Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I mention this movie once a year, because I'm a big fan. It got mixed reviews by the horror thread regulars, but I feel like it's an excellent example of ambiguity done right. So, horror thread newcomers, if you haven't seen it...let me introduce you to the closest thing Canada's got to The Thing.

Black Mountain Side (BMS) is about an archeological group that has discovered a likely pyramid buried in one of the coldest, most remote parts of Canada. The material they're finding dates thousands of years prior to the first known human structures. The crew loses contact with their supply team, their local work force flees the site, and now they're stuck with supplies and daylight running short while the people start to behave in increasingly bizarre ways.

It's paranoia done right. You get introduced to everyone, then watch as they break down further and further. Meanwhile, we get to wonder if this is an illness, a supernatural curse, or just the elements catching up to the crew. But everyone is either fighting not to lose his mind, or straight up snapping.

Weaknesses:
Not a ton of characterization. The focus is on the mystery unfolding and not the characters. Some of the visuals are implied rather than shown, probably due to budget constraints. It also starts kinda slow, the first half-hour is introducing you to the premise and it's a slow-build to when things really devolve.

Strengths: The atmosphere is elite, with sound-design that enhances it. You feel the isolation. The ambiguity is the big selling point though. You can theorize multiple explanations for what unfolds, and sell the concept. There's real existential horror here, word to Lovecraft.

Hate it or love it, I think more horror heads should watch and discuss it. Because it was a nice homage to The Thing, without any biting necessary.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
JB is decent/solid. Don’t remember much besides it being a revenge film.
I remember it coming out when HS was still a fresh memory for me and my GF at the time. I remember we enjoyed it for its sense of humor. It was ahead of its time, super meta. Ironically, all of the sarcastic inclusions were what they marketed the movie as.
Megan Fox made me eat crow.
full

She was good in this and good enough to where I don't think the movie would be the same without her. Seyfried (with them bug eyes) did her thing as well, and I was low-key crushing on her more than Megan lol. I enjoyed how unapologetically horror this got all the while tackling those exploitation themes. Movie would easily fare better with audiences today than it did in 2009, especially when we got similar stuff like Promising Young Woman that came out and had a modest following. Slap an A24 logo on Jennifer's Body and them stans would be calling it a classic already without even watching the film yet.

I read up on its development and apparently the studio had crazy beef with the director? The cut they ended up dropping wasn't the ultimate, preferred vision by Karyn and I'm kinda itching to see that cut get released, if ever.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Megan Fox made me eat crow.
full

She was good in this and good enough to where I don't think the movie would be the same without her. Seyfried (with them bug eyes) did her thing as well. I enjoyed how unapologetically horror this got all the while tackling those exploitation themes. Movie would easily fare better with audiences today than it did in 2009, especially when we got similar stuff like Promising Young Woman that came out and had a modest following. Slap an A24 logo on Jennifer's Body and them stans would be calling it a classic already without even watching the film yet.

I read up on its development and apparently the studio had crazy beef with the director? The cut they ended up dropping wasn't the ultimate, preferred vision by Karyn and I'm kinda itching to see that cut get released, if ever.
Seyfried got Furby eyes
81dkKe0akYL.jpg

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
What's this FUKKERY about rebooting my GOATEST zombie flick: Return Of The Living Dead:hhh::damn:
Saw this yesterday

:patrice:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
My favorite parts of Return of the Living Dead are Thom Mathews and James Karen. They really got down the chemistry of dumb worker and dumb boss. I don't understand why they brought them back for Part 2 but I can't complain.

I need to watch part 3.
Part 3 is bit meh but the ,love story element does something in a good way.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Well…without many new options and desperate for something fresh I took a dive into the Tubi originals :snoop:. The Tubi vault is the one place I go with a 30 minute policy. If a movie does nothing to grab me in the first half-hour, I’m out (sometimes I go as fast as fifteen minutes if the acting is egregiously bad or the dialogue is particularly bad). In this mess of bad to mid crap, I picked out two movies that I rated watchable.

Cabin Girl: A former "living out my van" vlogger experienced something traumatic that made her give up the van life. She's just moved into a cabin in the boondocks. Of course, her trauma hasn't subsided yet and weird stuff is happening at the cabin. There's also an urban legend about a witch that may relate to everything happening to her.

This was decent, but I may be grading on a curve. The acting was better than some other Tubi disasters. The plot had a lot of convenient happenings but it actually builds a bit of mystery and finishes with a fairly satisfying twist. In the Tubi Original batch, this stood out (but remember...this is the Tubi batch, so temper expectations).

The Deep Web: Murdershow: A dude makes a podcast investigating his sister's death. He finds out that his sister and her friends were messing with a website that catches people, auctions them off, then does webcam shows with the users paying to see depraved acts (on the dark web of course).

This one has a cool premise but underwhelming everything else...that is, until Brendan Fletcher's cameo, where he understood the assignment. The dude goes full camp with his performance, making for the most entertaining scenes in the movie. This one's campy, but it's got some really good ideas that could be the foundation of a good horror movie.

No Filter: An up-and-coming influencer messes around with scare pranks and gets herself cursed. Suddenly her account is posting "pranks" that she didn't do; people are starting to go missing, and everyone thinks it's just her pranks being obnoxious.

The redeeming feature is that this does make for a good allegory. But from scares to plot to dialogue, everything about it is flimsy. It's another solid concept that misses on execution.

F***, Marry, Kill: A group of friends attend a friend's funeral after she committed suicide. But there's some sinister power at the house, causing people to act strange and bad things to happen.

So here's the thing...the dead friend had a mental breakdown because she was dating a member of her friend group and wanted to wait until marriage for sex. But everyone else in the friend group had an orgy, including her BF. She walked in on the group sesh, wound up in a psyche ward, and eventually took herself out. It's a pretty wild backstory. But to be fair, there's an actual attempt at a backstory and twist despite the ridiculousness of everything. So it's a contender on my "so bad, it's good" list.

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Well…without many new options and desperate for something fresh I took a dive into the Tubi originals :snoop:. The Tubi vault is the one place I go with a 30 minute policy. If a movie does nothing to grab me in the first half-hour, I’m out (sometimes I go as fast as fifteen minutes if the acting is egregiously bad or the dialogue is particularly bad). In this mess of bad to mid crap, I picked out two movies that I rated watchable.
Damn Breh
You did that ... so we would not have to. :russ:

i can't watch Tubi for horror ... most of their original stuff is Basura
Tubi actually made me hate a kane Hodder movie.

Now if its fukkery for fukkery's sake - i am all for it , tubi delivers constantly
their horror -not so much.

I did watch The Blackening while on vacation ( 2 Margaritas in)
i was..........whelmed , I have seen better and seen worse
actually an interesting premise, funny , and thoughtful with some of the messages, maybe too meta (or self aware) for some items (like the Friends Scene)
May watch again

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Damn Breh
You did that ... so we would not have to. :russ:

i can't watch Tubi for horror ... most of their original stuff is Basura
Tubi actually made me hate a kane Hodder movie.

Now if its fukkery for fukkery's sake - i am all for it , tubi delivers constantly
their horror -not so much.

I did watch The Blackening while on vacation ( 2 Margaritas in)
i was..........whelmed , I have seen better and seen worse
actually an interesting premise, funny , and thoughtful with some of the messages, maybe too meta (or self aware) for some items (like the Friends Scene)
May watch again

Yeah fam, I wanted to see if Tubi has made any improvements since I do appreciate the Terror Train remake. But they're still throwing a lot of weak ish at the wall. Tubi's originals are mostly good for laughing at the mess.

And I agree with you about the Blackening. It was pretty good, but not much more than that. But honestly, that's how I feel about most of the big horror properties to come out this year. We're at the halfway point of the year and I can't name five films that really stood out for me.

Malum, Evil Dead Rise, and Infinity Pool are probably my top three. Meanwhile, all the hype beasts were weak. Skinamarink, Outwaters, and Huesera were all critically acclaimed and left me completely underwhelmed.