Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Found the first Insidious to be really good in the first half, then shyt got cheesy when they started exploring the Further. Ending was effective as hell though. Legit gave me chills. Found the Bride in Black way more terrifying than Darth Maul.

I get how it can be creepy to others but that Tiny Tim song is straight up goofy to me. :mjlol:

There always seems to be some shyt that takes me out of these kind of films. Like when those ghost kids wanted to play peekaboo behind Ethan Hawke in Sinister. Or when that Alice in Wonderland lookin ahh Crooked Man showed up in The Conjuring Part II. Just…no.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
This is good 👍🏽 Unexpected twist :damn::damn:!! Monique can act her ass off …sheesh. She needs to do more horror movies.
p23812171_v_v13_aa.jpg

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm finally catching up on my backlog! Special shout out to @Nicole0416_718_929_646212 for helpful suggestions. This weekend's watchlist was:

Pearl - Which I'm not sure I would have liked as much without my stanning of X. It's messed up, but I didn't think it hit the scares particularly hard until the second-half. That said, the cinematography is elite. Some shots were beautiful with vivid colors and cool shapes, and then it would go to some dark, twisted place. The monologue was great, though I still contend that the monologue from Resurrection is just as good (and even more twisted). It still kinda fell short for me, based on it being light on scares. There were really only two moments of real dread for me, both when characters are leaving the farm after realizing what Pearl is really like. But beyond that, it was messed up but without packing the high-points that I prefer.

So I'll rate it a good, not great.

Something is Wrong with the Children - Totally had my attention with the "pressure to have kids is scary" motif. Just having two MC's that are good with kids, but don't want 'em grabbed me. But this didn't do much symbolic scaring in that direction. It was more of, "creepy kids do creepy stuff" for the sake of it. One thing that I'm more mindful of these days, writers and directors need to be economical with the viewers' time. The characters shouldn't spend an exposition dump about a foursome causing relationship problems when it's the least important part of the story.

Meanwhile, there's an "is he losing it" thing that comes outta nowhere. The kids have no personalities before they go creepy. One side character just sorta disappears halfway through and pops back up way later. There's just a lot of stuff that either wound up on the cutting room floor or didn't get scripted. I doubt that would have saved this, because the scares were weak. But it mighta made it more watchable.

Waking Karma - I stanned Resurrection last year, so a new movie about a mother and daughter hiding from a cult-leader sounded fun. When I heard the cult-leader is Michael Madsen, I got even more excited. Unfortunately, this flopped for me. Madsen is kinda great, in a "what if Mr. Pink's torture scene from Reservoir Dogs got expanded into a horror" mode. But I'm guessing they only had the budget to pay him for a few key scenes. They relied on a bit of mystery and a twist to try and create the scares without him...and it all felt sloppy.

I think the major problem was lack of chemistry between the mother and daughter. But the twist didn't land, which turned emotional scenes into "wtf is wrong with these characters," and then the resolution felt rushed and unearned.

I rate it a "wait until someone clips out the Michael Madsen scenes for Youtube." Cool concept though...I'll keep an eye out for the creators.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The trailer looks really interesting. I'm definitely putting this on my short list to watch asap.
I liked it a lot. Entertaining. Wasn’t expecting much bc I didn’t see the promos but it was good for a lazy Monday afternoon day off. Mo’Nique and the lead female character are great in this - side characters not so much. You could tell Monique had fun with this role . 7/10.

Remember the movie MAMA with Octavia Spencer for which Mo should have been casted, well she finally had her chance to deliver. I’m happy for her that she is picking up more roles.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
watched some classic 80's fukkery earlier

Tom Savini effects

apparently this one had pissed lot of preople off

Joe Spinell was a real interesting character in real life. Dude was a hemophiliac and died after he slipped in the shower and bled out. Word is he kept the prop Savini made of his head as a souvenir. So when he died, the cops came to his apartment and saw all the blood and the fake severed head and thought they stumbled upon a real gruesome scene lol. He also made a lot of money off the Godfather because he hung out on the set for the whole shoot even though his part in it was basically a cameo.

Last edited:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm finally catching up on my backlog! Special shout out to @Nicole0416_718_929_646212 for helpful suggestions. This weekend's watchlist was:

Pearl - Which I'm not sure I would have liked as much without my stanning of X. It's messed up, but I didn't think it hit the scares particularly hard until the second-half. That said, the cinematography is elite. Some shots were beautiful with vivid colors and cool shapes, and then it would go to some dark, twisted place. The monologue was great, though I still contend that the monologue from Resurrection is just as good (and even more twisted). It still kinda fell short for me, based on it being light on scares. There were really only two moments of real dread for me, both when characters are leaving the farm after realizing what Pearl is really like. But beyond that, it was messed up but without packing the high-points that I prefer.

So I'll rate it a good, not great.

Something is Wrong with the Children - Totally had my attention with the "pressure to have kids is scary" motif. Just having two MC's that are good with kids, but don't want 'em grabbed me. But this didn't do much symbolic scaring in that direction. It was more of, "creepy kids do creepy stuff" for the sake of it. One thing that I'm more mindful of these days, writers and directors need to be economical with the viewers' time. The characters shouldn't spend an exposition dump about a foursome causing relationship problems when it's the least important part of the story.

Meanwhile, there's an "is he losing it" thing that comes outta nowhere. The kids have no personalities before they go creepy. One side character just sorta disappears halfway through and pops back up way later. There's just a lot of stuff that either wound up on the cutting room floor or didn't get scripted. I doubt that would have saved this, because the scares were weak. But it mighta made it more watchable.

Waking Karma - I stanned Resurrection last year, so a new movie about a mother and daughter hiding from a cult-leader sounded fun. When I heard the cult-leader is Michael Madsen, I got even more excited. Unfortunately, this flopped for me. Madsen is kinda great, in a "what if Mr. Pink's torture scene from Reservoir Dogs got expanded into a horror" mode. But I'm guessing they only had the budget to pay him for a few key scenes. They relied on a bit of mystery and a twist to try and create the scares without him...and it all felt sloppy.

I think the major problem was lack of chemistry between the mother and daughter. But the twist didn't land, which turned emotional scenes into "wtf is wrong with these characters," and then the resolution felt rushed and unearned.

I rate it a "wait until someone clips out the Michael Madsen scenes for Youtube." Cool concept though...I'll keep an eye out for the creators.
“Something is wrong with the children” could have been MUCH better than it was- highly unlikeable characters, annoying children, I didn’t see the difference in the children from before they were “turned” as opposed to the after. Both versions they were acting bad and goofy as hell.
:mjlol:
And no, we definitely did not need to hear the parents talk about their sex lives and whatever other stupid shyt about their marriage/friendships. One of those movies where I didn’t care who died, it became moreso, I’m continuing this movie to watch and see how they are murdered. Original version was far more superior.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This is good 👍🏽 Unexpected twist :damn::damn:!! Monique can act her ass off …sheesh. She needs to do more horror movies.
p23812171_v_v13_aa.jpg
Edit to my post ^

The victims: “———“

Mo’Nique: “I’m going to kill yewwww tewwwww, there’s nothing yewww can dewwww” 😭🤭

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I need marvel to make him Luke Cage again, but apparently they only want the :mjpls: actors from netflix.
Facts. Netflix is on dirty timing - I canceled my subscription after that “You People” bullshyt movie that I wouldn’t waste 5 seconds of my life watching. Bad enough they ruined the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and most of the recent black actors they give a platform to, have to come with an agenda. I’m tired.