Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Aside from so many of the things on your list not being actual werewolf movies, there is nothing recent on there either.
Name the werewolf movies (and I'm just talking movies) from the past 5 years and tell me the market is too oversaturated with them.

Meanwhile you mention needing more ghost movies when that is one of the most overused concepts in horror over the last decade.
They were all werewolf based movies- stop. Or if it wasnt all werewolves - it was vampires fighting werewolves or werewolves v demons.
:unimpressed:
name ghost movies in the past five years that were actual real life ghosts instead of a slow build psychological horror, the character’s imagination, gaslighting, multiple identities, demon possession or any other ghost like entity other than The Conjuring, Blair Witch, Grave Encounters..The Exorcist tv show.

I’ll wait. Don’t say Paranormal Activity bc that was a witches coven.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
No Jello. You are incorrect in your opinion. This is what we’re doing? Are you prepared to have a fight night? I’m not feeling what you’re saying about ghost movies at all. Don’t act like werewolves haven’t been marketed for like the past 20 years; you did read my list right?? Then what is the argument?
uhm-suspicious.gif
Your list was basura, ma'am.

Most of it wasn't even werewolf movies.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Lol- what’s the more tragic “end” to a pivotal horror movie secondary character. Choose from these 3:

a) Halloween - Dr. Loomis never being able to “cure” or end the serial killer reign of , Michael Myers even though he dedicated his life career to doing so. Was burned in a fire and hitchhiked all the way to Haddonfield only to end up dead and seeing people around him get murdered.

b) Aliens - Newt (and Ripley’s crew) dying in hypersleep. Then they do a 2 second blurb explaining this in the follow up movie

c) Andy’s mom- knowing that Chucky is a killer doll. That she ends up in a psych ward and never seeing her son again even though everything she said is completely true and happened in real life.
Andy's mom in the loony bin.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
They were all werewolf based movies- stop. Or if it wasnt all werewolves - it was vampires fighting werewolves or werewolves v demons.
name ghost movies in the past five years that were actual real life ghosts instead of a slow build psychological horror, the character’s imagination, gaslighting, multiple identities, demon possession or any other ghost like entity other than The Conjuring, Blair Witch, Grave Encounters..The Exorcist tv show.

I’ll wait. Don’t say Paranormal Activity bc that was a witches coven.
Just since 2015:

Last Shift
Our House
We Are Still Here
Deadtectives
Ghost Stories
Poltergeist
Mercy Black
Host
Followed
Insidious: The Last Key
Doctor Sleep
Ouija: Origin of Evil
Crimson Peak
Woman in Black 2
The Maid
Winchester
Down A Dark Hall
The Curse of La Llorona
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Ghost Squad
La Llorona
The Soul Conductor
The Dead Room
Anguish
Mary
The Disappointments Room
Ghostbusters
Sinister 2
The Grudge
The Other Side of The Door
Dark Summer
A Ghost Story
Rings
Separation
The Banishing
Another Evil
The Wasting
His House
Personal Shopper
Polaroid
Endless
The Turning
Things Heard And Seen
Tigers Are Not Afraid
Compound Fracture
Boarding School
Dark Signal
Haunting On Sorority Row
Pay the Ghost
The Little Stranger
The Lodgers
Truth or Dare
The Gallows
The Gallows Act II
Ghosts of War
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House
Amityville: The Awakening
The Axe Murders Of Villisca
The Charnel House
The Amityville Terror
The Diabolical
Ghosthunters
Cold Moon

:sas2:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Just since 2015:

Last Shift
Our House
We Are Still Here
Deadtectives
Ghost Stories
Poltergeist
Mercy Black
Host
Followed
Insidious: The Last Key
Doctor Sleep
Ouija: Origin of Evil
Crimson Peak
Woman in Black 2
The Maid
Winchester
Down A Dark Hall
The Curse of La Llorona
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Ghost Squad
La Llorona
The Soul Conductor
The Dead Room
Anguish
Mary
The Disappointments Room
Ghostbusters
Sinister 2
The Grudge
The Other Side of The Door
Dark Summer
A Ghost Story
Rings
Separation
The Banishing
Another Evil
The Wasting
His House
Personal Shopper
Polaroid
Endless
The Turning
Things Heard And Seen
Tigers Are Not Afraid
Compound Fracture
Boarding School
Dark Signal
Haunting On Sorority Row
Pay the Ghost
The Little Stranger
The Lodgers
Truth or Dare
The Gallows
The Gallows Act II
Ghosts of War
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House
Amityville: The Awakening
The Axe Murders Of Villisca
The Charnel House
The Amityville Terror
The Diabolical
Ghosthunters
Cold Moon

:sas2:
Bookmarked for Tomm. We shall revisit this. Discussion will continue. List is Noted.

I have to battle a bedwench bytch who is also role playing in digital black face making derogatory and racist comments about black people in TLR to cause dissension. I will return but duty calls.
200w.gif

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Dream Home on shudder :picard:

This is one of the more brutal slasher movies I've seen. She really wanted that apartment, geez!

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I watched all the Hellraiser movies up till the one where they're in a house or its a video game and people are dieing. The only ones I like are the first 2 and the one where there was a cop in LA. The cop movie wasn't felt like another movie where they added the Hellraiser stuff into it but it was fun.

Ive only saw the first two Halloween movies and then everything after H20. Are the movies I'm missing watchable?

I'm about to watch the NOES remake because I have seen it since it was out it theaters. Might re-watch the series since it's been awhile. Every time I want to watch them I just watch Never Sleep again instead.

Netflix also added more to their Movies that Made Us series. The episodes are Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, RoboCop, Aliens, and Coming to America. The RoboCop and Aliens one made me want to re-watch them but they're not streaming on anything I have.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Halloween Kills was fun and had some clever ideas, but...it was way more fun than scary. They upped the ante by increasing the body count and brutality of the kills; but that kill count increase comes with trade-offs. We get nameless fodder murked in groups through montage murder-scenes that belong maybe in an action movie but have zero tension. Instead of settling on a handful of characters for us to connect with, they give us a bunch of viewpoints who need ten minutes to find an excuse to run into Michael before we're supposed to care about them getting got. So if you want to see a high body count, fast pace, with just a few breadcrumbs of legitimate plot development...yeah, this joint hits. It's a popcorn movie through and through.

That's not a bad thing though fam. I'm not kidding about Halloween Kills being a really fun experience. The theater routinely broke into laughter or screamed at stupidity on screen like a good ole midnight movie viewing. Some of the jumps did get people in the theater and that set off chains of jokes. The movie doesn't change the classic Michael Myers kill formula and that means the whole theater was anticipating the shape appearing. The horror movie logic that can be frustrating actually played to everyone's entertainment and excitement...but be aware that there are a ton of bad decisions helping move events forward. Then there's the ending...fam...this is a love it or hate it conclusion that ought to impact the rules of engagement going forward. Personally, I hated it. Now, a bit more details that are gonna brush against spoiler territory though I'll try not to give away too much.

The smartest thing they did with this knew Halloween, was to call-back the old Halloween. There's a flashback to 1978 that includes scenes of Loomis cut together with new events that flesh out what happened after the first movie. It follows up by reminding us about some of the other characters from the original movies. The last movie focused on the lasting impact that Michael had on Laurie, the babysitter. The sequel spends some time on the impact Michael on the kids who were beiing babysat. They're all grown now and carrying a lot of the same weight that Laurie has. This is a DOPE idea! I mentioned how they rushed through character intro's and development above, but we had built in investment to these characters.

That backfires kinda quickly though, because this new-old group immediately sets out to make a collection of the dumbest choices possible. They do all of the dumbest things horror characters do. They split-up, walk off on their own, and only could make things easier for Michael if they'd worn glow in the dark clothes. But in the name of upping the bodycount, they're brushed aside to introduce us to new meaningless fodder characters that never add anything to the overarching plot.

The movie also has to give us more of the Strodes. Laurie goes through intensive surgery and is back on her feet at lightspeed, but hobbled enough to be stuck at a hospital...which also gets locked down with an angry mob trapped inside. This actually brings a dope concept around. The way Myers drove Loomis and Laurie to the point of obsession and needing to kill him...it turns out that impact happens to everyone else too. Outside of Laurie's daughter who is the singular voice of reason in the entire movie; EVERYONE else has worked into the Loomis fervor. That might have sparked something interesting with a more bold approach from the creators, but it winds up being a detour from Michael vs Haddonfield that is completely unnecessary and doesn't really change anyone or push anything forward.

The youngest of the Strode women actually becomes a combination of the prior to plotpoints. She joins the babysittee's club because she wants revenge for her dad. This is despite the fact that she explicitly knows Michael wasn't actually targeting her family. They're all safe at the hospital, but she's got the Loomis mindset. So we get her as the ONLY consequential character from the first movie actually being positioned to run into Michael but also acts as a good excuse to bring together the disparate plots for a finale. She doesn't develop beyond wanting revenge though and her group's attempts at catching Michael were so foolish that the theater laughed through it.

Now, the bigger spoiler...Lemme get into why I hated the ending, so turn around here if you haven't seen the movie. The big conclusion for this film jumps the shark completely in my eyes. Tommy and Karen (Laurie Strode's daughter and the mother of the trio of Strode women) set-up Michael in a trap that says "logic be damned." Karen has a chance to finish Michael, but steals his mask instead to get him into the trap. Michael lumbers right into it, because why not? The trap is basically just another angry mob and we're blessed with a scene in which maskless Michael gets jumped. But plot-twist...Michael survives being jumped, stabbed, shot, burned, stomped, and everything else through what's implied to be mask super powers. We get our second kill montage of the movie as Michael manages to take out his second collection of armed adults on some John Wick but as a slasher ish. If that isn't enough, we get one last dumb character moment to finalize that none of the characters or developments mattered in this movie for anything other than establishing that Michael isn't human.

As fun as the movie was, I hate this. It was obvious something had to flip so that we could get a third installment. Super Michael sucks to me though. He's also basically bodied or hospitalized every key figure from the first two movies. We're down to hospital horror or timeskip for the next one. I assume they'll need to destory the mask to kill him. I also don't think there's much space to turn back toward a more subtle and intimate kind of horror that I would enjoy. This is an action-thriller franchise now...with jokes.

So yeah...really fun movie with some pacing issues...but I'm not really looking forward to the third one any more. There were some really clever plot ideas and brutal kills, but the direction overall feels like it's moving away from everything I like most about Halloween movies. Now I have to cross my fingers and hope that Scream does better because so far the latest remakes have been good but not scary imo.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I’ve heard some really good things about VHS94 on shudder. It’s their biggest movie premiere to date :ehh: I didn’t like a majority of the other ones, but I always liked the concept

Also, they’re coming out with another paranormal activity on paramount plus?! :dahell: I just seen a commercial for that shyt, it says coming soon. The last one was so bad, it killed the franchise for years :dead: the third one was actually my favorite, I had no idea this is the 7th film in the series

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
October 15th: Wer
JaCGzaJ.jpg

After a frustratingly slow start Wer picks up the pace exponentially and the second half of this movie was a wonderfully brutal affair with gruesome werewolf violence and more dead Frenchman than you could shake a baguette at.
I also liked the decision to go with lycanthropy as a scientifically quantifiable medical condition as opposed to a full blown supernatural thing with people turning into actual wolves. There was something much more unsettling about what was basically a very hairy hobo running around ripping people to shreds than whatever would've been done with CGI or a shaggy dog costume.
All in all, Wer delivers a pretty solid monster movie that despite some minor stumbles ended up being totally worth the watch.

I give 'Wer' 3 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The I Know What You Did Last Summer series should be dropping this weekend. I'll prob give that a look.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Bookmarked for Tomm. We shall revisit this. Discussion will continue. List is Noted.

I have to battle a bedwench bytch who is also role playing in digital black face making derogatory and racist comments about black people in TLR to cause dissension. I will return but duty calls.
200w.gif
I could've added even more just from 2015 to now and even more if we moved the date out to last 10 years.