Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The Howling - NO!! (We’ve had enough werewolves and vampire movies, it’s overrsaturated sub genre)
Incredibly, The Howling is another horror series that somehow lasted for 30 years, encompassing eight films (not to mention the three novels by author Gary Brandner on which the movies are loosely based) that have almost all gone direct-to-video and bear little resemblance or relation to the much loved 1981 classic directed by Joe Dante and featuring groundbreaking transformation effects by Rob Bottin.

The legendarily bad Howling II…Your Sister is a Werewolf was the first and last more-or-less direct sequel to the Dante film. But since the franchise has been dormant since 2011, the time is probably ripe for a full-on remake/reboot rather than a direct sequel to the now 40-year-old original, although any new film can certainly make plentiful references to the Dante movie. It director Andy Muschietti was supposedly going to direct a remake for Netflix, although his current involvement with DC’s The Flash has clearly set that aside for now, with no updates since early 2020.
I don't get the argument that there are too many werewolf movies. Out of all the subgenres of horror I'd say werewolf stuff is always under-represented.
I think 2021 has had only two werewolf movies (Werewolves Within and The Wolf of Snow Hollow) the whole year.
And while The Howling is cool, if I were to have a werewolf flick remade I'd go for Wolfen.
The concept behind the original would be pretty easy to update for current times and would feel just as timely.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Thanks for the feedback! I added Hellraiser:Revelations to my list bc it’s streaming for free on Tubi or Pluto but then I saw all of the bad reviews from fans - I hit the nOpE on that. But thx for the confirmation. Will do the first 2 to watch- eventually. And since those later releases are not true to Clive- that would be a disservice, skipping off general principle.
Clive Barker's response to the promotional ad copy for Hellraiser: Revelations saying "From the Mind of Clive Barker":

That should tell you all you need to know about the movie's quality.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Clive Barker's response to the promotional ad copy for Hellraiser: Revelations saying "From the Mind of Clive Barker":

Clive Barker's kinda hilarious. I remember reading somewhere that he had little meta moments in the Scarlet Gospels that were obvious messages to the Hellraiser fans. I wish I'd actually read them so that I could reference something more directly.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
You gotta be in the right mood for Hellraiser. Real shiit. They’re not just flicks you put on to past the time or because you’ve got free time.

They’re doing a Hulu remake and a hbo tv show so you got time to catch up but if they aren’t for you, don’t be mad at yourself lol
You know what? I think that’s exactly what it is - the mood for it. You’re right. Remember it took me forever to see Exorcist 3? I have to be in the right vibe, rather than a pass the time or background watch. And there’s so much other shyt that I’m trying to keep up or preoccupied about. I need to watch Hellraiser with a clear slate.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don't get the argument that there are too many werewolf movies. Out of all the subgenres of horror I'd say werewolf stuff is always under-represented.
I think 2021 has had only two werewolf movies (Werewolves Within and The Wolf of Snow Hollow) the whole year.
And while The Howling is cool, if I were to have a werewolf flick remade I'd go for Wolfen.
The concept behind the original would be pretty easy to update for current times and would feel just as timely.
Nahhhh , respectfully disagree. Between Twilight, vampire chronicle movies, interview with a vampire, even Midnight Mass to date, then on top of that we had vampire love stories series, the strain- like enough already!!! That’s a one bloodsucker every 6 week average for the past 25 years and counting. I’m tired. Every movie has a vampire inspired twist or theme. Shall I list?? Ok - I’ll do that. Give me a moment. I’ve been wanting to vent about these damn vampires for the longest and you just provided the energy for my verbal outlet. Again respectfully. I’m sooooo done with vampires - you’re undercounting the vampire situation.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The only divergence that I agree with in the vampire - werewolf genre is when it takes a different lane like in the case of Dracula Untold or Underworld. Totally different formula. Underworld is the anti-twilight. Selene was like - “fuk love, let’s get this work in- we are at war!!” That’s what I like about her. No time for feelings - that’s a distraction.

But this whole vampire bite turns savage turns into contagion, turns into epidemic then even worse the never ending forbidden love between turns into love story during a movie. Miss me. Rinse repeat with the werewolf. Different day, same beast.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Nahhhh , respectfully disagree. Between Twilight, vampire chronicle movies, interview with a vampire, even Midnight Mass to date, then on top of that we had vampire love stories series, the strain- like enough already!!! That’s a one bloodsucker every 6 week average for the past 25 years and counting. I’m tired. Every movie has a vampire inspired twist or theme. Shall I list?? Ok - I’ll do that. Give me a moment. I’ve been wanting to vent about these damn vampires for the longest and you just provided the energy for my verbal outlet. Again respectfully. I’m sooooo done with vampires - you’re undercounting the vampire situation.
I was only talking about werewolves though.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You know what? I think that’s exactly what it is - the mood for it. You’re right. Remember it took me forever to see Exorcist 3? I have to be in the right vibe, rather than a pass the time or background watch. And there’s so much other shyt that I’m trying to keep up or preoccupied about. I need to watch Hellraiser with a clear slate.
My best friend hasn’t seen them and I tell him every single time to make sure he’s in the mood for some wild freaky shyt. If he’s not, then don’t watch it.

Same for you. Both movies are wild freaky sex shyt lol while also being wild horror shyt. Beyond anything in exorcist 3, which is still just a serial killer movie with religious horror. Hellraiser is some shyt that I’ve seen two movies and I said “yup I’m good”

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
There are too many werewolf movies- you are under counting due to your bias. And another genre that’s starting to irk me is Zombies.. ughhh. Ok we get it- the undead. I blame The Walking Dead for this though. Look at this list and tell me:
Van Helsing
wolfen
Wolfman
Mortal Instruments
Howl
Wer
What we do in the freakin shadows
Among the freaking shadows
Dark freaking shadows
I’m getting annoyed just listing out these movies bc it’s so many
Red Riding Hood
Wolfcop
Teen wolf
Skin walkers
The howling
The howling reborn
Breaking dawn with those Twighlight bytches and that moody ass chick
New Moon
Ginger snaps
Ginger snaps back
Cursed
Teen Wolf
Teen wolf 2
Tween Wolf
Mid life crisis Wolf
Howling vol 4698755
Never Cry wolf
Cursed
American Werewolf in Paris
American Werewolf in London
American Werewolf in America
Bad Moon
Blood Moon
The Beast
The Beast of Bray Roads
The Beast gets the Beats
Beastly
Lost Boys
Lost Boys remake
Legend of the Werewolf
SkinWalker
Walker the Wolfen Texas Ranger
Wolf blood
Full eclipse
Romancing with Wolves
Shows:
Legacies
Bitten
Buffy
Teen wolf
Vampire diaries ( because you can’t have wolves without vampires)
True blood
Fright Night
Harry Potter and the Wolf of Half Blood Wall Street
Hemlock Grove
The Strain

Yada yada. You see where I’m going. No other genre has this much attention since 2000s besides wolves.There are other beasts besides werewolves to make movies about. We need more ocean movies, forest movies, sea beast movies, ghost movies,

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps

Idk why but it’s always weird to me how old this nikka is and how he looks.
Drastically different from his younger self

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I feel like I've seen most notably and a few underrated horror movies. Im looking for something thats gonna put me in a state of fear and or shock.
At this point, studios released all of their more “fearful” and scare factor movies and series as of last week. No one is sidelining their new releases within the same timeframe as Halloween Kills. Malignant and Squid Games, Midnight Mass was the last that I’ve seen where I was actually shocked and engaged. Shudder TV and Netflix always has some unexpected gems with foreign related horror movies. You just have to do some searching and be prepared to weed through some shyt. Or go to IMDb for suggestions- don’t watch anything less than a 4.5 rating, and give a movie watch the 15- 20 min test; if it’s no build up or pacing within that time- trash it and try another one.

They’ll probably be a slump in a -level quality horror movies until Halloween Kills hype dies down and picks up around end of November - December through February. The indies will have their release time throughout Halloween season and weeks leading up to the holidays. I have stuff on my watchlist but I have low expectations whether the content is going be all that captivating. Watching for entertainment and catching up on older releases.