Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
The Nightingale was one of the most emotionally oppressive movies I have ever watched.
But it was also really good...the acting, the cinematography (the bleakness of the Tasmanian wilderness mimicked the bleakness of the story)…all of it was top notch.
Right. Told you it’s heavy. That’s the word OPPRESSIVE. The darkness and depressive atmospheric tension. Acting was A1. I think the haunting part of it was I’m sure these are events that really took place between the indigenous people trying to be forced off their rights to their land v the British imperialism v Ireland. Just like over here in the states- the true savages are not native Americans, aboriginal/tasmanians or black people - those who hold the power and operate off greed are.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Thought this was solid :ehh:

42a17ee10c075a2b89634104dca191d9.jpg

" In acclaimed director Edgar Wright’s psychological thriller, Eloise, an aspiring fashion designer, is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters a dazzling wannabe singer, Sandie. But the glamour is not all it appears to be and the dreams of the past start to crack and splinter into something far darker."

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last episode of HellBound- 30 minutes left of season 6, I guess they’re not going to tell us who is issuing these decrees for the demonstrations??
:dahell:
Could someone spoil episode 6 for the following reason:
Are they really going to let an infant go through this?? I don’t know if I can stand watching the rest, someone spoil it for me- Do the demons take the baby?:mjcry::mjtf::snoop:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Right. Told you it’s heavy. That’s the word OPPRESSIVE. The darkness and depressive atmospheric tension. Acting was A1. I think the haunting part of it was I’m sure these are events that really took place between the indigenous people trying to be forced off their rights to their land v the British imperialism v Ireland. Just like over here in the states- the true savages are not native Americans, aboriginal/tasmanians or black people - those who hold the power and operate off greed are.
That’s how I feel about the dark and the wicked. It’s just an oppressive movie and I loved it lol but I’m not watching it again

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

" In acclaimed director Edgar Wright’s psychological thriller, Eloise, an aspiring fashion designer, is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters a dazzling wannabe singer, Sandie. But the glamour is not all it appears to be and the dreams of the past start to crack and splinter into something far darker."

Yeah, I liked this one. Based on the trailer and description, I wasn't sure that I'd be into it, but it was a pleasant surprise. Interesting story with some good twists. I thought it was more a mystery noir than a horror for the first 2/3rds but when they finally swung over to straight horror, it only got better.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So I took a trip to the movies and checked out Resident Evil. And I can happily say that this is the closest they've come to a true video-game-inspired RE movie, but at the same time they made some weird choices that kinda threw things off. So for me, it was fun to pick out Easter Eggs and fill in the blanks with game canon, I think it'd be a lot more confusing to the uninitiated.

For those that don't know. The RE series is about a company (Umbrella) that develops a virus to weaponize human beings...most become zombies but other develop even more freakish deformities and powers. That virus, leaks out and infects a city near their testing facility (Rac00n city) which leads to the plot of the first three games. The first game takes place inside a mansion built on top of the research facility and then finishes down in the lab (just like the original RE movie but with much more mansion stuff). The second game happens predominantly at the city's police precinct and sewers below. The third game happens on the streets of the city itself.

Now...this movie has decided to combine all three games plus a fourth game called Code Veronica. That means we get a crapload of characters, and a handful of iconic sets and scenes from all of the games. But it's all rushed really heavily. But the worst part about that rushing is that they're forced to mix characters together so that the most iconic characters from the series aren't remotely like their video game counterparts. The plot itself jumps from easter egg moment to easter egg moment. And there's a compulsive need to inject comedy into the mix which just causes plot contrivances.

But here's the thing...it's still the most horror-centric RE movie ever. It captures the mansion, the precinct, and some of the creatures more honestly than any of the prior films. And the director is genuinely pretty good at building up a jump scare. The scares didn't get me, but my niece and sister did jump a few times. There's enough here to have fun if you turn off your brain or have enough familiarity with the games to fill in the blanks. So it's a solid watch for RE fans or if you're bored with nothing to throw on. But if you don't care about Resident Evil, I feel like you won't like this movie nearly as much.

Now some spoilerish comments for the gamers in the batch:
The weird thing the movie did was combine video game characters the same way they mixed together the game plots.
- So they took Wesker and Barry from the first game and combined them into one. It doesn't work. The betrayal comes to fast and Wesker seems too relatable for 90% of the movie to be the biggest villain in the history of the series.

- They took Wesker's more malicious intentions and created a different character who also turns into different tyrant variants but none of those variants are particularly threatening and they all lose too easily to matter much.

- They also took Leon Kennedy and tried to fit Carlos from Code Veronica over him. You know how Carlos is a bit aloof and disinterested? That's Leon now...he's a rookie with no skills at being a cop and generally just gives off comedy relief. This is probably the most recognized protagonist in the series and he's a joke.

- Jill Valentine also gets combo treatment but not with another game character. Apparently they really liked Michelle Rodriguez's character from the first movie because this Jill is a lot more like that character than the one we know from the games. She also has a romantic sideplot with Wesker...because of the Barry combo. It's weird.

- The Redfields are also in here. But they have a history with the city and Umbrella that's shoe-horned in to make the Code Veronica plot fit. Chris gave me more of the Leon in RE2 vibes than Leon did. Also Claire inexplicably gets the Jill Valentine "master of lockpicking" easter egg ability.

- And they also twist and contort to fit in some other easter eggs. The twins from Code veronica are only included in a home film. The mansion feels like it's taken from RE 1 but they wanted to relate it to the twins too.

So yeah...a lot of square pegs forced into round holes. It's weird, it's flawed, but as a die-hard RE fan...I still enjoyed it quite a bit. But I liked it the way I like Cowboy Bebop's live action remake. it's cool for what it is but no where near touching the original version which is a classic and that's unfortunate.
That’s the thing about Resident Evil - I’m not a gamer and know nothing about the RE game, so I thought only the gamers could find this franchise relatable and have the experience. The original REs dropped during the time when the Underworld franchise - and Underworld (Kate Beckinsale and squad ) is more of my thing- been on the Underworld wave since Day 1. Resident Evil came to my attention during the time I remember when the reviewers and critics had them in this weird competition even though one movie base is primarily zombies and UW is werewolves and vampires.

But I started to watch Resident Evil as they would temp roll out those movies on Netflix. And I watched them out of order (still haven’t seen every release in the franchise); saw enough to get an idea. This is the latest one that I’ve seen (afterlife) but I feel like I’m missing something out on RE by not knowing all of the backstory and the scenarios as opposed to viewers like you who know the games.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

Loved the build-up of this film, but thought the final act was mediocre. Oddly felt the same way about Edgar’s previous feature in Baby Driver. Thomasin was great in her role though, and Anya was my eye candy as usual.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Last episode of HellBound- 30 minutes left of season 6, I guess they’re not going to tell us who is issuing these decrees for the demonstrations??
:dahell:
Could someone spoil episode 6 for the following reason:
Are they really going to let an infant go through this?? I don’t know if I can stand watching the rest, someone spoil it for me- Do the demons take the baby?:mjcry::mjtf::snoop:
The baby survives.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Wyrmwood: Apocalypse
The sequel to 2014's Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead, Wyrmwood: Apocalypse is a post-apocalyptic zombie film that follows soldier Rhys who lives in a zombie-infested Australian wasteland. Rhys is on an arc of redemption as he turns against his evil bosses and joins forces with a group of rebel survivors to help rescue a girl who holds the cure to the virus.
The film which has been hailed as 'Mad Max Meets Dawn Of the Dead' - has picked up an audience award at the 2021 Sydney Film Festival for Best Feature Film.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
From
From the executive producers of Lost, FROM unravels the mystery of a nightmarish town in middle America that traps all those who enter. As the unwilling residents fight to keep a sense of normalcy and search for a way out, they must also survive the threats of the surrounding forest – including the terrifying creatures that come out when the sun goes down.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
That’s the thing about Resident Evil - I’m not a gamer and know nothing about the RE game, so I thought only the gamers could find this franchise relatable and have the experience. The original REs dropped during the time when the Underworld franchise - and Underworld (Kate Beckinsale and squad ) is more of my thing- been on the Underworld wave since Day 1. Resident Evil came to my attention during the time I remember when the reviewers and critics had them in this weird competition even though one movie base is primarily zombies and UW is werewolves and vampires.

But I started to watch Resident Evil as they would temp roll out those movies on Netflix. And I watched them out of order (still haven’t seen every release in the franchise); saw enough to get an idea. This is the latest one that I’ve seen (afterlife) but I feel like I’m missing something out on RE by not knowing all of the backstory and the scenarios as opposed to viewers like you who know the games.

Tbh, the movies generally got away from the games and just took some of the more famous characters and monsters. I enjoyed most of the films (got a little too crazy for me with the last couple) but they never felt like the games to me. This more recent one really captures more of the feel that the games had. It's still chaotic, but there are certain elements that are more like a campy mystery horror rather than pure action. The only drawback is that Alice was invented for the movies, so she's not in this one and I think that'll suck for non-gamers (my sister asked about her right away when we left the theater).

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I gave Sator a run, and it's a slow burn to a pretty wild payoff.

The beginning is slow, ominous, and awkward conversations with a mixture of recorded interviews, home movies thrown in that hit a little bit harder when you find out that they're actually from taken from the writer/director's family. His grandmother really used to really hear this ish. So the dude incorporated this real stuff into the movie, and crafted a lore out of it...and a creepy as hell one at that. Seeing a medium's written papers from when she was under hits different when you know it was really someone believing it when they wrote those scribbles, shapes, and messages down.

Here's an interview about it: Sator director Jordan Graham explains the origins of his new horror movie

The only thing is...there's not really traditional scares. Just really well shot, creepy imagery and moments. The story itself is fairly vague, I think purposefully since he was fitting in the stuff he learned about his grandmother's experience. It makes for some disjointed bits but I think they only add to the uncanny feeling. The way it's shot and the sounds and editing...it's all done really well. Some first person POV moments in the woods really took me back to Blair Witch Project and other moments gave me The Witch vibes. I just think it could have gone fifteen minutes shorter without losing anything. That said, the finish is genuinely dark and pretty haunting. Some of the final moments definitely landed for me and I've even got a little theory about what he's implying was happening with the family.

Anyway, I think it's a cool movie thanks to the added trivia about the director learning about his family's supernatural history and literally fitting aspects and recordings into the film. It's a slow run to when things pick up but I think it's worth it for a pretty solid finish. Just gotta keep in mind that not everything you're hearing was scripted which took the creepy factor up a few notches for me even when it was slow.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The baby survives.
The end scene in Hellbound- there HAS to be a Season 2.
:merchant::merchant:
Reincarnation??!!:dahell::wtf:
anddddd
I thought you tricked me into believing the baby was still alive, :francis:that's how paranoid you made me. I was getting ready to come on here and anger typing mad asf :stopitslime:thinking you gamed me until I saw the parents were burned but the baby was still alive during the slow reveal :mjlol:The whole time I was like, this damn Jello got me again with his trickery

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The end scene in Hellbound- there HAS to be a Season 2.
:merchant::merchant:
Reincarnation??!!:dahell::wtf:
anddddd
I thought you tricked me into believing the baby was still alive, :francis:that's how paranoid you made me. I was getting ready to come on here and anger typing mad asf :stopitslime:thinking you gamed me until I saw the parents were burned but the baby was still alive during the slow reveal :mjlol:The whole time I was like, this damn Jello got me again with his trickery
This is what the creator of Hellbound, Yeon Sang-ho, said about a second season:

“I will say that it’s true, the process of working with Netflix was very enjoyable on my end. They very much agreed to and related to my creative vision, but they also created an environment where I didn’t have to think about anything else aside from focusing on my creativity in terms of distribution or when or how to release the series. Because Hellbound is based on the original webtoons, my partner Choi Kyu-Seok and I have decided that the story afterwards will be told first through the webtoon and, as for whether we would want to turn that into another live-action series, that’s something that we will need further discussion on. As you know, we have only just released Hellbound Season 1 and so we didn’t have any time to discuss that issue with Netflix. So I would say this is something we need further discussion on.”​