Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I feel you. Maybe I just started cabin expecting too much based off the “potential” where with old, I knew it couldn’t go that much further with it. Bautista definitely played a nice role. That movie could have gotten so much crazier and pushed the envelope of horror. Missed opportunity. Little girl played a good role too. She can act.

It's insane how much better child actors are these days. That girl was tiny and kinda bodied her role. Meanwhile, a lot of the name talent (dude from Mindhunter, Ron Weasley) felt like they were mailing it in.

I definitely feel you on the missed potential point too. Old at least TRIED to give us some craziness at a few points.

I think both movies have the same issue of not trusting the audience to figure much out. So instead of "show don't tell," they did a lot of "tell us something cool, then show a little bit, then just go back to explaining."

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I’m at home sick today, loaded up “Knock on the Cabin”- movie is starting off very weird - what is M.Knight Shalamaranon up to ??😒🤨

Also Reason#2444.625656099 Vol.99 of why I will never take a vacation in the woods
Update: Not feeling it 4/10.

Out of all movies I’ve watched this year - I would rank this the lowest.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
wife was watching the horror channel (think its called Legend now)
2 found footage flicks back to back :birdman:

Budget for this one may have been $10 and case of Modelo
the main characters continuously make dumbass mistakes the entire movie and i was rooting for them to die
its actually decently paced , but everyone is over the top
interesting use of cameras though

this one is actually decent , well paced, well acted and i hate found footage , but this one was rather enjoyable
this is an out of the box style type of found footage flick & I guess thats why it held my interest.
still not changing my stance on the genre ,though.

from the wiki
Common criticism aimed is at the film's use of the found footage technique and asks the question "who assembled this footage?".[16] The film's directors claimed that this was a deliberate choice, stating that "Audiences are way too smart to have the 'this is real' found footage wool pulled over their eyes anymore"[22] and that, much like Chronicle, "Devil's Due doesn't pretend to be footage that anyone has found or compiled, it's simply a story told through cameras that exists in that world. In that sense, it's a bit of an experiment that we were able to have fun with and as the character's [sic] lives spiral out of control, we're able to mirror that journey visually by shifting to different POVs. The movie begins very bright, very intimate and full of movement, but as the watchers close in our couple we shifted to a lot more of the static cameras that exist in the world, like the security cameras, with much wider frames. We hoped to use that distance and coldness to mirror the despair and hopelessness that was tearing the couple apart."[7] The film intentionally breaks many found footage conventions throughout, including the deliberate absence of a framing device (such as "these tapes were found by the police"), the use of an animated opening quote, a recognizable cast, a non-chronological narrative structure, and a music cue becoming the end-credits song.

BlaqkSpliffin

Ni**as Still Weird - Me
Daps
Reppin
DMV

this one is actually decent , well paced, well acted and i hate found footage , but this one was rather enjoyable
this is an out of the box style type of found footage flick & I guess thats why it held my interest.
still not changing my stance on the genre ,though.

I always liked this movie fr. I think it came out at a time when there was over saturation in the genre and everyone was just done fr. I liked the story well enough tho. This and As Above So Below are underrated from that mid 2010's era.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I watched this horror flick on Tubi called #Float (yes hashtag Float :hmm:) and it was horrible.

Here's the synopsis and trailer:
Things turn deadly for Kali and her friends at the annual river float, as a sinister paranormal force plunges them into a life or death struggle.

There is a scene where the lead character and her boyfriend are floating down the river in their couple's inner tube and they start having a serious argument about her vlog. This conversation takes place minutes after 2 of their friends have disappeared and 2 other friends have been killed (one right in front of them) but she gets mad at dude because he says he doesn't like her vlog. And they are so engrossed in talking about her fukking vlog that they don't even notice that they have floated into a roaring rapid.
It is the most mind-numbingly stupid scene I have ever watched in any movie ever.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I watched this horror flick on Tubi called #Float (yes hashtag Float :hmm:) and it was horrible.

Here's the synopsis and trailer:
Things turn deadly for Kali and her friends at the annual river float, as a sinister paranormal force plunges them into a life or death struggle.

There is a scene where the lead character and her boyfriend are floating down the river in their couple's inner tube and they start having a serious argument about her vlog. This conversation takes place minutes after 2 of their friends have disappeared and 2 other friends have been killed (one right in front of them) but she gets mad at dude because he says he doesn't like her vlog. And they are so engrossed in talking about her fukking vlog that they don't even notice that they have floated into a roaring rapid.
It is the most mind-numbingly stupid scene I have ever watched in any movie ever.

:dead::dead:
TUBI needs to be stopped.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Unrated version of M3GAN movie on deck - I need to compare and contrast.
Update:
spoiler-alert.gif

1. More F and Sh*t words
2. Cady - hospital scene is more graphic
3. The dog 🐶 - Deweyyy lol
4. Tinder
:deadrose:
5. More “Death” references
6. Pacing seems much faster bc they added extra scenes
7. More blood on display
8. They show different ethnicities, hair textures and skin tones for M3GAN prototypes

(- I’ll add on as I watch more )

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Alright yall...I feel like this MAY be an effect from all the recent disappointments I peeped. But I watched the Howling Village and kinda loved it. I say this may just be my reaction coming off the recent horror drought, because the Howling Village tries to do A LOT. It doesn't all work, but the stuff that works is really fun and/or creepy as hell.

A couple of mischievous teens test out an urban legend and craziness follows. It's the Grudge director working on a film about a village full of angry spirits. I love when a horror movies plays with anticipation instead of going for jump scares. Instead of always going for a surprise, this movie has scenes where the camera lingers on the creepy with a slow pan into the scariest part. Instead of trying to catch the audience before they can look away, this shyt challenges you not to. I love that kinda scare.

But be warned, it's kinda overloaded with tropes. There's a pretty interesting mystery, and everything that happens has some kinda greater purpose to the plot. But it tries to squeeze in A LOT...too much. Creepy kids, vengeful ghosts, seeming possession, curses, madness...this dude tried to fit everything in there. Some visual effects are great, and others flop badly. Some scenes drag a bit and the story has to reach pretty far to connect everything. So I could see people getting annoyed and think it's a little too absurd.

Now that I warned yall, none of the flawed stuff mattered. The first third of this movie gave me chills like I haven't had in a while. The second half slowed a bit, but still had some really strong scares and creep factor. The close brought the plot to a resolution that I felt was fitting, but I thought the scares and some character choices suffered. It was still pretty cool to see every single dot connected, even if some of it took turning off my brain and just going with it.

It's not perfect. I could see people really not liking it. But I STAN the OG Grudge movies and series, so this was 1000% up my alley. I loved it. I'm gonna check the rest of Takashi Shimizu's haunted village trilogy when I get time.