

I think the voice in her head that has her talking voice is her normal inner thought and she isn't crazy. I think its up to interpretation if Emily can talk to her through esp or if Jessica is imagining what Emily is thinking and uses Emily's voice in her head.

I enjoy talking about the movies though and going over them. I watched Possessor a couple weeks ago and I'm curious what people's take is on that. I was watching the Dead Meat Podcast episode on the movie and where I'm at they had a different take on what was going on than me.

I think I'm going to watch Crimes of the Future from his dad. First I might watch American Mary because I thing they have a similar theme.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Damn this is hard to put in text :pachaha:

I think the voice in her head that has her talking voice is her normalness. I think its up to interpretation if Emily can talk to her through esp or if Jessica is imagining what Emily is thinking and uses Emily's voice in her head.

I enjoy talking about the movies though and going over them. I watched Possessor a couple weeks ago and I'm curious what people's take is on that. I was watching the Dead Meat Podcast episode on the movie and where I'm at they had a different take on what was going on than me.

I think I'm going to watch Crimes of the Future from his dad. First I might watch American Mary because I thing they have a similar theme.
I feel you on the voice interpretation. That was basically my take after first viewing. The voice started off as being Jessica, but then Emily started to cut in more and more. But this time around I was wondering if the girl they chase down who doesn't talk is also one of the voices sneaking in. Which had me going wild with the theories. Like this lady might not be crazy, she might just be hella atuned to the dead (ie: the kids in Stir of Echoes or the Sixth Sense). All the dudes are like "this bytch is crazy" but she's just locked in...that'd explain why she felt a presence in the cemetery before they even met Emily or drove to the place.

Here's my Possessor hot take: The post-mission interviews aren't meant to make sure she's back to her normal self. They're checking to see if she's lost her connections to herself. That's why it's okay when she can't remember certain objects, but when she mentioned "feeling bad" about killing and mounting the butterfly, it gets a follow-up question. I only just recently watched Infinity Pool, so I think I might just be locked in on the concept of Ego Death :mjlol:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I feel you on the voice interpretation. That was basically my take after first viewing. The voice started off as being Jessica, but then Emily started to cut in more and more. But this time around I was wondering if the girl they chase down who doesn't talk is also one of the voices sneaking in. Which had me going wild with the theories. Like this lady might not be crazy, she might just be hella atuned to the dead (ie: the kids in Stir of Echoes or the Sixth Sense). All the dudes are like "this bytch is crazy" but she's just locked in...that'd explain why she felt a presence in the cemetery before they even met Emily or drove to the place.

Here's my Possessor hot take: The post-mission interviews aren't meant to make sure she's back to her normal self. They're checking to see if she's lost her connections to herself. That's why it's okay when she can't remember certain objects, but when she mentioned "feeling bad" about killing and mounting the butterfly, it gets a follow-up question. I only just recently watched Infinity Pool, so I think I might just be locked in on the concept of Ego Death :mjlol:

That was their take too.

I thought Colin was inside of her head now. I thought he brought up the feeling bad part to try say what he thought she'd say. Kind of like their consciousness are melded together. I think I got that take because the whole time I thought Vos was doing the possessings because she was bored of her everyday life and liked the excitement of being different people and liked the violence, which is why I she never used a gun.

I thought the whole her not being able to shoot herself to get out was because the person was in control or she was becoming too much that person. I also thought Jennifer Jason Leigh wanted her to quit because she was too far gone like a cop that forgets their undercover. I must have missed something because I don't remember a scene where JJL wants her to leave her family and work for the company more. I must have been on auto pilot and drew in the blanks from over movies or shows about cops choosing to be undercover instead of with their family.