Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Why do we love scary movies so much fam

I'm kinda obsessed with narrative and symbolism. Horror takes a lot regular fears than creates physical threats to represent those fears and I LOVE that ish. How we interpret the scare can tell us more about ourselves and other people might find a completely different aspect scare or take a different symbol. That sort of stuff is hype to me, horror becoming an ink blot test when we get deep into what scared us about a film.

Then there's the fun aspect. Being in a theater where everyone jumps at the same time or where you can FEEL the hush that comes over a crowd before a jump...people scream, grip their seat, and then they laugh because of the shared catharsis. It's a rush, and as you go down the rabbit hole there's this whole community of like-minded people chasing the thrill.

And finally, there's the creativity...Horror takes age-old myths and legends, but has to repackage them or reimagine them to avoid feeling stale. We know what a vampire is and that means a writer/director has an uphill challenge to scaring us. He can follow the tropes and use them to his advantage or flip them on their head. We thought we knew zombies for decades before 28 days later was like "hey what if they ran though?" And the game straight up changed from there. Movies like Scream and Leslie Vernon didn't change the rules, but packaged them in ways that winked and nodded to the audience. Meanwhile, movies like Candyman and It Follows lay their rules out for you early-on but then leave you helplessly watching fools stumble into the trap.

But even beyond the classics, there's all this low-budget stuff that's made with love. I can't watch a low-budget action movie and a cheaply made drama will fall flat. But you give me a horror movie that was made with love or with some creative bit behind the concept and I will hold it dearly. So you wind up being like a prospecter looking for gold...and eventually, if you get to fanatic level...you wind up in a community like this one. Sharing your favorite hidden gems, debating about the merits of Rob Zombie movies at least once a month, and leaving movie theaters excited to come back to everyone else with the results of your experience.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
Vicious Fun was exactly that. This is probably one of the most enjoyable horror movies I've watched all year.
Def a good watch for horror-comedy fans.

werewolves within was also pretty enjoyable. I watched vicious fun last night and was thoroughly entertained. So far the horror-comedies have been way more enjoyable this year. All the big horror movies releases this year have either been bland(spiral and the conjuring 3) or just ok(the quiet place 2).

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
werewolves within was also pretty enjoyable. I watched vicious fun last night and was thoroughly entertained. So far the horror-comedies have been way more enjoyable this year. All the big horror movies releases this year have either been bland(spiral and the conjuring 3) or just ok(the quiet place 2).
I have Werewolves Within on deck for tonight.
I agree that the horror-comedy releases of 2021 have been carrying horror for the most part.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This looks interesting:

A large monster attacks Japan but dies suddenly. It’s only a matter of time that a gas explosion will take place from the carcass of the monster, which could cause the country to collapse. Arata Tatewaki (Ryosuke Yamada) is assigned to lead a special force team into the critical area. Yukino Amane (Tao Tsuchiya) appears in front of Arata Tatewaki. She is the secretary to the environment minister and also the ex-fiancee of Arata Tatewaki.

Daikaijyu no Atoshimatsu is written and directed by Satoshi Miki. The film is a joint collaboration between movie studios Toei and Shochiku and was shot in the Kanto region of Japan.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Night of the Animated Dead Rises This Fall

zLKGWNZ.jpg

George A. Romero’s Night of the Living Dead has resonated in pop culture for more than 50 years. Now, the 1968 feature that birthed the zombie movie genre is getting the animated treatment with Night of the Animated Dead.

The animated adaptation voice stars Josh Duhamel as Harry Cooper, Dulé Hill as Ben, Katharine Isabelle as Barbara, James Roday Rodriguez as Tom, Katee Sackhoff as Judy, Will Sasso as Sheriff McClelland, Jimmi Simpson as Johnny and Nancy Travis as Helen Cooper.

The animated adaptation is directed by Jason Axinn, who helmed the 2019 animated horror feature To Your Last Death.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has plans to release Night of the Animated Dead this fall on Blu-ray, DVD and digital.

‘Night of the Animated Dead’ Voice Cast Set for George A. Romero Movie – The Hollywood Reporter

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Stephen King revealed the worst horror movie he ever saw and it was 1963's Blood Feast.

Synopsis: In the sleepy suburbs of Miami, seemingly normal Egyptian immigrant Fuad Ramses (Mal Arnold) runs a successful catering business. He also murders young women and plans to use their body parts to revive the goddess Ishtar. The insane Ramses hypnotizes a socialite in order to land a job catering a party for her debutante daughter, Suzette Fremont (Connie Mason), and turns the event into an evening of gruesome deaths, bloody dismemberment and ritual sacrifice.

The movie had a sequel in 2002 called Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat

There was even a Blood Feast remake in 2016:

All of these movies look horrendous.:russ:

I might have to do a Blood Feast triple play this weekend though.:troll:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Fear Street 1994 was dope. For a work based off the R. L. Stine books, I like how it balanced out the cheesiness while also letting me get the best of both worlds with the gruesome, serious bits. The influences from Scream were felt throughout the opening sequence, and set the tone for the rest of the film well.

Speaking of Scream though….

I just knew Kate was going to bite the bullet when she first popped on screen in that Rose McGowan role. Her dying wasn’t a shocker at all, but it’s the way she died that was crazy fukked up. :picard:

Also, how the hell was Josh on AIM in ‘94 when it didn’t launch until 1997? :mjlol: