Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I personally rank them

Scream
Scream 2018
Scream 2023 (?)
Scream 3
Scream 2
Scream 4

My Scream Ranking in order:

Scream
Scream 2
Scream 3
Scream 6
Scream 4
Scream 5

...still feel the 3rd Scream doesn't get enough props for bringing Syd's mother's past back full-circle in the trilogy, and Kevin Williamson's scipt predated Hollyweird Weinstein's Me-Too FUKKERY:dame::hubie:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Should I watch Shinkamarink? shyt looks like too slow of a burn.
I’d suggest going to the director’s YouTube page and watching one or two of the videos he has there. They’re a lot shorter with a very similar style. If you really enjoy it, try the film. If it’s lame or you lose patience, skip it.

I wasn’t a fan personally.

Here’s his page:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I really enjoyed Scream VI even more than I did Scream 5.

The kills were great and brutal.

The opening scene got my hopes up for a second that we were going to get a Scream movie where the killer was revealed to the audience at the start and we would then watch how the killer(s) worked to maintain their secret identity so I was disappointed when that wasn't where the movie went. But just judging it as a Scream opening scene this one was pretty inventive.

I love the Core 4 a bunch and while a part of me is happy they remained intact by the end of the movie I do have issues with how all these core characters seem to have Wolverine's healing factor especially the twins. Mindy was basically gutted in that scene on the train yet she was running around at the end of the movie like all she did was stub her toe. And Chad was stabbed up worse that Julius Ceasar yet somehow survived. Same goes for Gale and Kirby. If they don't want to kill certain folks then stop having them get shanked so brutally to avoid requiring so much suspension of disbelief.

The killers reveal was fine but the actors went too far into the "Look at me I'm being campy!" acting range.

All in all I give Scream VI 3.5 out of 4 Gun-Totin' Dr. Loomis' (sorry @Nicole0416_718_929_646212 )
FxBFZX6.png

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I personally liked Scream 6 a lot. I'll have to see it again to say for sure it's a top 3 entry for me but it's trending that way. I personally don't love the endings in the last 2 movies that much but I love everything up until the last like 10-15 minutes really. I feel like the OG's conclusions were a bit better imo. I think it's OG Scream, Scream 3 and then this one for me. Like this movie started off STRONG as fukk and it mostly held up throughout the whole thing. You can tell it took a lot from Scream 2 while still doing something different. I did guess the ending about halfway through but it didn't ruin it for me really. I am interested to see what they do with Scream 7 and I do hope they find a way to bring back Stu in that one. Even if he's not the main villain he should still be back.

A solid 8.9 from me.
My Scream Movie Rankings:

1. Scream (1996) - the OG is pretty much the perfect slasher movie to me
2. Scream 2 - the opening is iconic, the movie managed to be shocking still with the killing of Randy and I loved Billy's mom being the killer
3. Scream 6 - might be recency bias but I really enjoyed this flick
4. Scream 5 - aside from the ridiculous broad daylight front lawn death scene of Sheriff Judy there were very few big mistakes in this one
5. Scream 4 - Jill was an entertaining maniac
5. Scream 3 - Scott Foley's face offends me and the retcon was stupid but Parker Posey was awesome as Jennifer Jolie

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I went with the family to see Scream 6 and everyone found it really entertaining. It's a fun movie, Ghostface is more aggressive than ever, and the city-setting lent itself to some genuinely tense moments and scenes.

BUT...something felt off about it for me. It took all of the things that make a Scream movie and turn them up to the point of kinda-parody. Like Scream has always satirized slasher movies, but this one is entirely self-referential. It made it a fun movie, but I'm walking away not sure how I feel about it. Scream always has a bit of Scooby Gang to it, and characters have crazy HP...but this one took those to the max.

Also, I didn't get a NYC vibe from it. Idk if that matters to most, but I was looking forward to the familiarity and I just never really felt anything to make this city distinct from any other city in the Northeast.

Anyway, the kills were pretty brutal. The mystery was...very Scream. Kirby and Gail did callbacks. And I really like the Loomis daughter thru-line. So this gets a "pretty good" from me. It's got nice high-points, but this is the first time the meta-commentary got to be too much for me. That's crazy considering Scream 3 took place on a straight-up movie shoot and I was fine with it. :mjlol:
I felt that last year's movie was pretty meta and expected that this movie would take that up a notch because now the characters wouldn't just be referencing the Sidney stuff but now they had their own Ghostface experiences to refer back to.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I had a lot of fun with VI and it's not a shock to see it killing it at the box office, but I felt like the movie was too much of a crowd pleaser by the end. Joint went from a Top 2 to Bottom 2 entry in the span of two hours for me. There was a lot of back-pedaling that took away from what was otherwise some masterfully built sequences. But one of the things I do like about this timeline is how personal the violence is. Those ridiculous "one-stab and you're dead" kills from Ghostface that I was so accustomed to seeing in the original trilogy take a backseat and instead I'm greeted with relentless, multiple stabbings...even from the main lead. :damn:

On paper, the thought of having three Ghostfaces in the final reveal sounds terrifying as hell. This film however, I wanted all them goofies to put back on the mask. :dead: I couldn't take them seriously, just like how I couldn't take Roman seriously in 3 (which is wild bc that mf did his killings SOLO dolo :mindblown: ).

That last half hour is where the film truly loses me. Say what y'all want about 5, but Richie and Amber came across as way more into their roles than these three. They also managed to kill off a core, fan favorite in Dewey, another legacy character in Judy in broad daylight :myman::wow:, whereas these mfs in VI were sloppy throughout. I mean, the body count was high....but they were mostly nobodies and the "Core 4" is still intact. As far as I'm concerned, y'all failed. :hhh:

Also, the filming took place in Vancouver, so that's a big reason as to why it doesn't feel like NYC. I'm with you though. Movie probably feels like the Big Apple to everyone else besides the ones who have actually been there, lol. Minor annoyance that I ultimately didn't mind as the cinematography benefitted from the new setting's scale at the end of the day, IMO.
It was wild how the same crew that was cool with spilling Dewey's guts all over the screen were to squeamish to kill anyone of consequence this time.
I get that they love their Core 4 creations and that they likely didn't want to bring Kirby back just to kill her off for good,
However, Gale put up a great fight in her Ghostface chase scene so if this had been her swan song it would've been a good way for her to go out.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
anybody on letterboxd?

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Now they can:

Pay Neve what she wants
Set this up in Hollyweird on a new Stab streaming show
Introduce the deadbeat mom
Have guts and split the Core 4
Let Killa Sam embrace her demon seed in full

...:smugdraper::demonic:
Or they could set Scream 7 in London where Tara and Sam's mom is supposed to be at.
They could even have London be where Sidney is hiding so the whole thing all comes together.
Scream 7 is going to have to kill at least one of The Twins.