Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I literally just finished the first story which was just plain silly and I'm halfway through the second and can tell I'm going to be very disappointed. The opening titles were poorly done. The acting is not great and the camerawork and direction is very pedestrian.

:francis:

Damn shame, as I was excited for it.
The sophomoric directing is the worst thing about it for me.
Every thing just came across like a student film or something. Totally disappointing.
I watched Tales from the Hood right after just to see a black focused anthology horror movie that worked.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
October 29th: Tales From The Hood
XZ8Jg4j.jpg

Tales From the Hood is an insanely fun movie that is alternately campy, scary and even at times thought provoking. It is also (despite the strides in black centric horror over recent years) one of the pretty rare urban genre films that is totally entertaining, warts and all.
One of those warts being that there is no subtlety in this movie at all. Instead the viewer is bashed over the head repeatedly with message (police brutality against black males is an epidemic!) after message (racism is a blight upon society!) after message (gang violence is destroying black neighborhoods!) after message (drugs are bad!). A more subtle touch would've gone a long way to making the messages hit a little harder instead of going the sitcom "very special episode" route.
And I'd be remiss not to single out the work Clarence Williams III does in this movie with his tour de force performance as Mr. Simms the macabre storyteller of the film. Clarence acts the living hell out of this part like he was on a Broadway stage playing Othello and is one of the best examples of how to successfully chew scenery.

I give 'Tales From The Hood' 3.5 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
October 29th: Tales From The Hood
XZ8Jg4j.jpg

Tales From the Hood is an insanely fun movie that is alternately campy, scary and even at times thought provoking. It is also (despite the strides in black centric horror over recent years) one of the pretty rare urban genre films that is totally entertaining, warts and all.
One of those warts being that there is no subtlety in this movie at all. Instead the viewer is bashed over the head repeatedly with message (police brutality against black males is an epidemic!) after message (racism is a blight upon society!) after message (gang violence is destroying black neighborhoods!) after message (drugs are bad!). A more subtle touch would've gone a long way to making the messages hit a little harder instead of going the sitcom "very special episode" route.
And I'd be remiss not to single out the work Clarence Williams III does in this movie with his tour de force performance as Mr. Simms the macabre storyteller of the film. Clarence acts the living hell out of this part like he was on a Broadway stage playing Othello and is one of the best examples of how to successfully chew scenery.

I give 'Tales From The Hood' 3.5 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

He genuinely takes the whole thing up a notch. I still love this joint every time I throw it on.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
word?

I thought this was one of the worst movies. It reminded me of a Netflix move that predates this with the same themes (for Open House instead)

That's exactly the comparison I had. It could have been a sequel. I will say that I thought it was better than Open House, but that's like saying it was better than Troll 2. Open House is pretty much all-time awful in my book whereas the Rental was weak but not terrible imo.

Daps
Reppin
Denver
That's exactly the comparison I had. It could have been a sequel. I will say that I thought it was better than Open House, but that's like saying it was better than Troll 2. Open House is pretty much all-time awful in my book whereas the Rental was weak but not terrible imo.
:ufdup: Watch the Troll 2 slander. One of the best comedies ever made.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
October 27th: Hereditary
R4Wu13m.png

A slightly uneven but still emotionally compelling and eerie horror film that gets by on a nearly constant sense of unnerving dread mixed with soul crushing grief and the playfully macabre use of shadows thanks to the directing skill of Ari Aster. Watching this family fall apart in the aftermath of a tragedy was almost as horrifying to watch as the supernatural stuff that was happening to them. Hereditary also features a truly impressive powerhouse performance from Toni Collette that makes this movie a must see for horror fans and non-fans alike. I'm serious...Collette was insanely good. She deserved not only to be nominated for every acting award but she should've won them all too.

I give 'Hereditary' 4 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
This is in the pantheon of great horror movies

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Unless it went over my head this ain't have shyt to do with the rest of the franchise

e11537a852e22929e42af64e8d2e700e.jpg
Changed my mind - I’m watching This movie right now. I was about to head over to party city for some supplies but why do now for what I can procrastinate and do tomorrow. I’m “IN”:popcorn:

• Dap
Reactions: 315

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
October 27th: Hereditary
R4Wu13m.png

A slightly uneven but still emotionally compelling and eerie horror film that gets by on a nearly constant sense of unnerving dread mixed with soul crushing grief and the playfully macabre use of shadows thanks to the directing skill of Ari Aster. Watching this family fall apart in the aftermath of a tragedy was almost as horrifying to watch as the supernatural stuff that was happening to them. Hereditary also features a truly impressive powerhouse performance from Toni Collette that makes this movie a must see for horror fans and non-fans alike. I'm serious...Collette was insanely good. She deserved not only to be nominated for every acting award but she should've won them all too.

I give 'Hereditary' 4 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
You overrated Hereditary, at best it was 2.5 gun toting Dr. Loomis. Unpopular opinion but I wasn’t impressed- played out a bit too drawn out and melodramatic to me until the final moments of the movie. It’s 4 gun toting Dr. Loomis for Toni Collette’s superior acting skills- that lady bodies movies with her range and emotional ability.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@315 12 minutes in and when does the paranormal activity start?? Why are they 4 people sharing a motel room? Why are they in a motel? Where’s the house?? This isn’t Paranormal Activity without the cursed Paranomal Activity house.
:dahell:
im not liking how this movie is starting:unsure:

• Dap
Reactions: 315