Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Why do we love scary movies so much fam
The mystery, the shock, the surrealism. Horror movies are comforting in an odd way. Relieves a lot of stress for me, it’s an outlet. The paradox of it all- if I didn’t watch horror movies, I would probably be a hostile person. That rest and digest response- like the dramatic build up and culmination at the end of a horror movie met with the intensity. Then I feel more relaxed and calmer. Horror movies are more creative and less predictable.

Definitely makes you less fearful of real life- it’s proven that people who watch horror movies are way less fearful or afraid in our approach to life; we can assess risks with a more conducive approach and adaptable to environments that others are more hesitant/restrained about. Butttt I think everything within limits - can lead to feelings of desensitization and lack of empathy; sometimes I find myself highly annoyed when people seem so shook by issues or events that seem small in comparison to the scheme of things or life in general. Like I get in this “:gucci:” mode.

Last edited:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@Jello Biafra i looked through old dvds - I actually had this box set for my daughter of the mock busters
kiara-brave.jpg

Never knew what that was until today
:deadmanny::deadrose:
She definitely has this one - I’ve seen it
Mock-Tangled-580x432.jpg

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Netflix's Fear Street and the return of gory 'slasher' horror

As Netflix's new Fear Street trilogy of films reinvents the murder-filled slasher movie for a new generation, Anna Bogutskaya reflects on the horror genre's lasting appeal.

Different types of horror each have their fans, but perhaps there is no subgenre equally as beloved and derided as the slasher movie. The masked killer, the pile-up of dead bodies and the "final girl" are some of the most recognisable elements of a type of horror film that just refuses to die.

In fact, it may be ready for another resurgence. This Friday sees the release of the first instalment of Fear Street, a three-part film event which reinvents slasher tropes for a younger generation. Then later this year the original slasher series, Halloween, continues with Halloween Kills, while in 2022, the self-aware slasher movie franchise, Scream, is set to return with Scream 5, the first Scream film in more than a decade.

p09mw1vv.jpg

Halloween firmly established the slasher movie rules, with its heroine Laurie Strodie (Jamie Lee Curtis) becoming the defining ‘final girl’ (Credit: Alamy)

Horror has been evolving since the very beginning of cinema but the slasher stands out as a type of horror film that is governed by structure, and a set of rules that have become so recognisable they are often parodied.

Atlhough the slasher didn't experience its first peak period until the late 1970s, it arguably started with Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960), which established some of the rules that slasher films would continue to abide by 70 years on. These include a focus on a mysterious, brutal killer motivated by a traumatic event, whose identity remains a mystery until the end, and for his victims, the fact that sex invariably equals death, and that you never go to investigate a dodgy situation alone. (Cont)

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
-
The slasher's breakout moment

But it wasn’t until 1978 that the slasher experienced its first Golden Age, with the release of Halloween. Although there were precursors, including Texas Chainsaw Massacre, about students who stumble onto a cannibal family, and Black Christmas, about an unseen killer terrorising a group of female students in their sorority house, both released in 1974, Halloween was the first fully formed, perfectly executed example of the genre. It pulled visually from giallo (the featureless mask that villain Michael Myers wears harkens back to Bava’s Blood and Black Lace and the film starts with the favoured giallo technique of a murder being committed from the killer’s point-of-view) while being directly inspired by Black Christmas. Halloween's director John Carpenter had had a conversation with Black Christmas's director John Clark, about what would happen in a hypothetical sequel to his film: "it would be the next year and the guy would have actually been caught, escape from a mental institution, go back to the house, and they would start all over again," Clark said.

The perfect slasher villain is unstoppable. You can behead him, you can blow him up, and he will keep coming back – Mike Muncer
Most importantly, Halloween was decisive in centring the slasher on the teenage experience, something that would become crucial for the genre going forward. This furnished the slasher both with an enthusiastic teen market, and with universally relatable characters whose everyday adolescent woes made the arrival of a masked murderer all the more disturbing.

With a script originally titled The Babysitter Murders, Halloween was central in cementing the slasher tropes that Psycho and giallo films had first introduced, while perfecting some newer ones, including with its heroine Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis), who the killer Myers becomes obsessed with.....

(long read article but good read)
Netflix's Fear Street and the return of gory 'slasher' horror

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@Lumumba
Blumhouse Founder Calls The Forever Purge the Scariest Purge Yet

• BY JEANETTE WHITEPUBLISHED 20 HOURS AGO
    In 2013, Blumhouse Productions and Platinum Dunes released The Purge, the first film in a dystopian horror series that ended up creating an entire franchise and devoted fanbase. Almost eight years later, the series readies to drop its fifth and final installment, The Forever Purge. As established in the franchise's previous films, the annual Purge follows strict rules. All crime, including murder, becomes legal for 12 hours -- no more. However, in The Forever Purge, a rebellious group decides to continue its own Purge and now nobody is safe.

The founder and CEO of Blumhouse Productions, Jason Blum, spoke to CBR regarding The Forever Purge. Founded in 2000, Blumhouse has over two decades of horror films under its belt, including fan-favorite franchises such as Paranormal Activity and Insidious. Given his love of horror, Blum weighed in on what makes The Forever Purge the series' scariest movie yet and whether or not he thinks the upcoming film drifted too far into the action genre.

Jason Blum: I think The Forever Purge is the best of our Purge movies. It's definitely the scariest one, the most intense one. I think the reason for this is because it's the first Purge movie without rules. The rules are out the window, so the Purge just goes on forever. The government wants to end it at 7 o'clock, but the people have other ideas. And that, just in and of itself, is very frightening. It obviously leaves America in a tattered, scary state. And that's what is different about this movie and makes it the best of all The Purgemovies we've done.

• :ohhh: I may have to up this- I thought it would be a generic purge

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Exorcist Sequel Will Be 'Like 2018's Halloween Reboot' - Den of Geek

The Exorcist Sequel Will Be ‘Like 2018’s Halloween Reboot’
After revitalizing the Halloween franchise, Jason Blum and director David Gordon Green are making an Exorcist prequel they hope will "surprise all the skeptics."

One of those is a The Exorcist sequel, which Blum is developing with director David Gordon Green. The pair’s last attempt to reenergize and sequelize a storied horror title, 2018’s Halloween, was both a box office and well-deserved critical success. It ignored decades of inferior sequels, retcons, and reboots and focused on picking up the story—40 years later—at the heart of the property: Laurie Strode’s (Jamie Lee Curtis) battle against Michael Myers.

Although he doesn’t say directly that Green’s film will disregard the four sequels and the TV series that came in the original The Exorcist’s wake, Blum hints that it will be far removed from those entries since

“[It’s] going to be like David’s Halloween sequel,” Blum says. “I think it’s going to pleasantly surprise all the skeptics out there. We had a lot of skeptics about Halloween and David turned them around, and I think he’s going to turn it around with The Exorcist.”

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
@Lumumba
Blumhouse Founder Calls The Forever Purge the Scariest Purge Yet

• BY JEANETTE WHITEPUBLISHED 20 HOURS AGO
    In 2013, Blumhouse Productions and Platinum Dunes released The Purge, the first film in a dystopian horror series that ended up creating an entire franchise and devoted fanbase. Almost eight years later, the series readies to drop its fifth and final installment, The Forever Purge. As established in the franchise's previous films, the annual Purge follows strict rules. All crime, including murder, becomes legal for 12 hours -- no more. However, in The Forever Purge, a rebellious group decides to continue its own Purge and now nobody is safe.

The founder and CEO of Blumhouse Productions, Jason Blum, spoke to CBR regarding The Forever Purge. Founded in 2000, Blumhouse has over two decades of horror films under its belt, including fan-favorite franchises such as Paranormal Activity and Insidious. Given his love of horror, Blum weighed in on what makes The Forever Purge the series' scariest movie yet and whether or not he thinks the upcoming film drifted too far into the action genre.

Jason Blum: I think The Forever Purge is the best of our Purge movies. It's definitely the scariest one, the most intense one. I think the reason for this is because it's the first Purge movie without rules. The rules are out the window, so the Purge just goes on forever. The government wants to end it at 7 o'clock, but the people have other ideas. And that, just in and of itself, is very frightening. It obviously leaves America in a tattered, scary state. And that's what is different about this movie and makes it the best of all The Purgemovies we've done.

• :ohhh: I may have to up this- I thought it would be a generic purge
Lol they just trying to sell it. At this point i feel the purge movies are action movies unless they ramp up Gore or something

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
July Shudder drops
Summer of chills continues on Shudder in July

Here’s what we have to look forward to next month on Shudder in July
July 1:

Manhunter – Before The Silence of the Lambsintroduced us to Anthony Hopkins’ Hannibal Lecter, Tom Noonan portrayed the killer in this 1986 flick. William Peterson (CSI) portrays FBI profiler Will Graham, who is in search of a serial killer called The Tooth Fairy. During the investigation, Graham is forced to acknowledge his own sociopathic character traits. The film was later remade as Red Dragon, and Graham’s character was incorporated into the television series Hannibal. Incidentally, this is a favorite film of mine.

Near Dark – Horror fans went gaga recently when news broke that this 1987 cult vampire/western mashup may be released soon on 4K Ultra HD. It has been unavailable to stream, making extremely expensive DVDs and Blu-rays the only option for those who wanted to watch it. Shudder to the rescue! Finally, this fantastic horror film, which features Bill Paxton as a traveling vamp bad boy, will be available for subscribers.

Burnt Offerings – This 1976 film features Karen Black, Bette Davis and Oliver Reed, and was directed by Dan Curtis (Dark Shadows and Night Stalker series). A family rents an old mansion for the summer at a bargain price, but they must agree to provide meals to an elderly woman upstairs. As accidents start to happen, the house seems to restore itself slowly.

Creepshow – This is another dream addition for fans, as the original 1982 horror anthology film joins Shudder’s series of the same name. Five scary tales are presented, each of them an homage to the E.C comic books of the 1950s. The all-star cast includes Leslie Nielsen, Hal Holbrook, Adrienne Barbeau, Viveca Lindfors, Ted Danson, and Stephen King himself. Trivia alert: Author Joe Hill (NOS4A2, Heart-Shaped Box) appeared in this film when he was a child.

Thirteen Ghosts – This is the 2001 remake version, which tells the story of a family who inherits a glass mansion from rich, eccentric Uncle Cyrus. When they visit the home, they find that it is haunted by 12 very angry ghosts. As it turns out, a 13th spirit is needed to complete Cyrus’s mysterious spell.

July 6

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane –Jodi Foster plays 13-year-old Rynn, who supposedly lives with her father, but he is never around. When the land lady’s son (Martin Sheen) pays her an unwanted visit, Rynn’s carefully constructed stories begin to fall apart.

Terror Train – A group of college students plan a New Year’s Eve costume party on a moving train. They are terrorized by a killer in a mask, who may be the victim of a prank gone wrong that was committed three years earlier. This was one of three films Jamie Leigh Curtis appeared in that were released in 1980 (the other two were Prom Night and The Fog).

Death Ship – A cruise ship is rammed by a strange black freighter, causing the ship to sink and most of the crew and passengers to drown. A handful of survivors climbs aboard the freighter, only to find no one on board. Well, no humans on board; it seems our group of survivors are on a Nazi prison ship, and there is an evil presence amongst them.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
More horror coming to Shudder in July
July 7:

Pledge Night –Heavy metal band Anthrax provided the soundtrack for this 1990 slasher flick, in which the vengeful spirit of a former pledge wreaks bloody havoc on college fraternity members during Hell Week 20 years later. Anthrax lead singer Joey Belladonna plays a younger version of “Acid Sid”, the deceased pledge.

Sorority House Massacre – Continuing with the college theme, sorority pledge Beth and a handful of sisters stay at the sorority house over a holiday weekend. You know what happens, a killer begins to stalk and kill the girls, and Beth finds out she has a strange connection with him.

Day of the Dead – In the third film of the Night of the Living Dead series, a handful of scientists and soldiers hunker down in a bunker in Florida. The group begins to experiment with the idea of rehabilitating the undead. A lovable zombie named Bub is the standout in this film.

Horsehead –Jessica has suffered from horrible nightmares for as long as she can remember. After her grandmother’s death, Jessica travels to her funeral and stays overnight in her family home, where she encounters her grandmother in a nightmare. Afterward, she decides to explore lucid dreaming to unlock the mysteries of her family history.

July 8:

Son (Shudder Original, also available on Shudder CA, UK and ANZ) – Laura and her eight-year-old son David live a quiet life until she wakes up one night to find a group of strangers standing around David’s bed. Afterward, David becomes ill, and no one can figure out why. Laura makes the decision to leave town with her son, but what exactly are they fleeing? Son features Andi Matichak (Halloween 2018) and Emile Hirsch (The Autopsy of Jane Doe).

July 12:

Messiah of Evil –Arletty travels to a beach town to look for her missing artist father, but when she arrives at Point Dume, she finds his house abandoned. After she comes across his diary, a strange and ominous story starts to unfold.

Carnival of Souls – After Mary is involved in a car accident, she moves to another town, where she is strangely drawn to an abandoned carnival.

Piranha – Roger Corman produced this 1978 film, in which deadly genetically altered piranha are released in the waters at a summer resort. Sharp teeth and much bloodshed ensue.

Straight Edge Kegger – Set in the world of the hardcore punk scene, Straight Edge Kegger is about a young punk named Brad, who attends a party. All hell breaks loose when masked intruders show up, determined to kill everyone in sight.

July 13:

White Girl – Beth is a fifteen-year-old girl, lost on the streets of London. As she interacts with people in the city, dark truths are revealed.

Separation – After artist Jeff’s wife is killed in a violent accident, he and young daughter Jenny begin to see strange creatures that look like the subjects of Jeff’s paintings.

July 15:

The Call (Shudder Exclusive, also available on Shudder CA) – Edith Cranston (Lin Shaye) is a former schoolteacher who was suspected of killing one of her students. When a group of teens continuously prank and bully her, she commits suicide. The teens are summoned by Edith’s husband (Tobin Bell), who promises to pay them handsomely if they can remain on a phone line connected to Edith’s casket.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Field trip :blessed::mjlol:

The Conjuring: The Creepiest Items In The Warren's Occult Museum

6The Pearls Of Death
9B5193CB-BBF3-4FF4-885C-208C83EE610C.jpeg

The Pearls of Death have yet to appear in The Conjuring franchise, but they’re notoriously one of the most dangerous items in the Warrens’ museum.

The Pearls of Death is a cursed necklace that is said to strangle those who wear them, with their former owner complaining of being choked while wearing them. The pearls currently rest in the Warrens' shelves, where they'll hopefully stay for the foreseeable future.

5The Conjuring Mirror
8437D1D6-78FE-426E-9192-9B7D38C9E64C.jpeg

Despite being called the Conjuring Mirror, the artifact actually has nothing to do with The Conjuring movies. Instead, the mirror gets its name from the fact that it was used to summon, or conjure, spirits.

RELATED: 5 Ways The Conjuring Universe Is Scarier Than Insidious (& 5 Ways Insidious Is)

Tony Spera (the son-in-law of the Warrens) says that this form of wizardry is called ‘crystalmancy’ and there is a long history of mirrors being used as gateways for the dead to return to the world of the living.

——

I told y’all about mirrors in this thread before. Do not have any mirrors that reflect from your bed. Do not sleep near mirrors. Do not hang a whole lot of mirrors up around your house
200.gif

Last edited: