Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Just got a shudder trial as I was sick of the mid/mediocre shyt that Netflix & Prime drop horror wise and this is what caught my eye initially

The Wretched
Hellbender
Pyewacket
Slapface
Prisoners of the Ghostland (Not sure if this is strictly horror)

Any of those worth a watch?

Anything else worth checking out on Shudder?

Not on shudder here but I’ve been recommended to check these ones out as well

The Hive
The Void
Bad Samaritan
Daniel isn’t real
Super Dark Times
The Light House (Is this horror?)

Any of those worth seeing?

If you could drop ratings that you would give the ones you’ve seen from both lists if you can that would be super helpful

Also open to any other recommendations

Thanks, Ps. This thread still isn’t stickied?

Jello's response is legit. I'd also suggest using the thread search function because most of these titles have been discussed in this thread at different points in time.

My power rankings for your list best to worst:
Super Dark Times
The Void
The Wretched
Slapface
Pyewacket
Prisoners of the Ghostland (kinda an action movie...If you haven't seen Mandy, that one's even crazier Nick Cage stuff)
The Lighthouse
Daniel isn't Real
The Hive (the only one I really didn't like, the rest were at least passable).

Haven't Seen so didn't rank:
Hellbender
Bad Samaritan

Others I'd suggest from Shudder:
Anything for Jackson
Color out of Space
The Dark and the Wicked
Terrified
See For Me
Noroi
Await Further Instructions

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
yes^^^^

Yes^^^
Wasn’t impressed with The Light House

You have a good list. 👍
We were stickied at one time but not anymore, even though we have one of the most active and most participated thread in here. But i guess for some, the horror genre doesn’t merit the popularity as others. Anyway, I would also Suggest you add “DUAL” and “Anything for Jackson” to your list 7/10. The guys also say Slapface is good.
Add “The Boy Behind the Door” to your shudder list too.

I don’t like to rate every movie. Some movies you just need to see for yourself and decide. I think numerical rating prejudices the movie before the viewer can decide in certain cases .

And yes, Netflix is a fukkin dumpster right now with new horror movies but if you like 90s/early 2000s era horror movies- it’s ok. Here’s may 2022 Shudder lists

Full List of Movies On Shudder - Top 50

Not sure how I’ll feel about the light house either heard it’s a super slow burn where nothing really happens, I’ve saw the witch and that was kinda just meh to me too. Think it’s the same director? Really wanna see the dudes newest film the north man though that looks dope!

People are gonna hate hearing this, I didn’t like Hereditary & Midsommar.

Added Anything for Jackson & The boy behind the door to the list, I can’t find DUAL anywhere though? It’s coming up saying it’s a horror short?

Yeah Netflix is a joke horror wise, I’ve just cancelled it after finishing the new season of stranger things. But the last two episodes aren't out till July. I hate how scummy Netflix are trying to get people to pay for another two months whilst waiting for the two episodes.

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
The Wretched 👍
Hellbender 👍
Pyewacket 👍
Slapface 👍
Prisoners of the Ghostland 👍 (this isn't really horror but just crazy Nic Cage fukkery)

The Hive 👎
The Void 👍
Bad Samaritan 👍
Daniel isn’t real 👎
Super Dark Times 👍
The Light House (Is this horror?) 👍 (Not horror as much as its a dark fantasy drama)

And this thread only gets stickied for the month of October.

Some other Shudder movies to check out are:

The Sadness
Jakob's Wife
Mon Mon Mon Monsters
The Boy Behind The Door
Revenge
Seance
Host
Vicious Fun
Color Out of Space
Scare Package

Only seen three of the ones you recommended so I’ve added everything else to my list.

The ones I’ve saw are:

Colour of of space absolutely Loved this. Anything similar to that?

Had very similar vibes to Mandy.

Mandy - Absolutely Mental. Loved every second of it. Anything similar to this?

Beyond the Black Rainbow goes hand in hand with both of these also.

Not really like Mandy or Colour but I loved Nic cage in Willys wonderland too.

Vicious fun - this was such a fun film & I think I’m gonna watch it again. Anything like this?

Scare package - it took me WAY too long the realise that the lead chick in this was the white supremicist nazi chick from the show the boys. I think the film could have been better if they actually gave visuals when they were both telling the stories than what they did do with it. And I dunno how I feel about the ending. Just seemed kinda like it just came out of absolutely nowhere.

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
Jello's response is legit. I'd also suggest using the thread search function because most of these titles have been discussed in this thread at different points in time.

My power rankings for your list best to worst:
Super Dark Times
The Void
The Wretched
Slapface
Pyewacket
Prisoners of the Ghostland (kinda an action movie...If you haven't seen Mandy, that one's even crazier Nick Cage stuff)
The Lighthouse
Daniel isn't Real
The Hive (the only one I really didn't like, the rest were at least passable).

Haven't Seen so didn't rank:
Hellbender
Bad Samaritan

Others I'd suggest from Shudder:
Anything for Jackson
Color out of Space
The Dark and the Wicked
Terrified
See For Me
Noroi
Await Further Instructions

Seen a colour out of space like I’ve said above and it’s amazing, would love any recommendations for similar stuff, like I said Mandy & Beyond the Black Rainbow give off really similar vibes.

The only other one I’ve seen that you suggested was Await Further Instruction, was pretty intriguing

Added everything else you suggested to the this

LJLYDK!

All Star
Daps
Forgot to mention my favourite horror on shudder that I’ll definitely watch again before my trail runs out.

I’ll give you guys a clue…

Think Power Rangers with Gore

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Not sure how I’ll feel about the light house either heard it’s a super slow burn where nothing really happens, I’ve saw the witch and that was kinda just meh to me too. Think it’s the same director? Really wanna see the dudes newest film the north man though that looks dope!

Added Anything for Jackson & The boy behind the door to the list, I can’t find DUAL anywhere though? It’s coming up saying it’s a horror short?

Yeah Netflix is a joke horror wise, I’ve just cancelled it after finishing the new season of stranger things. But the last two episodes aren't out till July. I hate how scummy Netflix are trying to get people to pay for another two months whilst waiting for the two episodes.
My bad- DUAL
Is on amc plus streaming - which hosts the Shudder site. I just went ahead and paid the couple dollars more for AMC + content so I can have access to both
amcplus_Dual_boxcover.jpg

Idk about The Light House, never watched- I saw a snippet where one of the dudes was having sex with that mermaid alien thing and it was a hard Nope for me. Had no interest in seeing that shyt.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Seen a colour out of space like I’ve said above and it’s amazing, would love any recommendations for similar stuff, like I said Mandy & Beyond the Black Rainbow give off really similar vibes.

The only other one I’ve seen that you suggested was Await Further Instruction, was pretty intriguing

I think those cover my favorites in the supernatural and body horror realm where I'd pump in most of that list. I'm guessing your favorite was Psycho Goreman...absolute gem and fits the bill of Power Rangers with blood.

On the Lighthouse...if you didn't like The Witch, I think the Lighthouse will be weak too. It's a super period piece with even less horror elements, which is replaced by more intrigue about who's lying to who. It's cool for the two lead performances but I've never felt the need to go back. I think the Witch is the best version of that kinda movie and the Northman is similar but better than the Lighthouse also.

Color out of Space feels unmatchable. The Void has good body horror, but that's where the comparison stops imo. I can't think of a body horror that comes close though without going way back to Society. I have the same problem with Mandy...it's so unique that I can't come up with anything close.

Vicious Fun feels like the best version of the fast paced stuff that Shudder puts out. I think that's the only one that hits the perfect balance of humor and thrills, but you'll be able to find a few interesting ones if you look for that pace (Spree comes to mind).

The best of the rest is more psychopath-oriented. I see you've got some Nicholas Cage appreciation, there's one joint that seemed inspired by 8MM (much different overall but the inspiration is there) called Broadcast Signal Intrusion. That's not really a match for what you listed, but it'd be a good fallback if you get through the gang of titles everyone's suggesting or just want a change of pace.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
You might be on the unpopular opinion side with your view on Hereditary but I'm pretty sure that most of the posters in this thread thought Midsommar was mid to downright terrible.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

Have you seen The Endless before? I would say that has a similar vibe to Colour Out of Space without being much like it.
And if you are going to watch The Endless I recommend you make it a double feature with Resolution (which you should watch first).