Essential The Official Coli Gun Owners Thread

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
How is the stopping power?

I want an XD or Glock, AR I might check out later.

"Stopping"? Probably not. But serious long term injuries and possibly death, most definitely. From firsthand experience, I would go with an AR or AK over a handgun if it's your first firearm if you're just looking for something to have fun with at a range. Handguns aren't nearly as much fun to shoot and are fairly limited in their uses. Shotguns are much better for home defense and general SHTF use, with rifles being second, and pistols being last. To me pistols are sidearms, something that you use to get you to either your shotgun or rifle when you're not close them.

I really love shooting .22 also, it's cheap and teaches you much better habits than starting with a caliber that's too big. I've gone out to to check some weird noises in my backyard armed with my other .22 rifle and a .45 on my hip and didn't feel underprepared at all.

I have a Springfield XD45 Compact that I like but Glocks are just as nice imo. I would highly recommend going to to range that rents various types and find one that suits you best.

Soon

Banned
Daps
"Stopping"? Probably not. But serious long term injuries and possibly death, most definitely. From firsthand experience, I would go with an AR or AK over a handgun if it's your first firearm if you're just looking for something to have fun with at a range. Handguns aren't nearly as much fun to shoot and are fairly limited in their uses. Shotguns are much better for home defense and general SHTF use, with rifles being second, and pistols being last. To me pistols are sidearms, something that you use to get you to either your shotgun or rifle when you're not close them.

I really love shooting .22 also, it's cheap and teaches you much better habits than starting with a caliber that's too big. I've gone out to to check some weird noises in my backyard armed with my other .22 rifle and a .45 on my hip and didn't feel underprepared at all.

I have a Springfield XD45 Compact that I like but Glocks are just as nice imo. I would highly recommend going to to range that rents various types and find one that suits you best.

How many rounds from the .22 rifle will stop someone?

223 and 5.56 are also .22 caliber (.224 in), they just has more powder so more velocity. So in the end they are all .22 caliber.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
How many rounds from the .22 rifle will stop someone?

223 and 5.56 are also .22 caliber (.224 in), they just has more powder so more velocity. So in the end they are all .22 caliber.

No idea? It depends on how intent the person is on doing you harm. 223/556 is designed to penetrate deeper and to tumble and yaw once it enters. 22 doesn't have enough kick to do either of those things. If somebody is wearing thick enough clothing, even that might be enough to stop the .22 from entering them.

Ken Mercilus

Black Bouncer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jackson, Mississippi
I NEED these.:noah:

Sig 229 Stainless Elite
33xbmuo.jpg

Ruger 454 Alaskan
v5zuxt.jpg

OC's finest

All Star
Daps
If somebody is wearing thick enough clothing, even that might be enough to stop the .22 from entering them.

I'm not a gun expert but this don't sound right haha

Nice ar btw. Do they have any short barrel builds for the AR? Feel like u can get a real compact rifle but narrowing the barrelbarrel

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I'm not a gun expert but this don't sound right haha

Nice ar btw. Do they have any short barrel builds for the AR? Feel like u can get a real compact rifle but narrowing the barrelbarrel

.22 will go through clothing but if it hits denim or enough layers of any other material, it will slow down the bullet considerably. It might break the skin and enter, but I don't think I would consider it deep enough to call it true penetration.

Short Barrel Rifles are called SBR's. I have one chambered in 300 Blackout which is a 30-06 optimized for 8.5" barrels. On a regular .223 AR you don't want really want to go shorter than 11"s due to the fact that proper ballistics for self defense drop considerably once you go any shorter, though LOTS of people do. I personally wouldn't but I don't knock anybody that does. I wouldn't want to get shot with one either way lol

In California SBR's are illegal, so we have what are called AR Pistols. It's basically a short barrel rifle but without a shoulder pad.
20151014_194158_zpsfyjorbir.jpg

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Is anybody else into watching Hicock45's youtube channel? He's the only gun vlogger that I can watch.

I'm not really that impressed with a .454 because you really only want to own one if you are out and about in the woods where there are grizzly bears. For self-defense, you want a smaller caliber where the recoil isn't going to be total nutsville. You want to get your sights on target if you missed or have multiple attackers.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I'm not really that impressed with a .454 because you really only want to own one if you are out and about in the woods where there are grizzly bears. For self-defense, you want a smaller caliber where the recoil isn't going to be total nutsville. You want to get your sights on target if you missed or have multiple attackers.

Yeah, I wouldn't get it for self defense either. For bears, I'd want some mase and for people any of the standard 3 pistol calibers would be sufficient. For shyts and giggle I wouldn't mind having a 454 for blowing up shyt in the boonies though.

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
brehs . . . I just made a pretty big purchase :dame:

my first purchase was the first gun that I wanted . . I noticed one of you have it to . . the LCR 357

Then . . I got a Hi-Point . . why? because me and the Hi-Point company have something in common

. . but today brehs, I did something that I didn't think I was going to do . . I bought my dream gun

Not only is it rare to find, and seldom available . . but it's also about 3 times the price of my LCR . . I got a great deal on it and I couldn't resist, part of me said . . "not only is it rarely available, but someday it might not be available . . if that's the case I'll never get it at this price" . . so I made the purchase :yeshrug:

However in California there's a 10 day waiting period to pick-up then you can't get another for 30 days. I do plan to make a very tiny purchase after that . . I just have a thing for Saturday Night Specials:troll:

I have a feeling this new purchase will be a safe queen for now, eventually I plan to get into competitive shooting once I retire and this gun in the safe will remind me to keep my eyes on my goals

. . but in 30 days I want to get a mouse gun/Saturday Night Special . . preferably a Raven but perhaps a Phoenix Arms in 22LR just to have some fun at the range . . I would could shoot all day to the cows come home