Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Have the into the dark series gotten better? Recent trailers look pretty good, especially this one. I remember watching a decent chunk when it started up and they were hit or miss. It'd be dope if hulu got these into a good flow of quality drops though since they've consistently dropped for what feels like years now.
Like @Jello Biafra this was definitely one of the better ones. The lead actress and her son enhanced the quality of the movie from their acting skills alone - they were very engaging. it was a simple storyline; nothing too new to add to the werewolf genre movies but they added a LOT of depth to the scenes. The lead actor Megalyn Echikunwoke, I would like to see her cast in more thrillers or movies like this. She has that straight to business aura - not the vibe that they usually show. There was a constant doom and depression like you knew something tragically bad would take place and follow wherever they run to but the way the flashbacks were done and her along with her son’s emotional process- made it genuinely suspense.

I wasn’t really following the Into the Dark series bc the movies that I saw weren’t holding my attention. I think Blum was trying to do too much and it was falling flat. But this season 2- it’s like he’s taking short stories (think of the YouTube indie horror shorts and expand on that concept), with a bigger budget and more seasoned actors. For this movie- i wasn’t expecting it to end so soon; they could have added another 20 mins and take a deeper dive into the plot (what happened to her husband, her son’s issues with his “change” and left out the parts where everybody was trying to date or sexually harassing her everywhere she went- on her job, in the store lol). This is one of the better ones for season 2 - I give it a 4/5. Kind of sad though and had a slight twist bc at first I thought she was the protagonists when in reality, she was being a protective parent. Psychological Horror movie with a compassionate side. That little boy is so adorable - especially that scene where he asked “why can’t I just be a kid, mom??”
:mjcry:
She was willing to sacrifice herself with her son even to her detriment - Relatable. By that point, it stopped being a horror movie to me - more of a melodrama thriller.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Have the into the dark series gotten better? Recent trailers look pretty good, especially this one. I remember watching a decent chunk when it started up and they were hit or miss. It'd be dope if hulu got these into a good flow of quality drops though since they've consistently dropped for what feels like years now.
I’m watching this Mare of Eastown - finished episode 1- I know The purpose is to introduce us to the characters’ background, but that rural deep Pennsylvania accent is taking me out.
:deadmanny::deadrose:
What happened to the teen mom was predictable - I could tell where that was leading to. I feel like this was done before though- i.e. Broadchurch, Happy Valley,The Killer, Mystic River; since I like crime drama thriller series- I’m vested enough to see where they go with this.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@storyteller Mare of Easttown also reminds me of that new series that premiered on Starz last year - Hightown. Really good. Instead of Pennsyltucky -the setting is in Rhode Island or Boston/New England ; one of those places where they have that distinct “cahhh pahhhked in the yahhhd”= car park yard accents.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

:deadrose:
Midsommar
Rob Zombie’s Halloween rendition
Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th (2000s remake versions)
giphy.gif

A movie that everyone loves but I don’t:
Psycho
Hereditary
Krampus

A movie which I thought was mediocre as the original but liked the sequel far better:
Dr. Sleep (Shining is the original)

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I’m watching this Mare of Eastown - finished episode 1- I know The purpose is to introduce us to the characters’ background, but that rural deep Pennsylvania accent is taking me out.
What happened to the teen mom was predictable - I could tell where that was leading to. I feel like this was done before though- i.e. Broadchurch, Happy Valley,The Killer, Mystic River; since I like crime drama thriller series- I’m vested enough to see where they go with this.
@storyteller Mare of Easttown also reminds me of that new series that premiered on Starz last year - Hightown. Really good. Instead of Pennsyltucky -the setting is in Rhode Island or Boston/New England ; one of those places where they have that distinct “cahhh pahhhked in the yahhhd”= car park yard accents.

Mare of Easttown isn't Pennsyltucky...that's more central to west PA.
Mare is set in a fictional town but its supposed to be Delaware County which isn't all that rural either. They shot in DelCo and the area they filmed in is like 20-30 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

I live near the area they filmed and they made shyt look a lot more rustic than it actually is.

That Delco accent is disgusting trash though.:scust:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

:deadrose:
Midsommar
Rob Zombie’s Halloween rendition
Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th (2000s remake versions)
giphy.gif

A movie that everyone loves but I don’t:
Psycho
Hereditary
Krampus

A movie which I thought was mediocre as the original but liked the sequel far better:
Dr. Sleep (Shining is the original)

While I had issues with some of it, I liked the Friday the 13th remake.
The Nightmare remake was absolute garbage though.

CourtesyFlush

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was trying to do a Spiral/Quiet Place/Conjuring triple feature next weekend but it looks like Spiral is leaving theaters the day before Conjuring gets there :martin:

Were you gonna pay for one then sneak into the others? I used to do that. Spend the whole day at the theatre and line up the showtimes back to back

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

It's DEF in that lane. It's one of those "small town drama" types where everyone knows each other but everyone keeps secrets from each other too. I love watching those unfold when they play out well.
[

This DEF looks similar in all the good ways. I'll have it queued up as my next binge.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Like @Jello Biafra this was definitely one of the better ones. The lead actress and her son enhanced the quality of the movie from their acting skills alone - they were very engaging. it was a simple storyline; nothing too new to add to the werewolf genre movies but they added a LOT of depth to the scenes. The lead actor Megalyn Echikunwoke, I would like to see her cast in more thrillers or movies like this. She has that straight to business aura - not the vibe that they usually show. There was a constant doom and depression like you knew something tragically bad would take place and follow wherever they run to but the way the flashbacks were done and her along with her son’s emotional process- made it genuinely suspense.

I wasn’t really following the Into the Dark series bc the movies that I saw weren’t holding my attention. I think Blum was trying to do too much and it was falling flat. But this season 2- it’s like he’s taking short stories (think of the YouTube indie horror shorts and expand on that concept), with a bigger budget and more seasoned actors. For this movie- i wasn’t expecting it to end so soon; they could have added another 20 mins and take a deeper dive into the plot (what happened to her husband, her son’s issues with his “change” and left out the parts where everybody was trying to date or sexually harassing her everywhere she went- on her job, in the store lol). This is one of the better ones for season 2 - I give it a 4/5. Kind of sad though and had a slight twist bc at first I thought she was the protagonists when in reality, she was being a protective parent. Psychological Horror movie with a compassionate side. That little boy is so adorable - especially that scene where he asked “why can’t I just be a kid, mom??”
:mjcry:
She was willing to sacrifice herself with her son even to her detriment - Relatable. By that point, it stopped being a horror movie to me - more of a melodrama thriller.

This sounds legit! I like when a creator can keep the formations straight forward and enhance the story with emotional depth like that. The trailer def gave me a bit of the "protecting your child at all costs" vibes which always get to me. I'm really happy to hear they're trying some new things with Into the Dark. I'm gonna check this one out and give a look at some of the recent trailers. I loved the concept when it dropped but the hit or miss nature definitely took me out for a bit. I wanted it to be Masters of Horror for the present gen but I don't think we'll ever see something like that series again...fingers crossed though.