Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

BlaqkSpliffin

Ni**as Still Weird - Me
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I`m gonna do a Scream marathon this weekend. I've only passively seen the earlier ones or not seen them at all as I wasn't really into horror as a kid.
I personally rank them

Scream
Scream 2018
Scream 2023 (?)
Scream 3
Scream 2
Scream 4

They're all solid but they range in story quality imo

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Watched Husk again for the first time in over a decade
forgot how intense this flick was
it didn't add anything new to the slasher genre
but what it attempted to do, it did it well

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Saw the new Scream finally
Almost all the Scream movies have a decent level of quality behind them
which is saying a lot for a franchises' 6th installment.
I enjoyed it, not the best in the series by any means , but definitely not the worst.
to me , it has the second best opening sequence in the series.
But "10 steps ahead"
ole' boy from arrow - he always plays an excellent surprise villain
survived this, will probably go buck wild in the sequel

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
watched this last night as well
totally different tone than what i expected it to have, more story driven with flashes of violence
when it does happen on screen its quick, brutal and efficient
good movie...just different than what i was expecting

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

ehhhh... its not bad just not good
just sort of there
decent twist though

one of the youtube trailer comments has me :dead: tho'

looking ok until the devil turned up looking like the grinch's homeless cousin

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I finished the Shimizu-directed Village horror trilogy with Ox-Head Village as the last stop on the journey. So the formula is more or less the same. A found footage introduction somehow drags our MCs into a famous Japanese forest where they're cursed by a local legend. The curse starts haunting the MCs and taking out people around them, and they have to unravel the mystery behind the hauntings. It's similar to the Grudge in that trauma and revenge are never far, but different because not all ghosts are vengeful. Family bonds play a big role in the MC's getting answers and having a chance to survive.

This time, a girl comes across a video testing the urban legend of ox-head. The video shows someone either being crushed or vanishing in an elevator shaft and that person looks exactly like her. So, she goes to find out who this identical person was and what happened.

I had Howling Village as an aggressive horror, with a ton of scares filling the runtime. Suicide Forest Village was a slow burn with big payoff scares scattered in a way that kept you on guard. I'd categorize Ox-Head village as the best narrative but the least scary. Shimizu goes for it with effects and some wild kills, but I think the CGI failed him in a lot of the biggest moments.

Shimizu makes up for a relatively less scary movie with a really compelling story. The mystery gets answers around halfway in, but the explanation sets our MCs up to have a good reason for facing the ghosts. This had, by far, the best characters and development. I cared to see things through, even if I wasn't very scared. It still had enough creepy moments to be a really gripping ghost story. Though, I think they could have cut one or two flashbacks for the same impact.

Either way, this joint was a solid ending to the trilogy. I liked Howling Village most, but this one's about even with Suicide Forest. Suicide Forest Village was scarier, but the story didn't connect as smoothly for me. This one really made me care.

Also, there's a repeat character in all three films. Ryotaro is a little boy that connects with each MC and has Shimizu's version of the Shining. It's a cool way to link each story since they share a lot of running themes about family, tradition, and betrayal.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

A former free-spirit gets pregnant and begins to worry about her ability to raise a child, the lack of freedom it entails, and a the changes to her body. Her fears manifest in a haunting from the bone lady, and she'll need to consult healers and rituals to confront it. All the best parts of this are body horror sequences. It's sorta doing the Babadook thing of "raising kids isn't all rainbows and butterflies" but applies that to pregnancy.

It's definitely artful, with some really nice cinematography. The gore and hauntings are visceral with the cracking and bone breaking. But I was drawn to this by the 99% critical score on RT, and I was a bit disappointed. It's slow, with a lot of dream sequences that make latter scenes feel less impactful. But it's still pretty good.