Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I like how the 4k box set is only the first 4 movies. They're like fukk it we already know you don't the other 6 movies :dead:

I liked the remake but I feel like it was too safe. I never knew Kevin Yagher directed movies much less this one. This was actually the first Hellraiser movie I ever saw.

I got a question. I heard of a movie that sounded interesting. It's about a brother and sister. One of the siblings is looking after the other that's become sick. I'm not sure if they explicitly say it or not but it ends up being that the sick sibling is becoming a vampire. I've been looking at vampire movie summaries and haven't found one that matches it.
Bloodlines is definitely the one where they said "eff it, we're going for it" and that makes it stand out above the rest of the fodder that followed the first two Hell Raiser movies. Those first two are classics and it's all downhill from there.

For the movie you're talking about. It sounds like a joint I'd been meaning to watch while it was circulating the festivals a few years back. It's called My Heart Cant Beat Unless You Tell it To. I never watched it to tell you for sure that it's a vampire movie. But it was about a brother and sister who take care of their younger brother. He's sick and they have to give him blood transfusions to keep it from getting worse. I remember because the title always stuck out to me.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Bloodlines is definitely the one where they said "eff it, we're going for it" and that makes it stand out above the rest of the fodder that followed the first two Hell Raiser movies. Those first two are classics and it's all downhill from there.

For the movie you're talking about. It sounds like a joint I'd been meaning to watch while it was circulating the festivals a few years back. It's called My Heart Cant Beat Unless You Tell it To. I never watched it to tell you for sure that it's a vampire movie. But it was about a brother and sister who take care of their younger brother. He's sick and they have to give him blood transfusions to keep it from getting worse. I remember because the title always stuck out to me.

Yea I don't think Bloodlines is all that bad. I know it's a thing we're people talk about horror villians going to space but I dont think any of them are the worst movie in their franchise.

Yes thank you that's the name of the movie.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
i thought it was going to be some GEN-Z bullshyt article at first .
but its actually pretty good
I agree with a lot of this

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yea I don't think Bloodlines is all that bad. I know it's a thing we're people talk about horror villians going to space but I dont think any of them are the worst movie in their franchise.

Yes thank you that's the name of the movie.
I think that's a co-sign from me. I can't come up with any examples where it's the worst of a franchise...maybe Leprachaun in Space (don't know because I haven't watched it).

Jason X is honestly one of my favorite Friday the 13th movies. Bloodlines is top-4 or 5 of the Hellraisers. There's a Dracula in space horror movie that I think is entertaining at schlock too. I think it helps that a Spaceship is a great setting for a horror movie; it's got limited space, no easy escapes, and lack of familiarity means set designers can really be creative.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
I saw The Last Voyage of The Demeter and Talk to Me yesterday.

The Last Voyage of The Demeter is a sophisticated approach to horror that we rarely see, if ever. Dracula was published in 1897. We have countless adaptions about this novel, yet nobody cried about making the same ol' shyt or how Hollywood sucks at coming up with original content. I'm not sure today's horror crowd reads horror books, let alone has read Dracula, to realize where this originates from to bytch about it. But the film only focuses on one chapter, with a 2-hour run time, which let me know from the jump, the effort would be put into this film, so I was interested and had no complaints.

The casting is what made this film. Yes, the dialogue and play-by-play sequences will keep you invested, but this film required really talented actors to pull this off. I love the diverse cast, with everyone having different ethnic backgrounds and the main character being a black man, yet the crew comes off as an authentic crew (we know if this film aired in the 90s, or early 2000s, the cast would have been white Americans). Liam Cunningham was the perfect choice for his role, and he even sounds like the narrator from the audiobook version of Dracula that I have. We know the end result to the film because of the begginning of the movie and if you have read Dracula, but the film still makes you heavily invested into the cast where you hope nobody dies.

I see people saying the film was safe. The focus is on one chapter, and the setting is 95% of the time on a ship, so what can you do besides the best effort given? I agree that it could have been scarier in some parts, but overall the film did it's job making a 2-hour film not feel that long at all, while being entertaining throughout the movie.

I give it a solid 7/10 for a film that could have been a disaster in the wrong hands and cast. I imagine this will be one of those films that the general population will forget existed in five years. But the film will be respected and replayed by horror fans for years to come because I can personally see myself rewatching this a lot.
---

I was shocked by the praise Talk to Me had been receiving. The trailer looked stupid as fukk, and I'm tired of people pretending everything A24 makes is a classic. But the best advice is always to try something personally and then form an opinion. Honestly, it's probably not my movie of the year (Evil Dead Rise till the end fukk the haters), but I can proudly say I was wrong. Talk to Me will be considered a horror classic.

The film is innovative, different, and refreshing compared to the same repolished crap we receive in horror films. For example, I'm happy there wasn't some moral message about the cell phone recordings throughout, the film accepts what's normal in society now, and I appreciate that. If there are messages, it's not hitting the audience over the head constantly, say as another A24 film like Bodies, Bodies, Bodies does where the dialogue will throw you out of the movie with how they're trying to deliver a message.

I LOVE the setting in Australia. Horror is a genre in that American fans accept non-American content without pushback compared to other genres. We could know nothing about Asian or Spanish culture, but all of us love their horror films. It was cool being in an American theater watching an Australian movie that included Australian cast members, music, and setting.

This plot could have resulted in a shytty product directed by the wrong person, and this is why I'm not excited if there is a sequel. Part 2 would add a "new twist" to the franchise that wasn't in the first one, but when you boil the movie down to its core, most likely it will be the same rehashed formula that part 1 had, nor will the magic be there.

I give it an 8 out of 10. The film had a vision and was executed perfectly. You'll like the cast members. You'll be on the edge of your seat watching the characters interact with the hand. The beginning of the film was simple yet very effective in setting the tone. And as I said it's innovative so what we're presented with is very interesting.

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
New low budget Lovecraftian inspired movie.

MINORE (2023)
May gove ot a look.

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Toho Dracula flick (no Kaiju, though)
Lake of Dracula (1971)
Hammer inspired

Actually part of something called the bloodthirsty trilogy, gonna try to watch the other 2

The Vampire Doll, Lake of Dracula, and Evil of Dracula​

Decent for what it is

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
i thought it was going to be some GEN-Z bullshyt article at first .
but its actually pretty good
I agree with a lot of this

I pulled Alone In the Dark and Jack's Back off this list bc I hadn't seen them. I'd mark both firmly in the "decent" category but nothing special. Jack's back is quintessential 80's thriller-fare. It's got a really cool premise, but it feels caught between Hollywood and Giallo in a way that hurts both sides. Still an okay movie but nothing special.

Alone in the Dark was better because there are some epic performances from the cast. There are a couple of genuinely uncomfortable scenes (one with an oversized Psycho and a young girl really had me on worried for a minute). Doctor Loomis shows up as a way worse doctor, and the killer crew each has unique traits that are interesting (the preacher was my favorite). This one's pretty good, but it has a lot of the 70's/80's drawbacks.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This is a cool podcast concept. I haven't checked it yet, just heard about it and won't be able to check it out until I'm done with work. But this is a good spot to share the link (so I'll remember to find it and check out some of the episodes).

DEVELOPMENT HELL is the podcast dedicated to unearthing canceled horror productions, to find out what went wrong, and decide if they still stand a shot at the green light

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Gave this a shot off strength of the dude from Vikings being the lead and abandoned hospitals being reliably creepy settings.

But it wound up being pretty mid. Nothing really landed for me on the scare tip, the plot didn't bring anything new to the table (and that's almost a good thing because it might feel incoherent if it wasn't all so familiar), and it just never did anything to really stand out for me.

Props to whoever cut the trailer together.