Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I went with the family to see Scream 6 and everyone found it really entertaining. It's a fun movie, Ghostface is more aggressive than ever, and the city-setting lent itself to some genuinely tense moments and scenes.

BUT...something felt off about it for me. It took all of the things that make a Scream movie and turn them up to the point of kinda-parody. Like Scream has always satirized slasher movies, but this one is entirely self-referential. It made it a fun movie, but I'm walking away not sure how I feel about it. Scream always has a bit of Scooby Gang to it, and characters have crazy HP...but this one took those to the max.

Also, I didn't get a NYC vibe from it. Idk if that matters to most, but I was looking forward to the familiarity and I just never really felt anything to make this city distinct from any other city in the Northeast.

Anyway, the kills were pretty brutal. The mystery was...very Scream. Kirby and Gail did callbacks. And I really like the Loomis daughter thru-line. So this gets a "pretty good" from me. It's got nice high-points, but this is the first time the meta-commentary got to be too much for me. That's crazy considering Scream 3 took place on a straight-up movie shoot and I was fine with it. :mjlol:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I went with the family to see Scream 6 and everyone found it really entertaining. It's a fun movie, Ghostface is more aggressive than ever, and the city-setting lent itself to some genuinely tense moments and scenes.

BUT...something felt off about it for me. It took all of the things that make a Scream movie and turn them up to the point of kinda-parody. Like Scream has always satirized slasher movies, but this one is entirely self-referential. It made it a fun movie, but I'm walking away not sure how I feel about it. Scream always has a bit of Scooby Gang to it, and characters have crazy HP...but this one took those to the max.

Also, I didn't get a NYC vibe from it. Idk if that matters to most, but I was looking forward to the familiarity and I just never really felt anything to make this city distinct from any other city in the Northeast.

Anyway, the kills were pretty brutal. The mystery was...very Scream. Kirby and Gail did callbacks. And I really like the Loomis daughter thru-line. So this gets a "pretty good" from me. It's got nice high-points, but this is the first time the meta-commentary got to be too much for me. That's crazy considering Scream 3 took place on a straight-up movie shoot and I was fine with it. :mjlol:
I had a lot of fun with VI and it's not a shock to see it killing it at the box office, but I felt like the movie was too much of a crowd pleaser by the end. Joint went from a Top 2 to Bottom 2 entry in the span of two hours for me. There was a lot of back-pedaling that took away from what was otherwise some masterfully built sequences. But one of the things I do like about this timeline is how personal the violence is. Those ridiculous "one-stab and you're dead" kills from Ghostface that I was so accustomed to seeing in the original trilogy take a backseat and instead I'm greeted with relentless, multiple stabbings...even from the main lead. :damn:

On paper, the thought of having three Ghostfaces in the final reveal sounds terrifying as hell. This film however, I wanted all them goofies to put back on the mask. :dead: I couldn't take them seriously, just like how I couldn't take Roman seriously in 3 (which is wild bc that mf did his killings SOLO dolo :mindblown: ).

That last half hour is where the film truly loses me. Say what y'all want about 5, but Richie and Amber came across as way more into their roles than these three. They also managed to kill off a core, fan favorite in Dewey, another legacy character in Judy in broad daylight :myman::wow:, whereas these mfs in VI were sloppy throughout. I mean, the body count was high....but they were mostly nobodies and the "Core 4" is still intact. As far as I'm concerned, y'all failed. :hhh:

Also, the filming took place in Vancouver, so that's a big reason as to why it doesn't feel like NYC. I'm with you though. Movie probably feels like the Big Apple to everyone else besides the ones who have actually been there, lol. Minor annoyance that I ultimately didn't mind as the cinematography benefitted from the new setting's scale at the end of the day, IMO.

Last edited:

BlaqkSpliffin

Ni**as Still Weird - Me
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I personally liked Scream 6 a lot. I'll have to see it again to say for sure it's a top 3 entry for me but it's trending that way. I personally don't love the endings in the last 2 movies that much but I love everything up until the last like 10-15 minutes really. I feel like the OG's conclusions were a bit better imo. I think it's OG Scream, Scream 3 and then this one for me. Like this movie started off STRONG as fukk and it mostly held up throughout the whole thing. You can tell it took a lot from Scream 2 while still doing something different. I did guess the ending about halfway through but it didn't ruin it for me really. I am interested to see what they do with Scream 7 and I do hope they find a way to bring back Stu in that one. Even if he's not the main villain he should still be back.

A solid 8.9 from me.