Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

actually a decent film made by high school students
quite professional, knowing this before going in, i was actually impressed

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
I really enjoyed Scream VI even more than I did Scream 5.

The kills were great and brutal.

The opening scene got my hopes up for a second that we were going to get a Scream movie where the killer was revealed to the audience at the start and we would then watch how the killer(s) worked to maintain their secret identity so I was disappointed when that wasn't where the movie went. But just judging it as a Scream opening scene this one was pretty inventive.

I love the Core 4 a bunch and while a part of me is happy they remained intact by the end of the movie I do have issues with how all these core characters seem to have Wolverine's healing factor especially the twins. Mindy was basically gutted in that scene on the train yet she was running around at the end of the movie like all she did was stub her toe. And Chad was stabbed up worse that Julius Ceasar yet somehow survived. Same goes for Gale and Kirby. If they don't want to kill certain folks then stop having them get shanked so brutally to avoid requiring so much suspension of disbelief.

The killers reveal was fine but the actors went too far into the "Look at me I'm being campy!" acting range.

All in all I give Scream VI 3.5 out of 4 Gun-Totin' Dr. Loomis' (sorry @Nicole0416_718_929_646212 )
FxBFZX6.png
:ehh:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
What would happen if you took the Japanese classic Battle Royale and mixed it with Shyamalan's The Happening and threw in modern social dynamics...You'd get Signal 100

A teacher hypnotizes his class so that if they take certain actions, they'll immediately off themselves. There are 100 actions that can trigger the Signal and it's up to the class to figure out what the 100 actions are to avoid them. Some actions are intuitive, "no violence," "can't use your cellphone" or "no leaving school grounds", but others are really random "no drinking coffee." What's more; the only guaranteed way to break the hypnosis is to be the last surviving student in the class.

So, some students are trying to figure out the signals to share with each other and work on surviving together. But others are keeping the actions to themselves and setting traps to trick classmates into making a mistake. That sets up a ton of drama leading into a bunch of really grizzly death scenes.

Don't expect realism here...this is a story about hypnotized students for God's sake. But disregarding realism allows the kills to be WILD and the story to go crazy in the best way possible. It's absolute madness. The teacher definitely gave me Battle Royale vibes (Kitano SLAYED that role in BR). It also has that overdramatic behavior that movies like Battle Royale had, which I could picture people hating but I always enjoy it.

Anyway...this joint is wild, but totally worth it. It's not Battle Royale level, but nothing is! This had a similar enough vibe to catch my nostalgia, but was unique enough to stand on its own. It's an hour and a half long, so not a big time commitment and it gets into the action pretty quickly. I really enjoyed it.

All my favorite movies I've watched this year are from Japan so far.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

A former free-spirit gets pregnant and begins to worry about her ability to raise a child, the lack of freedom it entails, and a the changes to her body. Her fears manifest in a haunting from the bone lady, and she'll need to consult healers and rituals to confront it. All the best parts of this are body horror sequences. It's sorta doing the Babadook thing of "raising kids isn't all rainbows and butterflies" but applies that to pregnancy.

It's definitely artful, with some really nice cinematography. The gore and hauntings are visceral with the cracking and bone breaking. But I was drawn to this by the 99% critical score on RT, and I was a bit disappointed. It's slow, with a lot of dream sequences that make latter scenes feel less impactful. But it's still pretty good.

The horror of a thot.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

A former free-spirit gets pregnant and begins to worry about her ability to raise a child, the lack of freedom it entails, and a the changes to her body. Her fears manifest in a haunting from the bone lady, and she'll need to consult healers and rituals to confront it. All the best parts of this are body horror sequences. It's sorta doing the Babadook thing of "raising kids isn't all rainbows and butterflies" but applies that to pregnancy.

It's definitely artful, with some really nice cinematography. The gore and hauntings are visceral with the cracking and bone breaking. But I was drawn to this by the 99% critical score on RT, and I was a bit disappointed. It's slow, with a lot of dream sequences that make latter scenes feel less impactful. But it's still pretty good.

The horror of a thot

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Kill Her Goats dropped this week
noticed Triple OG Kane Hodder is the killer!!!:salute:
will probably watch this week sometime

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I've said "this could have been shorter" for two or three recent Prime series, I swear. The Rig and The Devil's Hour come to mind immediately.

I liked Swarm too.
It had that Atlanta sense of humor mixed with the killer vibes. Then the unreliable narrator status from the last few episodes turned it into something different in a good way. That end almost felt like Taxi Driver to me. It sorta feels like a copout, but it's the type that'll let geeks put together a bunch of theories about Dre. I love a good character study with an abstract ending (like Broadcast Signal Interruption).
The Rig dragged in so many places. That one probably could've been done so much better in a tight 3 episodes.

You could totally feel the Atlanta vibes which was to be expected seeing who the two creators were but it took that Atlanta energy where things get weird and creepy to a certain point and just pushed past the line that Atlanta would either pull back or insert some funny shyt in.
Once we got to Episode 6 and realization that Episodes 1-5 and 7 were "the show" that Donald Glover mentioned he was making in the closing credits of Ep 6, it made my issues with the way it ended not as big as I would've considered it to be.
Honestly I am just mad they didn't give us a scene of Det. Loretta Greene interrogating Dre. That would have been awesome to see.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
What would happen if you took the Japanese classic Battle Royale and mixed it with Shyamalan's The Happening and threw in modern social dynamics...You'd get Signal 100

A teacher hypnotizes his class so that if they take certain actions, they'll immediately off themselves. There are 100 actions that can trigger the Signal and it's up to the class to figure out what the 100 actions are to avoid them. Some actions are intuitive, "no violence," "can't use your cellphone" or "no leaving school grounds", but others are really random "no drinking coffee." What's more; the only guaranteed way to break the hypnosis is to be the last surviving student in the class.

So, some students are trying to figure out the signals to share with each other and work on surviving together. But others are keeping the actions to themselves and setting traps to trick classmates into making a mistake. That sets up a ton of drama leading into a bunch of really grizzly death scenes.

Don't expect realism here...this is a story about hypnotized students for God's sake. But disregarding realism allows the kills to be WILD and the story to go crazy in the best way possible. It's absolute madness. The teacher definitely gave me Battle Royale vibes (Kitano SLAYED that role in BR). It also has that overdramatic behavior that movies like Battle Royale had, which I could picture people hating but I always enjoy it.

Anyway...this joint is wild, but totally worth it. It's not Battle Royale level, but nothing is! This had a similar enough vibe to catch my nostalgia, but was unique enough to stand on its own. It's an hour and a half long, so not a big time commitment and it gets into the action pretty quickly. I really enjoyed it.

All my favorite movies I've watched this year are from Japan so far.

I was sold immediately once I read that. Didn't even need to watch the trailer.

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
More fukkery - will watch

Monster of the deep
( basically an updated Deep rising)

I need to find one with english subs though