Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So bad it's good chronicles: I'm digging through the streaming services for low-budget horror worth a damn. These usually suck, with cheap effects, and bad acting...but every once in awhile you find a dope premise, creative cinematography, or a "so bad it's good" comedy gem.

Sleep Walk Kill: This joint has hammy acting, but a decent premise. A weird noise rings out that no one can explain. Now, when people fall asleep, they go on murder sprees. It's reverse Freddy Kreuger, fall asleep and you'll kill instead of die. It's the self-awareness that makes this a passable time-sink. Nobody takes themselves too seriously; the dialogue is crammed with jokes and one-liners (some corny but some genuinely funny bits). There's just something about establishing the sleep threat, and then having a dude walk up the road with a sleep apnea mask on and a knife in his hand that cracks me up.

Morbid: Whereas Sleep Walk Kill feels self-aware, this one's loaded with unintentional comedy. Four old-HS friends link back up despite having history and drama. One girl brought a weird game back from abroad, that looks a lot more like a damned curse ritual. They play the game and one-by-one their responses to a series of questions at the beginning leads them to doom.

The acting is wonky, the plot is disjointed, and the kills are ridiculous. But the kills are all kinda hilarious. Nobody ever screams, even with people five feet away that could help. Character choices only make sense if they are trying to get killed. None of it makes sense! But that's kinda why I couldn't stop watching.

The Midnight Man: Imagine a horror movie that spent all its budget on casting Robert Englund and Lin Shaye in support roles, where all they're supposed to do is act crazy. Now imagine they had to cheap it out on writers, main cast, and a bunch of bad CGI to go with it. You get the Midnight Man! It's only worth watching for Robert Englund and Lin Shaye's over the top performances...but they're soooo good. This joint's a guilty pleasure of mine, I always suggest it for this category.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Why was X so good but Pearl so mid? I'm praying they finish strong with Maxine
I think it's because even though X and Pearl are plot-connected, they're completely different styles of movies. X is this gritty slasher out of the grindhouse 70's. Pearl is an old-school Disney Musical with a killer trapped inside.

With Maxxxine, I assume we're gonna get a late-80's, early-90's theme. I've got high hopes. My favorite Ti West movie is House of the Devil which is early 80's cult horror themed. So, I'm optimistic that Ti will do something dope with over-the-top brutality that slashers were taking on to try and stand out.

One interesting bit of information: Between Pearl and X, we see how much time has warped Pearl into a different kinda crazy. Ti West and Mia Goth have implied a similar kinda plan for Maxine. They didn't give any other information, so how she's changed is up in the air. But I'm really looking forward to it.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I liked the movie Becky. A revenge horror where the girl is killing a bunch of neonazis feels like an easy premise to get behind. It's also an easy premise to make compelling sequels out of. The Wrath of Becky was fun as hell

Becky's gone full Laurie Strode training arc. She's damaged after the stuff from the original, but also ready to BODY anyone that messes with her. So when the next batch of White Supremacists come along, she's even more of a badass than last time. The bad guys are easy to hate, the kills are wild, and the plot doesn't try to do too much. It's just a good old-fashioned revenge film.

It kinda reminds me of John Wick's ability to keep pumping out new films...you don't need to do much with the plot for the sequels to land. Just give us hateable antagonists and creative kills. There's cynical sense of humor to the proceedings that help keep it from getting too vicious or dark. It's not winning any awards this season, but it's a wild ride. I'd totally sign up to watch a third installment and make this a trilogy.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I finally watched Malum, and I think it's my pick for scariest movie I've seen so far this year. I think Evil Dead might edge it out overall. But in terms of just plain being scary, it's Malum for me...so far.
I watched this the other night. Some genuinely creepy moments but overall just made me wanna hold on tighter to Last Shift.