Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I watched 'The Strings' on Shudder last night...it was so damn ponderous with nothing really happening just lots of lingering camera shots and use of ominous music to make it seem like something was going to happen that never actually ended up happening.
Just not worth watching at all.

Last edited:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
This is what the creator of Hellbound, Yeon Sang-ho, said about a second season:

“I will say that it’s true, the process of working with Netflix was very enjoyable on my end. They very much agreed to and related to my creative vision, but they also created an environment where I didn’t have to think about anything else aside from focusing on my creativity in terms of distribution or when or how to release the series. Because Hellbound is based on the original webtoons, my partner Choi Kyu-Seok and I have decided that the story afterwards will be told first through the webtoon and, as for whether we would want to turn that into another live-action series, that’s something that we will need further discussion on. As you know, we have only just released Hellbound Season 1 and so we didn’t have any time to discuss that issue with Netflix. So I would say this is something we need further discussion on.”​
Basically, there will be a Season 2 based on reception of this series. and we will probably have to wait at least 2 years before it's released in order for them to further develop the story.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Got my list of flicks for this year's 25 Days of Horror Christmas:

1. A Christmas Horror Story
2. Anna & The Apocalypse
3. ATM
4. Better Watch Out
5. Black Christmas (1974)
6. Black Christmas (2006)
7. The Children
8. Christmas Evil
9. Dead End
10. Don’t Open Till Christmas
11. Gremlins
12. Jack Frost
13. Krampus
14. P2
15. Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale
16. Santa Claws
17. Silent Night
18. Silent Night, Bloody Night
19. Silent Night, Deadly Night
20. Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2
21. Sint
22. Stalled
23. To All A Good Night
24. Wind Chill
25. The Wolf of Snow Hollow

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Netflix’s Hellbound: Best Shows To Watch Next From The Leftovers To Jirisan - Den of Geek

Keep Hellbound’s existential horror coming with these recommended supernatural fantasy TV shows from around the globe, List of related series:

1. The Leftovers (HBO Max)
Like Hellbound, The Leftovers is an existential drama that starts with an incomprehensible, potentially divine metaphysical event. In Hellbound, it is the realization that creatures that seem a lot like angels and demons exist and are coming to kill people. In The Leftovers, it is the sudden disappearance of 2% of the world’s population. Lesser shows—or at least more plot-driven shows—would focus on explaining the supernatural phenomena that start it all. Both Hellbound and The Leftovers, however, are more interested in studying how people and society might react to such reality-shaking events—how we all might try to make meaning from this new information. In both cases, this involves the formation of cults that use their sudden, growing influence to accumulate power and hurt people under the guise of righteousness.

2. Good Omens
Amazon Prime

Listen, there are plenty of shows featuring angels and demons, but no show featuring angels and demons is as god damn charming as Good Omens, the Amazon Prime adaptation of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s beloved novel of the same name. For any ignorant heathens out there, Good Omens follows a demon named Crowley (played by Doctor Who’s David Tennant) and an angel called Aziraphale (Michael Sheen) who, after millennia of acquaintance (read: friendship), decide to work together to stop Armageddon, aka the final battle between Heaven and Hell. If you liked Hellbound but wished the angels and demons were a little cuddlier, then Good Omens is the show for you.

3. Les Revenants.
AMC (US); Amazon Prime Video/Apple TV (UK)
If it’s existential mystery and one hell of an atmosphere you’re after, then you won’t do better than Fabrice Gobert’s Les Revenants. Set in a remote French mountain town, it’s a beautifully filmed drama that asks what would happen if the dead came home years after their deaths, with no memory of any time having passed. The early episodes get by largely on ambiance and intrigue, while the characters and their journey through grief and faith draw you back to the later instalments. Season two gets a little more involved in the mythology/death cult side of things than the human questions, but it’s a stand-out drama all the same. Lost’s Carlton Cuse adapted it for US television as The Returned but without great success, and it was cancelled after a single season, so the original is the one to watch.

4. The Fades
Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video/Hulu (US); BBC iPlayer (UK)

The creature VFX of this 2011 supernatural drama on a BBC budget might not quite stand up to those of Hellbound, but the quality of the writing, direction and cast more than make up for that. The Fades was created by Jack Thorne, a playwright and screenwriter who cut his teeth on Skins, collaborated multiple times with Shane Meadows on his sterling This Is England series, and recently headed up the writing team on BBC/HBO fantasy His Dark Materials (another decent recommendation that would sit nicely in this list, come to mention it). Over a decade ago, Thorne created The Fades, the story of a teenage boy who becomes entangled in a celestial battle between the living, the dead, and everybody in between. It’s scary, funny, well-plotted and packed with geek pop culture references. All that, plus a cast including Game of Thrones’ Natalie Dormer, Lucifer’s Tom Ellis, Agents of SHIELD’s Iain De Caestecker and Get Out’s Daniel Kaluuya.

Coming Soon
Also keep an eye out for Korean space thriller The Silent Sea, due to arrive on Netflix on December 24th, and Korean zombie drama All Of Us Are Dead, based on Naver Webtoon Now At Our School, which is set to land in January 2022.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Netflix’s Hellbound: Best Shows To Watch Next From The Leftovers To Jirisan - Den of Geek

Keep Hellbound’s existential horror coming with these recommended supernatural fantasy TV shows from around the globe, List of related series:

1. The Leftovers (HBO Max)
Like Hellbound, The Leftovers is an existential drama that starts with an incomprehensible, potentially divine metaphysical event. In Hellbound, it is the realization that creatures that seem a lot like angels and demons exist and are coming to kill people. In The Leftovers, it is the sudden disappearance of 2% of the world’s population. Lesser shows—or at least more plot-driven shows—would focus on explaining the supernatural phenomena that start it all. Both Hellbound and The Leftovers, however, are more interested in studying how people and society might react to such reality-shaking events—how we all might try to make meaning from this new information. In both cases, this involves the formation of cults that use their sudden, growing influence to accumulate power and hurt people under the guise of righteousness.

2. Good Omens
Amazon Prime

Listen, there are plenty of shows featuring angels and demons, but no show featuring angels and demons is as god damn charming as Good Omens, the Amazon Prime adaptation of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s beloved novel of the same name. For any ignorant heathens out there, Good Omens follows a demon named Crowley (played by Doctor Who’s David Tennant) and an angel called Aziraphale (Michael Sheen) who, after millennia of acquaintance (read: friendship), decide to work together to stop Armageddon, aka the final battle between Heaven and Hell. If you liked Hellbound but wished the angels and demons were a little cuddlier, then Good Omens is the show for you.

3. Les Revenants.
AMC (US); Amazon Prime Video/Apple TV (UK)
If it’s existential mystery and one hell of an atmosphere you’re after, then you won’t do better than Fabrice Gobert’s Les Revenants. Set in a remote French mountain town, it’s a beautifully filmed drama that asks what would happen if the dead came home years after their deaths, with no memory of any time having passed. The early episodes get by largely on ambiance and intrigue, while the characters and their journey through grief and faith draw you back to the later instalments. Season two gets a little more involved in the mythology/death cult side of things than the human questions, but it’s a stand-out drama all the same. Lost’s Carlton Cuse adapted it for US television as The Returned but without great success, and it was cancelled after a single season, so the original is the one to watch.

4. The Fades
Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video/Hulu (US); BBC iPlayer (UK)

The creature VFX of this 2011 supernatural drama on a BBC budget might not quite stand up to those of Hellbound, but the quality of the writing, direction and cast more than make up for that. The Fades was created by Jack Thorne, a playwright and screenwriter who cut his teeth on Skins, collaborated multiple times with Shane Meadows on his sterling This Is England series, and recently headed up the writing team on BBC/HBO fantasy His Dark Materials (another decent recommendation that would sit nicely in this list, come to mention it). Over a decade ago, Thorne created The Fades, the story of a teenage boy who becomes entangled in a celestial battle between the living, the dead, and everybody in between. It’s scary, funny, well-plotted and packed with geek pop culture references. All that, plus a cast including Game of Thrones’ Natalie Dormer, Lucifer’s Tom Ellis, Agents of SHIELD’s Iain De Caestecker and Get Out’s Daniel Kaluuya.

Coming Soon
Also keep an eye out for Korean space thriller The Silent Sea, due to arrive on Netflix on December 24th, and Korean zombie drama All Of Us Are Dead, based on Naver Webtoon Now At Our School, which is set to land in January 2022.
I loved The Leftovers. The acting and writing on that show was top notch.
The Fades is a cool underrated show too that never got the love that a lot of the other UK shows around that time received.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When Is a Horror Movie Not a Horror Movie?
When Is a Horror Movie Not a Horror Movie?
When “The Humans” and other new dramas use jump scares and other genre staples, it’s a fair question to ask.

few days before Halloween, the @NetflixFilm Twitter account put out a call: “What movie isn’t technically a horror movie but feels like a horror movie to you?” Included was a photo of a freaky-eyed Gene Wilder in “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.”

Twitter being Twitter, some of the responses were flip, like “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “Cats.” But there were also heavy hitters like “2001: A Space Odyssey” and “Parasite.” Children’s films, including “Pinocchio” and “Bambi,” made the cut. It just goes to show, horror is what scares you, not me.

Horror has always been an elastic and regenerative genre. It lifts from and melds with just about every type of cinema: comedy, sci-fi, action, romance, fantasy, documentary. Its flexibility extends as far back as the monstrous love story in “Bride of Frankenstein” (1935) and as current as the blood-drenched melodrama of “Malignant.”

But how do you know if you’re watching a horror movie when there’s no killer or monster, exorcism or blood? It’s a decades-old question that’s being asked about new films that blur the line between a movie with horror and a horror movie.

So what is a horror movie? It comes down to intent, said Wickham Clayton, a film scholar and the editor of “Style and Form in the Hollywood Slasher Film.” Horror movies, he said, are about audiences “being uncomfortable, unsettled and disturbed.”

Sometimes all it takes is a terrifying antagonist or mood, not an entire movie. Think of Robert Mitchum as a scoundrel preacher in the nightmare fairy tale “The Night of the Hunter” (1955); Faye Dunaway as a toxic Joan Crawford in the darkly camp “Mommie Dearest” (1981); or Robert De Niro as the time-bomb Travis Bickle in “Taxi Driver” (1976).

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I loved The Leftovers. The acting and writing on that show was top notch.
The Fades is a cool underrated show too that never got the love that a lot of the other UK shows around that time received.
Never watched the Leftovers. I'm in that post-binge phase withdrawal where I'm looking for series similar to the bingeable series that I watched to get my fix. I'll add Leftovers to the list.
I liked The Fades too.
I heard good reviews about Les Revenants, so I'm adding that as well. But I heard horrible reviews from the American version of Les Revenents titled "The Returned".

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Got my list of flicks for this year's 25 Days of Horror Christmas:

1. A Christmas Horror Story
2. Anna & The Apocalypse
3. ATM