Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Movies I watched last week. I kind of went on HP Lovecraft spree :mjlol:

Bride of Reanimator - Not as good as the original but still a worthy sequel.

Beyond Reanimator - This wasn't good. It has Thor's wife in it and she looks good.

From Beyond - This was great. Great special effects and the comedy was well done. I like the story and will watch this again.

The Void - I've been waiting to see this and was kind of disappointed. The effects and main story was good. I got fed up with them repeatting two plot points. This had a lot of potential.

Guyver 2 Dark Hero - I watched this a lot as a kid. This is like an R Rated version of the Power Rangers with Solid Snake. Good action as well. Wish I could get a new Guyver movie.

Prince of Darkness - I liked the science aspect of the story. Some of the characters could have been more fleshed out but I liked that they showed how different disciplines of science needed to come together to solve a problem. I thought the way they changed people into followers of the Prince of Darkness was pretty lame. They just spat on people like a Dilophosaurus:russ: This movie had the most psychological creepy thing for me. The idea that every night you are fed a dream from the future about the destruction of man and its up to you to stop it:sadcam:

Into the Mouth of Madness - This was great. If you like Stephen King movies you'd probably like this too. I think this is peak 90s horror. Great story and cast. The ending was great. Matter of fact the whole last 20 minutes was a whole wild ride. Will watch this again.

Castle Freak(1995) - This was mediocre. The story was eh but it was executed alright. Kind of forgetable.

Dagon - I liked the story but the main character was terrible. I think if this was made earlier it'd have Jefferey Combs and would be better. The CGI doesn't hold up especially when you see the main bad guy. The practical effects are good, especially when a guy gets defaced. I'll probably watch this again.

Evil Dead - This probably has the best story of all the Evil Deads. If this wasn't a 40+ year old B movie it would hold up well. Even though some of the effects are dated the story brought me back into the movie.

Evil Dead II - This has a lighter tone but still ultra violent. This is the tone of the series that I think most fans like. Its closest to Evil Dead Rise and maybe a bit darker than the TV Series. Still fun and will watch again.

Army of Darkness - This was my first introduction to the Evil Dead universe. My dad had enough sense to not show me the other ones even though he had me watch some messed up horror movies as a kid. I had a fun time watching this, its a Looney Tunes type movie. I understand how older fans could hate it but I can't be mad at it.

Necronomicon - This movie was like 3 bad episodes of Tales from the Crypt. The last story was the most interesting. It wasn't executed well but it could be a movie on its own.
For it's lower budget it HELD UP:banderas:
guyver-trasform-guyver-dark-hero.gif

The Boyka before the Boyka
guyver-kick-guyver-dark-hero.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I got a couple of first-time watches to hit yall with. One movie is actually around 10 years old, a found footage joint called Final Prayer (or Borderlands in the UK where it was made). I really don't know how I slept on it for so long, because I really liked it.

Okay, lemme jump in with some thoughts on Final Prayer because I really enjoyed it. It's a Found Footage horror where the Vatican sends a team to investigate a claim that a church is experiencing miracles. First, let me just warn yall not to watch the American trailer for this flick, because it gives away way too much! But this UK trailer does the film justice without giving away too much.

Now thoughts...but bare in mind, I LIKE found footage horror a lot. I don't know that people who dislike found footage movies will change their mind thanks to this. But I think it's one of the better found-footage movies period.

How it works:
So, with the premise of a team investigating a miracle, we get three MC's who are each part of the investigation. You get Grey, a technology wiz who believes what he sees and hears. Then you get Deacon, who has seen so many hoaxes that he's jaded and constantly poking holes through evidence. Lastly, Mark is business-minded and over it all. You couldn't convince him with anything unless it suits his interests. Now you follow these guys with head cams through the investigation while cutting to their surveillance cams capturing weird things in empty rooms.

The movie basically operates in three scene cycles. First, we follow their investigation as weird ish happens. Second, we watch them discuss the occurrence from each guy's perspective. Last, we get surveillance footage to see what they aren't seeing; aka even weirder ish happening behind the scenes.

That helps create an ominous feeling throughout. Something inexplicable happens. Then the skeptics of the group break down how it could be faked, Grey argues from a layman's viewpoint, and then the skeptics tell stories or prior investigations that ended with horrific conclusions. The stories are well-told and dark, so they're almost as good as the actual scares. They set the mood and also endear all the characters.

Things scale up and go CRAZY by the end. But the creep factor is there from very early and just builds. It's great work in anticipation.

Why it's good:
There's a mystery to unravel, a population that's not fond of outsiders, and a creepy church with weird things happening. The scares ramp up effectively, but even the downtime is creepy, thanks to great shots and setting. You'll be staring at a crucifix in a dark room just knowing something's coming, or you'll hear inexplicable things like babies crying in an empty dark room. It's freaky as hell!

The characters are all likable too, and their positions on the happenings are understandable. Just when they might be convinced, some prank throws them back into skeptic mode. Meanwhile, with the happenings getting stranger, we're seeing each guy break down in understandable ways.

The twist and payoff are also top-notch imo. I guess this film will come down to how much you enjoy that aspect, but I thought it all worked and left me thinking about the conclusion...plus prayers and chants are hard to forget late at night after a horror watch.

The bad:
Some of the skepticism borders on plot convenience. They usually justify it with sad stories from past investigations, but I got annoyed at the characters' decisions a couple of times. There are also a lot of horrors built from things happening that you can't fully make out. The room's too dark, or something is heard off-screen. But unlike Skinamarink, it makes sense in this horror, and I actually thought it helped the horror.

It also doesn't fully explain anything. Some of it is left to your imagination, but that actually fits with the themes of the movie. There's enough to work with where you'll have a satisfying action, but details are left up to your interpretation...similar to how the trio each brings a different perspective to what they see.

Closer:
This is one of very few horrors I've reflected on this year. I'll probably talk some friends into peeping it, so I can rewatch and also get their takes on the whole experience. It actually stuck with me. That's a worth at least 4 Gun Totin' Loomises in priest robes.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I've seen that "Final Prayer" movie yall talking about. It's one of the better found footage movies. I think i've actually seen it twice.

But last night I watched this comedy horror call "The Final Girls". A group of 2010s teens end up in an 80s horror movie and fukkery ensues. Somehow i never heard of this movie until last night scrolling through a download site. It was entertaining.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I've seen that "Final Prayer" movie yall talking about. It's one of the better found footage movies. I think i've actually seen it twice.

But last night I watched this comedy horror call "The Final Girls". A group of 2010s teens end up in an 80s horror movie and fukkery ensues. Somehow i never heard of this movie until last night scrolling through a download site. It was entertaining.

I love The Final Girls, it's a great parody. Them struggling to keep the one girl's clothes on so she'll survive is hilarious. They got her clothes duct taped on :mjlol:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps

Damn good movies on this list.

I'm going to watch Matinee from that list. I've liked the Joe Dante movies I've seen except Small Soliders when I was a kid. I also want to watch The Burbs.

All these lists and movies that people have said they liked I just add to my Trakt. Keeps it easy to watch movies.