Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
What was that new trailer for the black girl that gets invited overseas for a wedding and then finds out everyone is a vampire? I think it's called The Invitation but I can't find a trailer online yet. Anyway, they gave way too much of the movie away, including the end.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The Black Phone was really good. All rising tension with some nice emotional connections drawn to get you invested. It had a couple of clever jump scares where it wasn't too much and the theater got some release from it.

The only thing that never quite landed for me was one side character that felt too hammy for the rest of the film and stuck around well past serving his purpose to the plot.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
What was that new trailer for the black girl that gets invited overseas for a wedding and then finds out everyone is a vampire? I think it's called The Invitation but I can't find a trailer online yet. Anyway, they gave way too much of the movie away, including the end.
Was it V for Vengeance?

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This looks interesting

The final scene in the Smile trailer though...:huhldup:

FEYwJfF.gif

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The Black Phone was really good. All rising tension with some nice emotional connections drawn to get you invested. It had a couple of clever jump scares where it wasn't too much and the theater got some release from it.

The only thing that never quite landed for me was one side character that felt too hammy for the rest of the film and stuck around well past serving his purpose to the plot.
The movie did a good job at building the main characters connection to one another and that gave the film a sold emotional core that made the tension even greater when it seemed like bad things were maybe going to happen to them.

And I agree they jump scares were economical and well-placed in points were the film felt it needed them and not just to do it because that is what is expected of horror film.

I totally agree with you about the one character (if we are talking about the same one) and that is where my criticism of the movie need a bit of a longer run time to flesh out some characters and their reasons for existing in the first place.

Daps
Reppin
Denver
So this guy read some of my stuff on Bloody Disgusting last year and hit me up. Said he and his wife started a small publishing company and want to do a series of books based on classic horror movies. In fact, they want to make them similar to the 33 1/3 series on classic albums. so he asked if I was interested and if so, what movie do I want to write about. thought about it for a bit and told him the thing because Carpenter of course and its my second fav horror flick of all time. and I knew there was nothing else I can say or explore about my first fav (Halloween).

I'm basically looking at it in context. what was 80s horror and how does it fit? the all male cast and what 80s horror male characters were and what they are now. what the movie said about the era and what it says about this era. the look of it, Kurt Russell and carpenter's partnership, Black representation, etc. and itll end with what the movie says about 2022 in its 40th anniversary.
Definitely keep us posted. I’ll buy day 1

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The movie did a good job at building the main characters connection to one another and that gave the film a sold emotional core that made the tension even greater when it seemed like bad things were maybe going to happen to them.

And I agree they jump scares were economical and well-placed in points were the film felt it needed them and not just to do it because that is what is expected of horror film.

I totally agree with you about the one character (if we are talking about the same one) and that is where my criticism of the movie need a bit of a longer run time to flesh out some characters and their reasons for existing in the first place.
I think Joe Hill has caught on to a lot of his dad's narrative style in terms of building character dynamics and having that smalltown, everyone knows each other vibe. It definitely felt good to be rooting for the characters and not the killer for a change...feels like a lot of recent horror has relied on hateable protagonists for some reason.

I think we're on the same page in terms of the character. I could definitely see where some more time could have helped. There were a few spots of dialogue that felt like potential references to scenes that got cut.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A Bay Of Blood:ooh:

...the ambiance:fire:, twist-and-turns, body count, and unexpected ending:damn:

Friday the 13th bit this OG Mario Bava flick:boss: like Hov did Biggie lines:ohhh:

Last edited:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
@Jello Biafra ”EVIL” season 3 ep 3, I think they’re ready to dead the Dad in this series. Notice how Kristen was writing the Ten Commandments of “The House” for her daughters and she tells them “don’t lie to mom”, “you must tell ____ to mom”- it’s never “your parents or mom&dad”

Context clues tell me that the useless bag of bones who appears every 6 months for 6 minutes and goes off rock climbing is about to die -

😭 :francis:

grandma’s and Leland’s devil worshipping cult is about to send him 6 ft underground indefinitely and send flesh eating boy from the prior episode to eat his remains to cover up any signs of murder. Rip him - he will not be missed. Most annoying pop up non-essential character ever.