Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I wanted to share my thoughts on VHS 94 here, since I’ve watched it a few times recently. I like how others in this thread have rated the movie by segments so I’ll do the same here:

• Holy Hell - The wraparound segments in these films have always been the weakest parts of them, and the same is true for V/H/S 94. While not downright bad, it’s just derivative of all the other wraparound segments from previous films. Nothing much to say here
  • Storm Drain - the best of the shorts I thought. This one perfectly blended together camp and creepiness with a simple enough story. I also thought in terms of fitting the VHS aesthetic that this one did it the best, it looked and felt shot back in the mid 90’s. The ending was also hilariously dark and over the top in all the right ways.
  • The Empty Wake - I thought this was the weakest of all the stories sans the wraparound. It did really good at building up atmosphere and environment, but it had a weak ending and felt like it ended just as it was going somewhere.
  • The Subject - probably the fan favorite, and I can see why, this felt like a blend of Frankenstein crossed with the Raid. Completely ridiculous and violent, this was fun as hell but also had the most heart and depth of any of the other stories, as you really felt sympathetic to the subjects and what they had become.
  • Terror - interesting enough concept, they played off of events from the era like the Waco Siege and the Oklahoma City Bombing to build up the group at the central of this short which I thought was a bold choice. In turn though it made them immediately unlikeable or relatable so when later when horror and mayhem are inflicted on them there’s no real sympathy involved.
A return to form for the franchise after the underwhelming VHS Viral, this doesn’t match the highs of VHS 2 but was a fun enough watch to where I can say I enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to another edition, hopefully sooner than later

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Should I go watch POSSESSION(1981) tonight brehs

Never seen it before
my-poppi.gif

OMG HOLD THE fukk ON

Im watching Hush (2016)

Thats Bev
full

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
@MartyMcFly Jello waits until TODAY of all damn days to finesse me into his little biased debate talking points world of werewolves - he waits until Halloween Kills drops to go into his Jello mode of rudeness. There have been literally 20,000 werewolf based horror movies in the past decade. That’s been the dominant subgenre for the last decade. He’s full of it.

Catch me up. He's saying there haven't been a lot of werewolf movies and you're saying there are way too fukking many?

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Catch me up. He's saying there haven't been a lot of werewolf movies and you're saying there are way too fukking many?
Mannnnn—I’m going to deal with @Jello Biafra ’s violations tommorrow. I’ll catch you up later, MartyMar - you know my screening of Halloween Kills takes priority over my annual thread wars with him. He will get dealt with. Like clockwork - he starts , always around Halloween time too. I’m not falling for his gaslighting and manipulation this year . I knew he was being TOOOO nice for a reason so he can catch me off guard.

my Halloween kills stream starts early - bout to press play on the movie
ShoddyAllBullfrog-max-1mb.gif

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Mannnnn—I’m going to deal with @Jello Biafra ’s violations tommorrow. I’ll catch you up later, MartyMar - you know my screening of Halloween Kills takes priority over my annual thread wars with him. He will get dealt with. Like clockwork - he starts , always around Halloween time too. I’m not falling for his gaslighting and manipulation this year . I knew he was being TOOOO nice for a reason so he can catch me off guard.

my Halloween kills stream starts early - bout to press play on the movie
ShoddyAllBullfrog-max-1mb.gif

I’m watching it in a few min. Well the rest of it. I tried to stay up all night after midnight this morning but I couldn’t make it lol. Tapped out.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Halloween was trash smh there was zero reason to go this route
Shocker but I disagree lol. I don’t like it nearly as much as their first flick and it definitely has some narrative issues and falls into the “horror movie character does this because script” territory but I liked its anger, themes, and tone.

If anything for me it felt too self indulgent at times and, unfortunately, the middle part of a trilogy. Nothing really moved forward to set up the last chapter. But I admire the ambition and using Halloween as a vessel to talk about larger issues.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shocker but I disagree lol. I don’t like it nearly as much as their first flick and it definitely has some narrative issues and falls into the “horror movie character does this because script” territory but I liked its anger, themes, and tone.

If anything for me it felt too self indulgent at times and, unfortunately, the middle part of a trilogy. Nothing really moved forward to set up the last chapter. But I admire the ambition and using Halloween as a vessel to talk about larger issues.
you like it but you seem to be agreeing that it’s not a good movie :yeshrug: I can’t knock you for that I like plenty of bad movies? I think they even botched the themes of the movie
Did you like the last purge

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
October 16th: Halloween Kills
TR5Q9g7.jpg

:beli:
The kills were plentiful and very well done in their brutality but for the most part none of the victims mattered and this movie veered into Freddy Krueger territory where you would find yourself rooting for Michael to kill as many of the awful citizens of Haddonfield as possible.
Also the decision to sideline Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie in favor of a wild-eyed Anthony Michael Hall (behaving like a conservative anti-mask mandate parent at a school board meeting) and Laurie's granddaughter taking the lead on facing down Michael was a colossal mistake.
Judy Greer did more than her fair share of the emotional heavy lifting in this movie in the (frankly unnecessary and way too long) scenes where the townsfolk took out their pitchforks against the wrong person and then at the end of the film where she finally embraced her mother's mantle as the person to take down Michael. But instead of having a triumphant new Final Girl (or Final Mom) moment, the movie starts intimating at the supernatural origin aspect of Michael Myers that helped make the original movie series go completely off the rails and then we get an incredibly dumbass "shock" ending where Michael not only slips unseen into a house crawling with police but kills a screaming woman with seemingly no one noticing.
Halloween was a disappointing mess that had more of the Rob Zombie Halloween films DNA in it than what David Gordon Green gave us in his first film. And being similar in any way to Zombie's Halloween movies is a not a good thing at all.

I give 'Halloween Kills' 2 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
you like it but you seem to be agreeing that it’s not a good movie :yeshrug: I can’t knock you for that I like plenty of bad movies? I think they even botched the themes of the movie
Did you like the last purge
Nah I don’t do that. If I like it I like it. I don’t do the “I like it but I don’t think it’s a good movie” that’s bullshyt to me. If you like something you like it. And I don’t think a movie needs to be perfect to like it.

I think this idea the internet created of 1. Movies being objectively bad or good is stupid as fukk and B, “guilty pleasures” is also weird.
Good or bad is subjective. We all have our own tastes and what works for us or doesn’t. And it’s based on us, not the thing we’re watching.

I hated house of the devil when I first saw it. Absolutely hated it. Watched it a couple years ago and I fell in love. Movie didn’t do anything different or change. I changed.

I like parts of it but dislike parts of it. And what I like outweighs what I dislike. Like I said there’s horror movie convenience that I don’t like and it shows up in parts where it doesn’t need it. And it feels incomplete. Those are my knocks. But there’s stuff in it, like the tone and the theme and the messages and the kills and a few scares that I really like. Therefore I fukk with it lol. It’s an uneven flick that still works for me.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
All I said was that werewolves are an under-represented subgenre in horror and I would like to see more werewolf movies.
I don't know why that was a "Niagara Falls" moment for Nicole. :manny:
But now I've been activated so...:lolbron:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
October 16th: Halloween Kills
TR5Q9g7.jpg

:beli:
The kills were plentiful and very well done in their brutality but for the most part none of the victims mattered and this movie veered into Freddy Krueger territory where you would find yourself rooting for Michael to kill as many of the awful citizens of Haddonfield as possible.
Also the decision to sideline Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie in favor of a wild-eyed Anthony Michael Hall (behaving like a conservative anti-mask mandate parent at a school board meeting) and Laurie's granddaughter taking the lead on facing down Michael was a colossal mistake.
Judy Greer did more than her fair share of the emotional heavy lifting in this movie in the (frankly unnecessary and way too long) scenes where the townsfolk took out their pitchforks against the wrong person and then at the end of the film where she finally embraced her mother's mantle as the person to take down Michael. But instead of having a triumphant new Final Girl (or Final Mom) moment, the movie starts intimating at the supernatural origin aspect of Michael Myers that helped make the original movie series go completely off the rails and then we get an incredibly dumbass "shock" ending where Michael not only slips unseen into a house crawling with police but kills a screaming woman with seemingly no one noticing.
Halloween was a disappointing mess that had more of the Rob Zombie Halloween films DNA in it than what David Gordon Green gave us in his first film. And being similar in any way to Zombie's Halloween movies is a not a good thing at all.

I give 'Halloween Kills' 2 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
It’s funny you say that about the supernatural thing. David Gordon green said it’s not that at all but it’s something Laurie believes. There’s a lot of that in the movie with people theorizing what Michael is or who he is and I think that goes back to the theme of hearsay and believing what you want to believe and going with it.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It’s funny you say that about the supernatural thing. David Gordon green said it’s not that at all but it’s something Laurie believes. There’s a lot of that in the movie with people theorizing what Michael is or who he is and I think that goes back to the theme of hearsay and believing what you want to believe and going with it.
I fully buy into Michael being durable as hell but to have him pop up after the beating/shooting/stabbing that Judy Greer and the angry mob gave him to rip through them like they were wet tissue paper all while Laurie was talking a bunch of supernatural mumbo jumbo implies that they are going down "human vessel for evil druid magic" rabbit hole whether Green wants to admit or not.
So while that may not be what he says he meant to do what he put on the screen was Supernatural Michael Myers.