Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Watched "The Empty Man".

Movie wasn't very good but I'll give them points for being ambitious.

It had too much going on which in itself wouldn't be a problem with better writing/editing.

Horror is pretty much the only genre where zero explanation can actually enhance the material but when you got a 2 hour 15 minute movie that only vaguely hints at what's going on....it doesn't really work. 90 minutes is pretty much the sweet spot for "what the fukk is going on?" type horror.

Fred.
I was all in on The Empty Man at the beginning because the stuff in the mountains of Bhutan was pretty interesting but the movie turned to crap once it moved to the US and began the actual story.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
October 14th: Odd Thomas
bfc6650d316b8ff799c2b3679a7cff0a.jpg

A fun mix of supernatural action/comedy/horror with some good performances from the very fine cast and nice direction and effects from director Stephen Sommers (which was a shock to me because Sommers since the first Mummy movie).
I don’t think there could possibly have been a better casting decision than the one to cast Anton Yelchin as Odd Thomas. He embodies all the quirky bravery that I envisioned in the character from reading the books and he does a really good job carrying this movie.
While there were some spots in the film that were a bit predictable, the overall product is well done and sets up an interesting universe that would've been ripe for future films and even better as a weekly TV series.
It's just a bummer that Odd Thomas never got a release in theaters in the US due to lawsuits between the various producers of the film so all of the potential for future installments are basically dead.

I give 'Odd Thomas' 3 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Anyone else seeing Halloween Kills tonight? My cousin and I got a big group together and are renting out a theater for our closed circle to rock. I'm pretty hype!
Lucky :wtb:that sounds fun !!

I have to work and can’t watch until after I put the kids to bed. If it’s a good night, and there’s no after hours projects that come through at work. I will probably start watching at 9:45 tomm night.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
October 14th: Odd Thomas
bfc6650d316b8ff799c2b3679a7cff0a.jpg

A fun mix of supernatural action/comedy/horror with some good performances from the very fine cast and nice direction and effects from director Stephen Sommers (which was a shock to me because Sommers since the first Mummy movie).
I don’t think there could possibly have been a better casting decision than the one to cast Anton Yelchin as Odd Thomas. He embodies all the quirky bravery that I envisioned in the character from reading the books and he does a really good job carrying this movie.
While there were some spots in the film that were a bit predictable, the overall product is well done and sets up an interesting universe that would've been ripe for future films and even better as a weekly TV series.
It's just a bummer that Odd Thomas never got a release in theaters in the US due to lawsuits between the various producers of the film so all of the potential for future installments are basically dead.

I give 'Odd Thomas' 3 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
The actor who played Odd Thomas is dead as well. Tragic. RIP. This was a good movie.

What were the lawsuits about?

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The actor who played Odd Thomas is dead as well. Tragic. RIP. This was a good movie.

What were the lawsuits about?
The two production companies sued one another for breach of contract over how much money should have been spent on promotion and how much on repayment of loans.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Anyone else watching the new double feature of AMerican Horror Story on FX ? It’s about Aliens, the Kennedy assassination, Roswell, New Mexico.

Things I learned from AHS- season 10 ep 8 - apparently Kennedy was assassinated because Johnson made a human harvesting deal with the Visitors and to prevent any details from leaking to the public. Kennedy needed to be terminated. Also Marilyn Monroe was really an alien in disguise. Lyndon Johnson’s wife is an alien. Some of us May be alien/human hybrids because the aliens kidnapped humans from earth for breeding. Next up - The alien invaders were behind Watergate.
:deadmanny::deadmanny:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I was all in on The Empty Man at the beginning because the stuff in the mountains of Bhutan was pretty interesting but the movie turned to crap once it moved to the US and began the actual story.

If you liked the start of this movie you should check out "The Ritual".

Anyway, I actually thought it was cool that it changed horror genres like three times but the writing wasn't good enough to tie it all together.

Apparently the movie is based on a graphic novel so maybe they tried to cram several comic arcs into one movie, I dunno. I haven't read comics since the early 90's.

Fred.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I agree with most of this list:
Horror Movies That Should Get the Halloween Reboot Treatment - Den of Geek

Still have not seen The Hellraiser franchise yet only parts here and there - even though @Jello Biafra and @MartyMcFly have been telling me to do so since I first starting posting in this thread back in 2018?or was it 2019? do not revoke my horror movie fan club card- it’s hard to keep up at times and ummm— Halloween Kills comes out tomm
dave-chappelle-slap.gif

I wouldn't go past the first 2 "Hellraiser" movies. First two are classics.

3 was ok but the first two are the only ones that had input from Clive Barker.

After the 3rd movie Dimension Studios kept the franchise captive for like 20 years. They'd periodically put out low budget movies with the Hellraiser title specifically so the rights wouldn't revert back to Barker. Don't watch any of them, they're awful.

Fred.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Follow up from the above list of movies that need remakes- my picks with comments

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - YES (my top watch)
Along with Zack Snyder’s 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead, the 2003 “re-imagining” of Tobe Hooper’s seminal 1974 classic The Texas Chain Saw Massacre proved to Hollywood that iconic horror brand names could be repackaged for maximum box office appeal while fending off naysayers who decried the potential desecration of the genre’s tentpoles. Fortunately, the 2003 Massacre was quite an effective film on its own, even if it didn’t quite match the nightmarish surrealism of the original.

Then again, few films have, including all seven other titles that fall under the Texas Chain Saw umbrella. Even Hooper’s own, long-delayed 1986 sequel is only intermittently gripping, while more recent misfires like 2013’s Texas Chainsaw 3D and 2017’s Leatherface have only continued to sully the brand. Now the franchise seems to be going the Halloween route. There’s an alleged “direct” sequel to the original film, shot last year and directed by someone named David Blue Garcia, and it’s slated to be released by Netflix at a yet-to-be-determined date.

The Howling - NO!! (We’ve had enough werewolves and vampire movies, it’s overrsaturated sub genre)
Incredibly, The Howling is another horror series that somehow lasted for 30 years, encompassing eight films (not to mention the three novels by author Gary Brandner on which the movies are loosely based) that have almost all gone direct-to-video and bear little resemblance or relation to the much loved 1981 classic directed by Joe Dante and featuring groundbreaking transformation effects by Rob Bottin.

The legendarily bad Howling II…Your Sister is a Werewolf was the first and last more-or-less direct sequel to the Dante film. But since the franchise has been dormant since 2011, the time is probably ripe for a full-on remake/reboot rather than a direct sequel to the now 40-year-old original, although any new film can certainly make plentiful references to the Dante movie. It director Andy Muschietti was supposedly going to direct a remake for Netflix, although his current involvement with DC’s The Flash has clearly set that aside for now, with no updates since early 2020.

Friday the 13th (YES!!! hopefully they will do so before my kids start having kids, sheeeeessh)
Yes, everyone has a favorite entry or two (or at least a guilty pleasure) in the long-running Friday the 13th saga, but this is a series that was running on fumes almost from the get-go. For Chrissakes, even the 1980 original isn’t exactly a great movie. Nonetheless, it’s renowned for its plentiful gore and that immortal, shocking ending. So returning to that ending could be interesting, particularly since the mythology of the original series has been nearly as snarled and convoluted as that of Halloween. So why not pretend that the (quick count) 11 succeeding films never happened? Pick up right where the first film left off and re-introduce Jason in a creative new fashion.

Children of the Corn (YES, just because, no explanation needed)
Who would have thought that Stephen King’s 1977 short story, originally published in Penthouse magazine and taking up a mere 30 pages or so in his classic Night Shift collection, would be the unholy progenitor of one of the longest-running franchises in horror history? After some 37 years and 11 films, the highest rating any of the entries were able to muster on Rotten Tomatoes (if reviewed at all) was a measly 33 percent, and that was for the original, which was a lousy piece of junk to begin with.

We’re not going to even pretend we’ve watched any of these pictures beyond the first, and from what we understand, there’s little or no continuity among them anyway. Yet the original tale is creepy enough (if far from King’s best), so conceivably the whole thing could be rebooted from scratch and perhaps even given the kind of folk-horror angle that has been back in fashion in recent times. Or since the original has nostalgic value, imagine coming back on the same town 40 years after “the children” took over and may have been replaced by other generations. No, it doesn’t make sense, but a screenwriter could hammer out the logistics. The name alone still has some kind of cache, after all. Someone’s been watching these things for nearly four decades!

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I wouldn't go past the first 2 "Hellraiser" movies. First two are classics.

3 was ok but the first two are the only ones that had input from Clive Barker.

After the 3rd movie Dimension Studios kept the franchise captive for like 20 years. They'd periodically put out low budget movies with the Hellraiser title specifically so the rights wouldn't revert back to Barker. Don't watch any of them, they're awful.

Fred.
Thanks for the feedback! I added Hellraiser:Revelations to my list bc it’s streaming for free on Tubi or Pluto but then I saw all of the bad reviews from fans - I hit the nOpE on that. But thx for the confirmation. Will do the first 2 to watch- eventually. And since those later releases are not true to Clive- that would be a disservice, skipping off general principle.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I agree with most of this list:
Horror Movies That Should Get the Halloween Reboot Treatment - Den of Geek

Still have not seen The Hellraiser franchise yet only parts here and there - even though @Jello Biafra and @MartyMcFly have been telling me to do so since I first starting posting in this thread back in 2018?or was it 2019? do not revoke my horror movie fan club card- it’s hard to keep up at times and ummm— Halloween Kills comes out tomm
dave-chappelle-slap.gif
You gotta be in the right mood for Hellraiser. Real shiit. They’re not just flicks you put on to past the time or because you’ve got free time.

They’re doing a Hulu remake and a hbo tv show so you got time to catch up but if they aren’t for you, don’t be mad at yourself lol

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
If you liked the start of this movie you should check out "The Ritual".

Anyway, I actually thought it was cool that it changed horror genres like three times but the writing wasn't good enough to tie it all together.

Apparently the movie is based on a graphic novel so maybe they tried to cram several comic arcs into one movie, I dunno. I haven't read comics since the early 90's.

Fred.

I liked The Ritual but agree with your critique that the folks behind it couldn't tie all the genre shifts together quite as well as I hoped they would.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Anyone else watching the new double feature of AMerican Horror Story on FX ? It’s about Aliens, the Kennedy assassination, Roswell, New Mexico.

Things I learned from AHS- season 10 ep 8 - apparently Kennedy was assassinated because Johnson made a human harvesting deal with the Visitors and to prevent any details from leaking to the public. Kennedy needed to be terminated. Also Marilyn Monroe was really an alien in disguise. Lyndon Johnson’s wife is an alien. Some of us May be alien/human hybrids because the aliens kidnapped humans from earth for breeding. Next up - The alien invaders were behind Watergate.
:deadmanny::deadmanny:
Last night's episode redeemed the season a bit for me just with the fukkery. Got Mamie Eisenhower banging an alien robot in the Presidential bedroom and then the alien baby at the end turning on dude:

NuMH3XM.gif

:russ: