Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
was on call this weekend and had issues the whole damned time :snoop:
Just got done and was on the phone or in front of a PC the entire time .

I had to reschedule going to see Scream 6 until this weekend.

but seriously considering this and the Evil Dead flick my last times in the theater this year

Them coughing fukkas in Cocaine bear 'bout had me in the theater like this
lysol-big-bang-theory.gif

you could hear their damned chest rattling and talking about , "Its just allergies" with no damn mask on

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
My journey through Takashi Shimizu's Village Trilogy continues with the second installment, based on the most well-known of Japan's creepy forests: Suicide Forest Village

One day a mysterious box arrived and a curse began to spread all over. The source of the box is 'Jukai Village'. The village is hidden in Jukai Forest, a suicide spot that once you enter it, you can never come out.

To expand just slightly; a reclusive type girl, who constantly reads about paranormal ish online, goes with her sister to help some friends move into a house. While everyone's unpacking, the girl finds a hidden space under the patio, and the friends find a box. Everyone who comes into contact with the box ends up cursed.

It's a simple premise, that sets up a sort of cross between the Grudge and sometimes Blair Witch. But compared to the Grudge or Howling Village, this feels like a slow burn. There are scares from the opening scene, but they're much more reserved for the first 50 minutes of run time. I actually started to lose interest somewhat because the initial scares weren't hitting. But the slow-build did two things: It built up the mysteries surrounding the main characters and the box, and it allowed Shimizu to land some of the best sudden scares that I've seen in a long time.

Think about the well-setup jump scares from Smile, now remove all the indicators they gave you that a jump was coming. Sometimes shyt just pops off smack in the middle of a scene that was moving the plot forward. And it's not just once, Shimizu does it repeatedly. So everything in the last hour has this tinge of "I really don't know when or what messed up thing is gonna go down next." It was a unique and effective approach to scares that I really enjoyed. It caught me off guard more than once.

But it's a double-edged sword, because there are a lot fewer scares than in Howling Village. Howling Village constantly attacked you, whereas Suicide Village Forest takes its time. I preferred Howling Village, but both approaches have their charm.

Negatives: the Characters are pretty half-baked. There's a, barely there, love triangle and some flashbacks. But outside of the main two sisters, the characters don't give us much to connect with. The slow-burn makes it a fairly long runtime of just under 2 hours.

Conclusion: But those are my only major issues. I thought it ended stronger and there were some GREAT scares along the way. I preferred Howling Village for it's variety and constant bombarding of scares. But I rate Shimizu 2 for 2 so far in the trilogy.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I personally liked Scream 6 a lot. I'll have to see it again to say for sure it's a top 3 entry for me but it's trending that way. I personally don't love the endings in the last 2 movies that much but I love everything up until the last like 10-15 minutes really. I feel like the OG's conclusions were a bit better imo. I think it's OG Scream, Scream 3 and then this one for me. Like this movie started off STRONG as fukk and it mostly held up throughout the whole thing. You can tell it took a lot from Scream 2 while still doing something different. I did guess the ending about halfway through but it didn't ruin it for me really. I am interested to see what they do with Scream 7 and I do hope they find a way to bring back Stu in that one. Even if he's not the main villain he should still be back.

A solid 8.9 from me.

I`m gonna do a Scream marathon this weekend. I've only passively seen the earlier ones or not seen them at all as I wasn't really into horror as a kid.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.