Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Huesera-2022-review-horror-1200x675.jpg

Saw this on Shudder. It was aight.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
the beyond (1981)
Jut watched for about the 10th time
A Fulci flick -The Godfather of Gore :banderas:

I saw an interview with Quentin Tarantino and he said this was one of his favorite movies

I saw this years ago and did not appreciate it, but as i have gotten older , i like this more and more

Gonna watch this too. you had me at gore :mjlit:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
damn never saw this
Go watch this- it’s on tubi and it’s oddly entertaining to me for some reason, Sam Jack murking and violating everyone on sight 😭- I guess bc it’s Monday night and my work week starts tomm so I’m having one last escapism binge before the stress level begins

Side note - Where have you been, sir??!!! you disappeared from this thread for like the past 2 years
:skip::aicmon:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Go watch this- it’s on tubi and it’s oddly entertaining to me for some reason, Sam Jack murking and violating everyone on sight 😭- I guess bc it’s Monday night and my work week starts tomm so I’m having one last escapism binge before the stress level begins

Side note - Where have you been, sir??!!! you disappeared from this thread for like the past 2 years
:skip::aicmon:
very busy with work and to be honest a lot of online discourse is just terrible. In most cases I'd rather watch a baby seal clubbing. Seriously despite my username even evil has standards :hubie:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Movies I watched last week. I kind of went on HP Lovecraft spree :mjlol:

Bride of Reanimator - Not as good as the original but still a worthy sequel.

Beyond Reanimator - This wasn't good. It has Thor's wife in it and she looks good.

From Beyond - This was great. Great special effects and the comedy was well done. I like the story and will watch this again.

The Void - I've been waiting to see this and was kind of disappointed. The effects and main story was good. I got fed up with them repeatting two plot points. This had a lot of potential.

Guyver 2 Dark Hero - I watched this a lot as a kid. This is like an R Rated version of the Power Rangers with Solid Snake. Good action as well. Wish I could get a new Guyver movie.

Prince of Darkness - I liked the science aspect of the story. Some of the characters could have been more fleshed out but I liked that they showed how different disciplines of science needed to come together to solve a problem. I thought the way they changed people into followers of the Prince of Darkness was pretty lame. They just spat on people like a Dilophosaurus:russ: This movie had the most psychological creepy thing for me. The idea that every night you are fed a dream from the future about the destruction of man and its up to you to stop it:sadcam:

Into the Mouth of Madness - This was great. If you like Stephen King movies you'd probably like this too. I think this is peak 90s horror. Great story and cast. The ending was great. Matter of fact the whole last 20 minutes was a whole wild ride. Will watch this again.

Castle Freak(1995) - This was mediocre. The story was eh but it was executed alright. Kind of forgetable.

Dagon - I liked the story but the main character was terrible. I think if this was made earlier it'd have Jefferey Combs and would be better. The CGI doesn't hold up especially when you see the main bad guy. The practical effects are good, especially when a guy gets defaced. I'll probably watch this again.

Evil Dead - This probably has the best story of all the Evil Deads. If this wasn't a 40+ year old B movie it would hold up well. Even though some of the effects are dated the story brought me back into the movie.

Evil Dead II - This has a lighter tone but still ultra violent. This is the tone of the series that I think most fans like. Its closest to Evil Dead Rise and maybe a bit darker than the TV Series. Still fun and will watch again.

Army of Darkness - This was my first introduction to the Evil Dead universe. My dad had enough sense to not show me the other ones even though he had me watch some messed up horror movies as a kid. I had a fun time watching this, its a Looney Tunes type movie. I understand how older fans could hate it but I can't be mad at it.

Necronomicon - This movie was like 3 bad episodes of Tales from the Crypt. The last story was the most interesting. It wasn't executed well but it could be a movie on its own.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
the beyond (1981)
Jut watched for about the 10th time
A Fulci flick -The Godfather of Gore :banderas:

I saw an interview with Quentin Tarantino and he said this was one of his favorite movies

I saw this years ago and did not appreciate it, but as i have gotten older , i like this more and more

Picked it up a year or 2 ago when I was on my cannibal craze and copped Zombie. Only seen both movies once and enjoyed them. Beyond has some dope music too.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Huesera-2022-review-horror-1200x675.jpg

Saw this on Shudder. It was aight.

I got very hype to see this one because it had 99% Rotten Tomatoes score before audience ratings went in. But that just made me pissed off because it's not bad, but it's just mid. Look at the overhype from critics...way too much.

I did like the body horror stuff a decent bit.

Sidenote: There's a LOT of "horrors of pregnancy" stuff going around lately...I wonder what the zeitgeist is to cause that (maybe the Roe v Wade drama).

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got a couple of first-time watches to hit yall with. One movie is actually around 10 years old, a found footage joint called Final Prayer (or Borderlands in the UK where it was made). I really don't know how I slept on it for so long, because I really liked it. The other is an Arrow movie called Two Witches, which has good and bad elements but is worth peeping.

I'll start with Two Witches since that's the one you're less likely to have seen.

Notes:
On the good side, this feels like Indy horror done right. You can tell there were constraints in the budget, so there's a bit of fast editing to avoid having to show us too much. But the director puts in work. There are some incredible shots and individual frames that are just plain freaky. While the actresses' and actors' performances are uneven, the leads do really well, particularly the girl who plays Masha. The movie doesn't really kick into gear until Masha's creepiness enters, and she kinda steals it.

Plotwise, this thing almost feels like it was meant to be an anthology. The narrative is linear, but it skips from one group of characters to a new set in ways that feel disjointed. But it does enough to connect things by the end that it all works (sort of). The beauty of the jumping around is that they basically said "screw all the midpoints, let's just go from scare to scare" so that you're never waiting too long for things to pick up or get creepy.

On the downside, the Masha plotline doesn't begin until close to halfway through. The weaker story starts things off a bit slow. I mentioned the plot feeling disjointed, and that never goes away. Until the post-credit scenes, I still didn't really piece everything together. It makes just enough sense not to break immersion, but they cut it close. I'd say the directing >>> the writing. This is Indy too, so while there's some solid gore and scares, the effects are mid at some keypoints (one scene at the end that's played up for drama wound up making me laugh out loud).

But, with slim options lately...this was good enough to throw on and give a shot. For top-notch witch horror, I'd go with Hellbringer instead. But Two Witches falls firmly in my "not bad" range.

gonna watch that found footage tonight. I’m a found footage fan. Props