Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
I’m passing on Venom. Heard it was Basura. They should have left the formula from the original but I also heard they were going for the R rating and make it moreso a horror movie. I’ll wait until it drops on streaming. Really haven’t had it on my radar,

(Disclaimer: And from that other thread in TLR - I hope you don’t take offense when I say “uk posters” , I don’t mean that as an inclusive statement. I’m referring to the aint shyt digital blackface cacs and the racial antagonists.) You are one of the Top 5 posters on this site. :handshake:

I know u talking about the pretenders.
I'm gone take ur word on Venom

Next movie 4 me is Matrix

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
October 22nd: The Shallows
Wvb1lwq.jpg

Director Jaume Collet-Serra does a nifty job ramping up the tension even in scenes that the movie’s trailer gave away. Despite knowing that a character was about to become shark food I was still totally pulled into those scenes. Visually this movie is breathtaking. The cinematographer (Flavio Martínez Labiano) deserves much praise and has me shocked that up until The Shallows he was most known for doing Liam Neeson movies. Just the underwater scenes alone are enough to knock your socks off.
And I was also pleasantly surprised by Blake Lively. As someone who really never thought of her as more than a blandly pretty mannequin, I was impressed at her acting in this film. It was especially impressive just because she spent so much time either acting with no one or with the most charismatic seagull in the world.
Ultimately this movie is, on its face, just about the silliest thing ever. It goes way past the pushing the edge of ridiculousness line that the original Jaws had at its core and even makes the outright stupidity of Jaws 3: The Revenge look normal. I mean this angry ass shark was acting like Blake Lively did something personally offensive to it and was hellbent on getting some payback. But The Shallows does deliver a lot of entertainment in its 90 minutes and is well worth a watch.

I give 'The Shallows' 3 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
The Shallows was actually a pretty amazing movie. I agree with your 3 gun toting Dr. Loomis. Going as far to add another 1/2 a gun toting Dr. Loomis - to 3.5/4. At first I wasn’t impressed with Blake Lively in the lead role and her ability to carry a thriller type movie but she did her thing.

i actually felt empathy for her and wanted her to make it. Those flashback scenes with her deceased mother and her trips to the beach as a young child, her decisions, finding out about her boyfriend - needing a secluded spot to escape from the realities of her problems. Only to encounter life changing/altering/ending decisions that puts all of that into perspective. The Shark scenes- the moments of hopelessness; the scenery and the cinematic impact of the ocean scenes; the tension in that movie is crazzzzy!! that was a really good watch. Multiple layers to that movie even though it was marketed more towards “horror” - it’s not.

@RehReh i highly recommend watching “The Shallow” with Blake Lively. I think this is your lane. Not to gory, has a good plot and underlying theme. It’s a shark escape type movie but the underlying story was interesting as well. Good to have another female perspective or feedback from time to time.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I know u talking about the pretenders.
I'm gone take ur word on Venom

Next movie 4 me is Matrix
I just watched the original Matrix for the first time last year. I’m not too up on Matrix movies. Late to the party with the Matrix franchise. Didn’t even know there was a new one in the works until you mentioned it right now. They’re doing a reboot??!! Or is this another sequel?? I haven’t watched any of the sequels after the original yet. My obsession with horror movies was at a premium from 1999- 2015, that’s all I watched 90% of the time so anything outside of that didn’t get much looks. Don’t judge me - dark times indeed; product of my environment
terio-um.gif

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I agree with you. I can watch The Exorcist all day everyday and I'm cool but put on the original Amityville Horror and I'm like:
200.gif
So many of those creepy ass moments. I can still hear the voice saying “get out” to the priest vividly. Def a movie to wait for the double-digits before watching :mjlol:.

Ive said this a few times in the thread, but my family moved to a house on the block that the real amityville horror happened, a few houses down. I was too young to even remember but it only lasted a few months before my parents brought us to thanksgiving dinner and just decided not to go back…and I mean they left all the furniture and ish behind. They just peaced out. My mom says it was all to do with the commute, but all my siblings stay side-eyeing that explanation.
I have family in Long Island- drove down the block with the Amityville House a few times. My father drove us past there like it was a family trip one day. I would not get out that car for nothing- they say kids can sense spirits and negative energy before adults can; that’s how I felt. The only thing that really scared me about the house were the windows. Those windows smh- haunting and demonic. The windows look like eyes. Like the house is starting at you, the devil’s eyes. The next part was the scene where the windows slam down on the kid’s hands.

That’s about it- that movie is equivalent to “Psycho” and “The Shining” - not really enough scares or shock value to have an impact but certain memories of scenes are triggering - those windows, everytime the cameras flashed to the windows. Other than that, I was kind of bored during it. So my response is the opposite -

Exorcist is a no go for me. Watched it once and it’s been a nope ever since. Couldn’t sleep for weeks - that movie, if it was up to me; it should be banned. Whole movie is the most demonic depressed movie that I’ve ever seen and don’t want to see ever. My kids are not into horror movies rn but I will warn them as adults to never watch that movie. Some shyt doesn’t need to be explained - just don’t cross that line. Same with Poltergeist. Those movies carry a curse for real. Reading the background on both those movies - explained everything that I had already felt was off about it.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Its a new one
But its the old matrix
:lupe:
:dwillhuh:
How??
This is also why it took me too long to watch the first one. Confusing - movies like Matrix and Inception; I do not want to sit there and try to figure out who is who and what is what, who does what and whatever other philosophical lessons they insert into the storyline. Because then I’ll start googling and spoil it for myself anyway, leading up to the point where I don’t even want to watch the movie.

I read and analyze enough for a living, I don’t want to use my brain for movie entertainment. Movies and shows that I watch follow the K.I.S.S. Formula (keep it simple stupid). Blow shyt up, situations gone wrong, explosions, gun shooting, Hatchet hacking , easy to follow plot, bad people doing bad things to bad people, good people making bad decisions hurt by bad people, monsters, ghosts, masked up killers mashing up, some people survive, some don’t. Screaming, fear, yelling, impending doom or disaster. Real simple.
weebey-thewire.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I have family in Long Island- drove down the block with the Amityville House a few times. My father drove us past there like it was a family trip one day. I would not get out that car for nothing- they say kids can sense spirits and negative energy before adults can; that’s how I felt. The only thing that really scared me about the house were the windows. Those windows smh- haunting and demonic. The windows look like eyes. Like the house is starting at you, the devil’s eyes. The next part was the scene where the windows slam down on the kid’s hands.

That’s about it- that movie is equivalent to “Psycho” and “The Shining” - not really enough scares or shock value to have an impact but certain memories of scenes are triggering - those windows, everytime the cameras flashed to the windows. Other than that, I was kind of bored during it. So my response is the opposite -

Exorcist is a no go for me. Watched it once and it’s been a nope ever since. Couldn’t sleep for weeks - that movie, if it was up to me; it should be banned. Whole movie is the most demonic depressed movie that I’ve ever seen and don’t want to see ever. My kids are not into horror movies rn but I will warn them as adults to never watch that movie. Some shyt doesn’t need to be explained - just don’t cross that line. Same with Poltergeist. Those movies carry a curse for real. Reading the background on both those movies - explained everything that I had already felt was off about it.

Hell yes, I feel you on that. It's certain scenes and moments in it that absolutely burn their way into your memory...especially when you're younger. The window scene absolutely got me. Speaking of window scenes from my childhood, that Salem's Lot window scene is another one that I can vividly see and still feel my heartrate pick up.

I feel you on the Exorcist too, I never really feel the urge to revisit it anymore. And ironically, for me the part that hits me is the priest's mom and how that gets used against him by the demon. Exorcist 3 though...I really love that ish.

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
:dwillhuh:
How??
This is also why it took me too long to watch the first one. Confusing - movies like Matrix and Inception; I do not want to sit there and try to figure out who is who and what is what, who does what and whatever other philosophical lessons they insert into the storyline. Because then I’ll start googling and spoil it for myself anyway, leading up to the point where I don’t even want to watch the movie.

I read and analyze enough for a living, I don’t want to use my brain for movie entertainment. Movies and shows that I watch follow the K.I.S.S. Formula (keep it simple stupid). Blow shyt up, situations gone wrong, explosions, gun shooting, Hatchet hacking , easy to follow plot, bad people doing bad things to bad people, good people making bad decisions hurt by bad people, monsters, ghosts, masked up killers mashing up, some people survive, some don’t. Screaming, fear, yelling, impending doom or disaster. Real simple.
weebey-thewire.gif

I agree
This why I loved SAW so much

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hell yes, I feel you on that. It's certain scenes and moments in it that absolutely burn their way into your memory...especially when you're younger. The window scene absolutely got me. Speaking of window scenes from my childhood, that Salem's Lot window scene is another one that I can vividly see and still feel my heartrate pick up.
:damn::damn::damn:
THIS.
I think it broke the barrier of feeling safe if you’re room is not on the ground level with a locked window. Because we think, no one can climb up that high to get us - that evil b*stard floated and mind controlled him. Movie hit the middle finger with the “you child, No scenario is safe”. Vibes
:bryan:

The same rationale as our younger self thinking that your blanket/comforter over your head when you’re scared forms an invisible shield barrier from whatever is lurking. Finally stopped doing that when I fell asleep under multiple blankets and sheets almost suffocating myself, couldn’t wiggle my little self out and needing to cry for my parents to help talking about I was trapped.

The way that thing floated up to the window in Salem’s Lot though. Nothing was ever the same in childhood after this.

80s-early 90s parents with their tv neglect again. Lmao. I had to be like 10-11 when I first saw this; think my dad copped a copy from the video store. Doing his nightly Saturday ritual of renting a movie that he saw when it was originally released, telling us he would cut it off if the movie was too scary, then he ended up falling asleep and we would watch it on our own, not wanting to wake him up. Why he thought these types of movies were an acceptable family night movie to play for kids in the first place, was never explained.
:deadrose:

Not sure if you saw this alternate scene already but here you go- that hand appearing out of nowhere as he runs leading you to imply what happened - sheeeshh.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

There were a lot of houses in my neighborhood with those windows and little kid me swore that those houses were evil and the family inside was possessed.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
There were a lot of houses in my neighborhood with those windows and little kid me swore that those houses were evil and the family inside was possessed.
Horror movie house windows always look like a sinister face
the-amityville-house-windows.jpg

193cad18af0ee635b49f1ca2c0cc6093.jpg

Welp- I wasn’t planning to sleep tonight anyway. :merchant: