Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps

I never got around to discussing Evil Dead Rise.

I saw the film twice in the theaters and plan to buy the digital version when I have the money—honestly, my horror film of the year :ohlawd:
No. I'm not trying to say it's the best horror film in recent memory or even the best from the series. There's a meme (I can't find it) of two women fighting and next to them is a breh making a cool pose for the camera. The caption on the women says "Evil Dead 13' fans arguing their movie is the best" and "Evil Dead Rise fans arguing their movie is the best". The breh's caption says "Evil Dead fans just happy there is another solid film added to the franchise." I resonate with the breh :manny:

Before I get into what I really loved about the movie, I want to say I think Evil Dead Rise will be one of those horror films that will be enjoyable and rewatchable twelve years from now. The type of horror film that might scare the shyt out of your children, but it's still watchable since there's no nudity. Evil Dead Rise is a film you can turn on for a date and leave in the background as you clap cheeks. You can get home from a long-ass day of working, smoke one, and lay back as you watch this film for the 31122323rd time.

Do you know how valuable that is for someone in the horror community? I know some people dislike the film but the consensus is positive from Evil Dead fans.

--

Now to why I love it so much.

:jbhmm: Ellie might be my favorite demonic possession character ever. I thought Alyssa Sutherland PUT IN WORK, to the point I feel she carried the movie on her back. The energy possessed Ellie brings along with her look and dialogue put her in the rafters for me.

"Mommy sleeps with the maggots now" is an iconic quote imo. I need a shirt or a poster of that quote including Ellie.

I also thought Beth was a great final girl. She's pretty, and not implying she's goth or anything, but some folks have great looks that fit well in a horror environment like Katherine Isabelle in Gingersnaps or Ashley Laurance in Hellraiser; she fits the Evil Dead series. Nowhere near Sutherland's work, but Lilly Sullivan was a decent counterpart.

I didn't like any of the other characters at all. The kids were lame and the others were madly forgettable. This should be a testament to how great Ellie's character is.

Some parts of the story felt too loose and weak too besides possessed Ellie, the beginning was fukking phenomenal and I wanted more of that.

I hope we get another Evil Dead film ASAP. It should since this film broke records for the franchise, but that could also mean rushed content and trash stories so idk I'm just being greedy.

:wow: What a time to be a horror fan though. You can't even complain about the current state when there's literally something for everyone. What you might like someone might dislike, and vice versa, and that's okay.

I really love Evil Dead, the Hellraiser remake, and the new Scream.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
i'm trying to find this movie. I'm pretty sure it's still just pretty new. but i want to see it. It's a found footage movie called Streamer.

Amazon Prime lists it as not yet released though the date on the IMDB says May 10. It looks good, so if you find it definitely let us know!

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Shudder dropped Influencer yesterday and I'm fiending for something fresh, so I threw it on. The trailer's safe, but I think it oversells the movie tbh...

A social media influencer is doing her thing in Thailand and befriends a local. After her hotel room is broken into and her passport is stolen, she goes to her newfound friend. But there's more to their meeting than meets the eye, which will lead to chaos, lies, and a few bodies.

The trailer seems action-packed and tense, but I found it to be pretty slow. The first half-hour is set up what could be a really exciting thriller, but the pace doesn't let it. It's a rare case of "too many twists." They keep trying to throw curve balls, but that never lets them spend very long in a tense situation as they're scrambling for a resolution that gets to the next twist. But it's not a total lost cause!

The saving grace for the movie is the setting and the performance by Cassandra Naud (the girl with the birthmark under her eye). The setting is super nice, the cinematography takes advantage of it and I genuinely wanted to look up flights to Thailand despite the messed-up premise. Meanwhile, Naud steals damn near every scene she's in.

Overall, it's mid. They manage to spend the majority of the movie focused on the wrong tense situation. There's a late-game twist that I was expecting WAY earlier. Instead, they focus on the wrong characters and situations for too long. It's decent enough to throw on for a watch, but it feels like the safest approach to this kinda movie possible. Even the social commentary falls totally flat.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Shudder dropped Influencer yesterday and I'm fiending for something fresh, so I threw it on. The trailer's safe, but I think it oversells the movie tbh...

A social media influencer is doing her thing in Thailand and befriends a local. After her hotel room is broken into and her passport is stolen, she goes to her newfound friend. But there's more to their meeting than meets the eye, which will lead to chaos, lies, and a few bodies.

The trailer seems action-packed and tense, but I found it to be pretty slow. The first half-hour is set up what could be a really exciting thriller, but the pace doesn't let it. It's a rare case of "too many twists." They keep trying to throw curve balls, but that never lets them spend very long in a tense situation as they're scrambling for a resolution that gets to the next twist. But it's not a total lost cause!

The saving grace for the movie is the setting and the performance by Cassandra Naud (the girl with the birthmark under her eye). The setting is super nice, the cinematography takes advantage of it and I genuinely wanted to look up flights to Thailand despite the messed-up premise. Meanwhile, Naud steals damn near every scene she's in.

Overall, it's mid. They manage to spend the majority of the movie focused on the wrong tense situation. There's a late-game twist that I was expecting WAY earlier. Instead, they focus on the wrong characters and situations for too long. It's decent enough to throw on for a watch, but it feels like the safest approach to this kinda movie possible. Even the social commentary falls totally flat.

I watched this last night and thought it was fine. It's probably a movie more geared towards girls but I found it interesting enough. Not really any gore but I liked the story and how it came back around. I do agree that they spent too much time with one character that wasn't interesting. Cassandra Naud was the stand out of the movie, I do agree with that.