Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Good review and I agree with all of it.

I wanted to like this movie because slasher is my favorite horror subgenre and that first kill of the jock was so well done...then we get to the kill at the house party and everything turned to shyt. The choice of victim made no sense, the setting was even dumber and it also completely blew the big secret of who was doing the killings.
The rest of the movie was just trash right up to the awful ending.
I did love the creepy face masks that made the victims basically have to face themselves before paying for their transgressions.

Co-sign 1000%. Those face masks were such a great idea and the revealing victims' secrets had a spark when it started just like you said fam. Everything from the house party on just throws out what few rules were established and turns everything into paint by numbers slasher lameness.

October 10th:You Might Be the Killer
uaTtaHq.jpg

You Might Be the Killer miraculously is able to take a paper thin (if admittedly very funny) Twitter conversation between two authors and make an astoundingly fun movie that pokes at the slasher horror genre with a sharp stick and I can't recommend it enough.

I give 'You Might Be the Killer' 3 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

I remember liking this one a lot too, though it ran a little long for me but that's 99% of horror-comedies to my tastes.

morris

Superstar
Daps
October 11th:The Night House
ukiIyBR.png

Despite a pretty muddled concept and narrative that relies on ambiguity just a bit too long, The Night House is still a very entertaining watch.
The way director Doug Bruckner plays with shadows and space to create the sense of being watched or not alone is masterful and Rebecca Hall gives a raw performance that carries this film even in spots where it was dragging a bit.

I give 'The Night House' 3 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'
this was very good imo. And somewhat original. Ending could have been a bit better but still good nonetheless

High advisory watch

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Recent First time watches for my Halloween run and quick thoughts:

The Night House: I'm with everyone else who has praised this joint. I always like a film that leaves you disoriented and this one achieves that while fitting those dream-like moments and the discomfort into the plot really well. It's dark, characters act realistic, and this joint took some cool risks with dope visuals as a reward. I kinda wanna deep dive on this one. Also, this has the first jump scare to really catch me off-guard since the first Anabelle movie...like I jumped and audibly cursed...that's extremely rare and I watch EVERYTHING.

Tragedy Girls: Hey this one snuck by me in 2017, but it's pretty dope. Two HS girls go on a murder spree to try and draw attention to their serial killer blog. It's as quirky and tongue-in-cheek as that concept sounds. It satirizes some horror tropes, has a couple of clever easter eggs (they remake an iconic Halloween image at one point), and I genuinely laughed a few times. I like it, definitely suggest it.

The Gallows: I wasn't a big fan of the sequel, but had heard this original is better. It's found-footage about a HS drama club that's trying to perform a play the school hasn't put on since a tragic accident happened long ago. Some students sneak onto the set the night before the play (typical troublemakers) and wind up trapped by the ghosts from the original tragedy. It starts a little weak, but gets better as it runs. They use cool color plays with nightvision, red emergency lights, darkness, and spotlighting. There are some twists mixed in to give it a more complete narrative feel and I dug the way they ended it. Not a home-run, but a very solid found-footage film.

Pig: Got around to finishing this...it's not horror, but it was REALLY entertaining. One of my favorite Nicholas Cage performances in a long time, and that's despite him being pretty subdued throughout.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
October 12th: The Manor
R5xNSeQ.jpg

A nifty little supernatural tale that is held aloft by the wonderful performance of Barbara Hershey. The big reveal of what exactly is going on falls a bit flat but then is immediately self-corrected by the unexpected twist that follows.

I give 'The Manor' 2 out 4 Gun Totin' Dr. Loomis'

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

Looks mid imo

It looked OK to me but (and this is just based on the 2 minute trailer) not like they are trying to re-invent the wheel with this.

Best line of the trailer for me:
eUAtOhI.gif

This shot is cool:
mW2D1ze.gif

I do think they showed a bit too much though:
uvhV2pB.gif

Hopefully they commit to being a little bold and offing at least one of the OG 3.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
It looked OK to me but (and this is just based on the 2 minute trailer) not like they are trying to re-invent the wheel with this.

Best line of the trailer for me:
eUAtOhI.gif

This shot is cool:
mW2D1ze.gif

I do think they showed a bit too much though:
uvhV2pB.gif

Hopefully they commit to being a little bold and offing at least one of the OG 3.
Did see Gale screaming in there :lupe: