Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
My bad- DUAL
Is on amc plus streaming - which hosts the Shudder site. I just went ahead and paid the couple dollars more for AMC + content so I can have access to both
amcplus_Dual_boxcover.jpg

Idk about The Light House, never watched- I saw a snippet where one of the dudes was having sex with that mermaid alien thing and it was a hard Nope for me. Had no interest in seeing that shyt.

I’ll check out DUAL I recognise one or both of those chicks on the cover but the names are eluding me, girl on the left kinda looks like one of the doctors sidekicks from doctor who

Last edited:

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
I think those cover my favorites in the supernatural and body horror realm where I'd pump in most of that list. I'm guessing your favorite was Psycho Goreman...absolute gem and fits the bill of Power Rangers with blood.

On the Lighthouse...if you didn't like The Witch, I think the Lighthouse will be weak too. It's a super period piece with even less horror elements, which is replaced by more intrigue about who's lying to who. It's cool for the two lead performances but I've never felt the need to go back. I think the Witch is the best version of that kinda movie and the Northman is similar but better than the Lighthouse also.

Color out of Space feels unmatchable. The Void has good body horror, but that's where the comparison stops imo. I can't think of a body horror that comes close though without going way back to Society. I have the same problem with Mandy...it's so unique that I can't come up with anything close.

Vicious Fun feels like the best version of the fast paced stuff that Shudder puts out. I think that's the only one that hits the perfect balance of humor and thrills, but you'll be able to find a few interesting ones if you look for that pace (Spree comes to mind).

The best of the rest is more psychopath-oriented. I see you've got some Nicholas Cage appreciation, there's one joint that seemed inspired by 8MM (much different overall but the inspiration is there) called Broadcast Signal Intrusion. That's not really a match for what you listed, but it'd be a good fallback if you get through the gang of titles everyone's suggesting or just want a change of pace.
Psycho Goreman indeed, would love a film about the main man himself

I always crack up in the end credits when it shows that one kid who got turned into a giant brain with eyes sat with his family at the dinner table. Like what they couldn’t just turn him back? His only crime was not liking the little psycho girl back

I watched Mandy & it blew me away, the. Colour out of space dropped and that made me feel similar, nothing feels like either of them except Beyond the Black rainbow which is a real slow burn but that gets crazy too, idk if you’ve seen it but I’d say check it out if not, same director as Mandy.

I’m not the biggest fan of Nic cage (Is anybody really) but he seems to nail the recent horror stuff he’s been in, would like to see him in more after seeing his performance in Mandy etc.

Not heard of that one but I’ll check it out at some point

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
Have you seen The Endless before? I would say that has a similar vibe to Colour Out of Space without being much like it.
And if you are going to watch The Endless I recommend you make it a double feature with Resolution (which you should watch first).

I’ve not seen The Endless or Resolution but I’ve heard they aren’t direct follow ons or whatever from one another but somewhat linked?

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
You might be on the unpopular opinion side with your view on Hereditary but I'm pretty sure that most of the posters in this thread thought Midsommar was mid to downright terrible.

I only watched hereditary the once around when it dropped and have been considering giving it a rewatch. Midsommer I thought was absolutely all over the place & have no desire to watch again. Didn’t expect there to be other people that didn’t like it as everywhere I’ve saw it mentioned around the net people drop endless praise like it’s some horror masterpiece and I’m just like nah I don’t see it like how. I think thats kinda twisted my opinion on hereditary too, that’s the four films I always see people praise as the epitome of horror, Hereditary, Midsommar, The Witch & The Lighthouse

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
Can I get some good horror anthology recs? I love the horror anthology concept I’ve just never found a lot of ones I’ve enjoyed. These are the ones I’ve seen and liked

Trick R Treat - is there anyone who doesn’t like this. Was talk of a sequel a while back.

Holidays - Each segment is a different holiday, some sections are weak and some I liked

Tales of Halloween - Bit of a hidden gem, don’t see it mentioned much.

The Mortuary Collection - Clancy Brown is dope as the mortuary attendant

Some none anthology stuff I saw recently which I enjoyed if anyone has anything similar

The Wolf of Snow Hollow - I loved watching the sheriff slowly unravel through out the film trying to solve the murders

Werewolves within - has a lot of comedy so that might not be to everyone’s taste, I enjoyed it for what it was though.

Summer of 84 - was expecting this to be the typical 80’s (set in the 80’s) cheesy goonie-esque fest and it was somewhat until the last 20 mins or so and then it flipped the script fast

Ready or Not - Samara Weaving is dope & I need her in more horror films.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I’ll check our DUAL I recognise one or both of those chicks on the cover but the names are eluding me, girl on the left kinda looks like one of the doctors sidekicks from doctor who
That’s the actress from Jumanji :dead:she’s playing both roles- her original and her clone hence = Dual.

I remember her face bc I took my kids to see that movie. She did a good job in this. Like other said, the conclusion was mediocre but it was effectively entertaining for me.

@storyteller - the hip hop dance class with Jesse from breaking bad. I wasn’t expecting that, I thought they were going someplace else with that part
:laff::mjlol:

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
a buddy of mine dared me to watch this
he gets on these weird subgenre kicks and drag me into it
I'm working and get a series of texts text that reads like this.
"BREH!!!
Haunted fukkin' toilets,
we gotta do this....
for the culture!!!!"
I'm like :snoop: , but watch the trailer and jump in anyway

its so bad it could actually be classed as a horror comedy
not the so bad its good, the so bad, its funny kind

i promised to watch this too -

but... i.....just...can't....right now

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
@storyteller I just finished watching Spree - That shyt was wild! Thoroughly enjoyed it!
It doesn't take long to get going and never lets up.

Southbound? A little lower budget but it has some interesting concepts
Good call, I really liked a couple of the stories (especially the second one with the man in the hospital). There's a throwback that I've been meaning to get a hold of called three Extremes. I haven't seen it but the directors include Miike and Park Chan-Wook, so it's an anthology with stories from the guy that did Audition and the guy that made Oldboy respectively.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
That’s the actress from Jumanji :dead:she’s playing both roles- her original and her clone hence = Dual.

I remember her face bc I took my kids to see that movie. She did a good job in this. Like other said, the conclusion was mediocre but it was effectively entertaining for me.

@storyteller - the hip hop dance class with Jesse from breaking bad. I wasn’t expecting that, I thought they were going someplace else with that part
She really did body that role with the deadpan delivery. I want to see the outtakes from her training sessions with Aaron Paul for sure. That hip hop scene bodied me. I feel like it actually had some symbolic value too, since it showed the cold-blooded fight trainer had a different nature to him after all. I need to look up the writer and director...they've got a dope voice.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
a buddy of mine dared me to watch this
he gets on these weird subgenre kicks and drag me into it
I'm working and get a series of texts text that reads like this.
"BREH!!!
Haunted fukkin' toilets,
we gotta do this....
for the culture!!!!"
I'm like :snoop: , but watch the trailer and jump in anyway

its so bad it could actually be classed as a horror comedy
not the so bad its good, the so bad, its funny kind

i promised to watch this too -

but... i.....just...can't....right now

Bruh...

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

She really did body that role with the deadpan delivery. I want to see the outtakes from her training sessions with Aaron Paul for sure. That hip hop scene bodied me. I feel like it actually had some symbolic value too, since it showed the cold-blooded fight trainer had a different nature to him after all. I need to look up the writer and director...they've got a dope voice.
They were kicking it.

And the writer/director of Dual is Riley Stearns who made The Art of Self-Defense which I really enjoyed.