Essential The Official Coli Gun Owners Thread

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
@tahoj4
What gun would you recommend as an entry level barebones non expensive pistol?

As a starter pistol I would say the Ruger SR9 or a S&W SD9 both full size. Those would be the first 2 I would recommend. Handled both and they both felt ok but I wanted a bit more out of my purchase.
If you have more money I would then say a S&W MP9 full size or a Springfield XD full size. I am more partial to the M&P. The XD feels very top heavy to me. You want to spend more a da/sa sig 226. That gun is one of the best that I have ever shot but it is very expensive.

I would look at a glock 19 or 17 if you have someone that can train you in the use of the gun from the start. Glocks are not forgiving for a new shooter. I had a few stovepipes due to limp wristing the gun but I will not knock them. They are easy to breakdown and have a fantastic after market. If you are a glock guy I can understand but in my opinion there are better guns out of the box for the same or a little more money.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
Also for a beginner I would only recommend a full size gun. Learning how to properly how the pistol is crucial. Compacts are generally people that are more advanced shoots. It is crazy the amount of compact pistols sold and people have little to no training with them.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As a starter pistol I would say the Ruger SR9 or a S&W SD9 both full size. Those would be the first 2 I would recommend. Handled both and they both felt ok but I wanted a bit more out of my purchase.
If you have more money I would then say a S&W MP9 full size or a Springfield XD full size. I am more partial to the M&P. The XD feels very top heavy to me. You want to spend more a da/sa sig 226. That gun is one of the best that I have ever shot but it is very expensive.

I would look at a glock 19 or 17 if you have someone that can train you in the use of the gun from the start. Glocks are not forgiving for a new shooter. I had a few stovepipes due to limp wristing the gun but I will not knock them. They are easy to breakdown and have a fantastic after market. If you are a glock guy I can understand but in my opinion there are better guns out of the box for the same or a little more money.
I'm not a glock guy at all. But for the reasons I've listed above I would define them as a standard entry level gun.

A lot of gun ignorant people call any type of pistol a glock.

I've not heard or witnessed people stovepiping glocks. Not saying it's not possible but that's not their reputation. As far as their production runs right off the line they are generally fine vs a Taurus which is known for piss poor firearms right off the production line.

There are poor quality gun manfuactuers out there , Taurus, Jimenez, basilla, Jennings, hi-point.... Then you get into good to excellent. These are guns that generally have a lower price range and offer good quality, and reliability but you're going to trade something bad for something good. I.e no interchangeable iron sights, or accessory rail, bad grips, etc (Walther) but great good trigger and vice versa.

As far as glocks I don't believe there is a "perfect" glock. For the money you would spend upgrading a glock to "perfection" you can buy a great gun right out of the box.

It's going to come out of the box pretty decent and from there if you want to customize it, i.e add new trigger, back plate, barrels, and add components it's too easy to do so. Glocks are known to be cheap to accessorize. At least they were about 15 years ago.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
I'm not a glock guy at all. But for the reasons I've listed above I would define them as a standard entry level gun.

A lot of gun ignorant people call any type of pistol a glock.

I've not heard or witnessed people stovepiping glocks. Not saying it's not possible but that's not their reputation. As far as their production runs right off the line they are generally fine vs a Taurus which is known for piss poor firearms right off the production line.

There are poor quality gun manfuactuers out there , Taurus, Jimenez, basilla, Jennings, hi-point.... Then you get into good to excellent. These are guns that generally have a lower price range and offer good quality, and reliability but you're going to trade something bad for something good. I.e no interchangeable iron sights, or accessory rail, bad grips, etc (Walther) but great good trigger and vice versa.

As far as glocks I don't believe there is a "perfect" glock. For the money you would spend upgrading a glock to "perfection" you can buy a great gun right out of the box.

It's going to come out of the box pretty decent and from there if you want to customize it, i.e add new trigger, back plate, barrels, and add components it's too easy to do so. Glocks are known to be cheap to accessorize. At least they were about 15 years ago.

I completely understand what you are saying. There are semi reliable guns at lower price points but I know I would not want to bet my life on a semi reliable gun. With all of the mass shootings guns are thrust back in the spot light so more people are looking to buy. Gun prices were down significantly down before the vegas shooting and are up now with the texas shooting. If a person is in the market for a reliable handgun buy from a reliable manufacture with a reliable track record for that firearm. I am just waiting for guns to get cheap again so that I can get a mossberg 930 and a sig 226 on the cheap.

Also in regards to limp wristing: It is not something that an experienced shooter would run into. That is why I was saying if you are buying and then going to a class a glock is a good choice. I have never had this issue with my VP9 even when I first started shooting it and it is a polymer framed gun.

3rd Koast Kang

Superstar
Daps
Most of us recommend Glock 17/19 as a beginner gun but I'm sure others will chime in on other suggestions.

Glock 19 seems to be the most recommended gun amongst fam/friends when I ask where to start.
Hey if you in the H what side of town?

If you near the west side I have a good gun shop to recommend for you.

Yeah im in the H I stay of westheimer

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
What kind of practical use would having an assault rifle do though? Seems too flashy.
I have an AR and I'll admit there's no practical use for me.

I just practice with it just as another skill , and have one just "In Case" whatever that means.
It wouldn't be the first thing I'd grab honestly.

I'm not John Wick, I couldn't' get busy in close quarters with it. Let me catch you slipping at 25 - 50 yards I can shoot 1 inch groups standing.

Last edited:

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
Glock 19 seems to be the most recommended gun amongst fam/friends when I ask where to start.

I am not saying that the glock 19 is not a good gun. :hubie: It is!! I am saying if you are just starting to shoot guns make sure you have a good grip on it or someone to show you a proper grip for the pistol. Also with you being in Texas you can pick stuff up from Primary Arms. They are in Pearland. Good site to buy stuff from. Also you can run 33 round mags down there. We are limited to 15 in Colorado.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I completely understand what you are saying. There are semi reliable guns at lower price points but I know I would not want to bet my life on a semi reliable gun. With all of the mass shootings guns are thrust back in the spot light so more people are looking to buy. Gun prices were down significantly down before the vegas shooting and are up now with the texas shooting. If a person is in the market for a reliable handgun buy from a reliable manufacture with a reliable track record for that firearm. I am just waiting for guns to get cheap again so that I can get a mossberg 930 and a sig 226 on the cheap.

Also in regards to limp wristing: It is not something that an experienced shooter would run into. That is why I was saying if you are buying and then going to a class a glock is a good choice. I have never had this issue with my VP9 even when I first started shooting it and it is a polymer framed gun.

Thats not a glock issue. Thats just an inexperienced holding issue. Thats not the equipment that's user error.

People often confuse user error with equipment issues which is another reason accessories sell so well. Havent shot 500 rds through your brand new gun? Buy this trigger it already feels broken it ;) much better than your original one right?

People always buy different sights, and triggers thinking it'll help them shoot better when it's usually user error like too much or too little finger on the trigger, inexperienced holding issues (support hand not being utilized properly).

Gun sales always go up after any mass shooting, that's not new.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
Thats not a glock issue. Thats just an inexperienced holding issue. Thats not the equipment that's user error.

People often confuse user error with equipment issues which is another reason accessories sell so well. Havent shot 500 rds through your brand new gun? Buy this trigger it already feels broken it ;) much better than your original one right?

People always buy different sights, and triggers thinking it'll help them shoot better when it's usually user error like too much or too little finger on the trigger, inexperienced holding issues (support hand not being utilized properly).

Gun sales always go up after any mass shooting, that's not new.

You are right. It's one of the reasons I want to shoot another glock. I just like to give as much information as I can because if he goes to the range as a newbie and has an issue he may blame the equipment. Better to have someone there to teach you properly. I need prices to go back down. I want to add a shotgun to my collection.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
Are sales up right now?

Prices are up a small amount. The sales were all over before the Vegas shooting now not so much. I pickup my Aero Precision complete lower for $114 with no issues. Those sales are over. Now they are back to the 160 - 180 range.

Mac Brown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-town

ok cool....its kinda far, but go to fountain firearms....its way on hwy 6 @ bissonet area. The owner there is real knowlegable, since you would be a first time buyer. They also have good deals on used firearms...(barely used)

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You are right. It's one of the reasons I want to shoot another glock. I just like to give as much information as I can because if he goes to the range as a newbie and has an issue he may blame the equipment. Better to have someone there to teach you properly. I need prices to go back down. I want to add a shotgun to my collection.
Are you in a state where walmarts sell shotguns? I almost bought a mossy on a whim but I have an 870. The walmart price points are damn good considering the same gun at cabelas is about $50 more before tax. I happen to be in an area where cabelas is right next to the one of the few areas near the city that sells firearms.

Last Monday or Tuesday I took my 870 hunting.

:banderas: my boy has a highly rated benelli shotgun that's supposed to be even better. We'll see. I was dropping dimes. I made a tripod for my HD cam but the recoil blew the camera off.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Here's a rifle kill from a couple days before my shotgun kill