Essential The Official Coli Gun Owners Thread

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house

I'd tag everyone but fukk it.

You can watch the video of me reviewing the product or just read this post.

Long story short for 80 - 90 dollars I picked up this product that let's me shoot in my house.

You get the sled which is the plastic tray that holds your phone and it also holds a paper Target. And you get a laser bullet which comes in different calibers. When you dry fire your gun, the firing pin will hit the rubber backing on the laser and shoot the laser light at the paper Target. You use a free app which detects the laser and gives you a digital score. You can set it up and shoot at any distance. For me if I want to shoot at 2 am or don't want to go to the range or spend the extra dough, this is going to save me more than $200 a year.

Watch the video (of me) and ask me if you have any questions.

To be honest since this app and others like it are free and targets are basically a free printout or you could use a store bought Target, you can find a way to prop your phone up facing a target and as long as you have a laser bullet which you can get for roughly $40 on ebay in different calibers you can basically shoot safely in your house for a one time fee of $40. But for about double that you can get a phone Holder and Target holder plus one laser bullet in the caliber of your choice.

Thanks for the review. I wanted to ask how study is the frame that holds everything together and if you had any issues with the laser/bullet and your firearm? If this is something that will last for a long time I may look into purchasing the product.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for the review. I wanted to ask how study is the frame that holds everything together and if you had any issues with the laser/bullet and your firearm? If this is something that will last for a long time I may look into purchasing the product.

The frame is very sturdy. It doesn't wobble or twist or anything. It's very well put together in the video its holding a galaxy note. I don't know how big that phone is in comparison to other phone but it holds it fine.

The laser bullet hasn't caused any problems with my firearm. It's the same shape and size as a real bullet but instead of striking a primer, it strikes the rubber backing which is covering the button that turns the laser on and off. So it's not going to damage the firing pin, nor will it damage the gun at all.

The laser blinks for not even half a second from the firing pin striking it, so the box says the batteries should last roughly 3000 shots. And the laser training bullet it comes with has a second set of batteries.

I'll be honest. You could print off a target and tape it to a wall and if you had a tripod (for a camera) with an phone mount or propped your phone up to view the target within the free app the only thing you would need is a laser training bullet which you can get online or ebay starting at $40. But not having to worry about propping up your phone or taping a target is nice and for a one time fee of $40 from a person who likes to do things themselves (especially if it means saving dough) it's worth having the sled / tray that it comes with.

I was shooting at 3 am in the living room and my glock makes too much noise. (Woke up my lady). But that's OK, I just moved to the basement.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
The frame is very sturdy. It doesn't wobble or twist or anything. It's very well put together in the video its holding a galaxy note. I don't know how big that phone is in comparison to other phone but it holds it fine.

The laser bullet hasn't caused any problems with my firearm. It's the same shape and size as a real bullet but instead of striking a primer, it strikes the rubber backing which is covering the button that turns the laser on and off. So it's not going to damage the firing pin, nor will it damage the gun at all.

The laser blinks for not even half a second from the firing pin striking it, so the box says the batteries should last roughly 3000 shots. And the laser training bullet it comes with has a second set of batteries.

I'll be honest. You could print off a target and tape it to a wall and if you had a tripod (for a camera) with an phone mount or propped your phone up to view the target within the free app the only thing you would need is a laser training bullet which you can get online or ebay starting at $40. But not having to worry about propping up your phone or taping a target is nice and for a one time fee of $40 from a person who likes to do things themselves (especially if it means saving dough) it's worth having the sled / tray that it comes with.

I was shooting at 3 am in the living room and my glock makes too much noise. (Woke up my lady). But that's OK, I just moved to the basement.

Thanks for the info I will look into it. I usually do my dry fire practice in the basement. Training with something like this should help me with my trigger pull issues. My longer shots are usually low left.

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
I'm thinking bout getting this sexy ass Smith & Wesson 1911. But it cost $1,600:huhldup:
170343_01_lg_1.jpg
The stainless steel 1911s are the best

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@tahoj4

I'm selling the .40 laser training bullet I have for $30. I bought it for $40

I have a 9mm one which is in my glock. The m&p is designed to working with a loaded mag. With the glock I can rack the slide and pull the trigger over and over again. The m&p is different, once you load a magazine in it rather than use the slide release you pull back on the slide and shoot from there. There are slide releases (they are really slide locks) on both sides of the gun but they aren't for general purpose use, thus they are very stiff which is a lot of people's complaint about the m&p is they think the slide locks are slide releases.

I could file down the slide locks but then I'm fukking with the gun in a way that I really dont want to.

I'll just continue to shoot the 9 but if anyone has a .40 that isn't an m&p this would work.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
Sorry to hear that it does not work with your .40. I currently only have my 9mm. Still thinking about picking up the laser bullet. The range I go to is pricey and while 9mm is cheap to shoot is is not as cheap as .22.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sorry to hear that it does not work with your .40. I currently only have my 9mm. Still thinking about picking up the laser bullet. The range I go to is pricey and while 9mm is cheap to shoot is is not as cheap as .22.

It works. I've shot 300 times with it in my. 40 but I was releasing the slide lock which is not necessarily how it was designed. It won't break the gun or cause it to jam up in a critical situation but there's something ethically wrong about not using it correctly.

I can buy an original slide lock replacement for $18 and file the edge off and then it'll work just like the glock. I still don't like the thought of having a modified component on the gun, this "trick" isn't like modifying sights or the trigger...im just indifferent about the whole thing. If I can get rid of the .40 caliber training bullet I will.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
It works. I've shot 300 times with it in my. 40 but I was releasing the slide lock which is not necessarily how it was designed. It won't break the gun or cause it to jam up in a critical situation but there's something ethically wrong about not using it correctly.

I can buy an original slide lock replacement for $18 and file the edge off and then it'll work just like the glock. I still don't like the thought of having a modified component on the gun, this "trick" isn't like modifying sights or the trigger...im just indifferent about the whole thing. If I can get rid of the .40 caliber training bullet I will.

You are right about not wanting to modify the weapon. Especially if you want to sell it in the future. Using the 9mm for practice will help with shooting the .40 anyway. Good luck on the sale.

Mac Brown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-town
I want to get a new trigger on my s&w bodyguard 380. The trigger pull is too long for my liking.

Any suggestions?

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Waiting 2hrs to go sight in my rifles at the range. Hunting season starts next Tuesday! I took those days off in January. I plan to get a bunch of squirrels on a two day venture.

Now my boy/hunting partner waited until all this time to start struggling with his depression. He started a new ssri last month and has basically been confined to his bed except for work. :martin:

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
‘It seems cool to be racist now’: The rising profile of the black gun owner

‘It seems cool to be racist now’: The rising profile of the black gun owner
By Wesley Lowery

July 27, 2017 at 3:03 PM

imrs.php

Mark Warner has worked at Blue Ridge Arsenal, a black-owned gun store in Chantilly, Va., for 18 years. (Marvin Joseph/The Washington Post)
About US is a new initiative by The Washington Post to cover issues of identity in the United States. Look for the About US newsletter launching this fall.

Mark Warner was hovering over the counter of handguns, about midway through the morning shift at Blue Ridge Arsenal, the black-owned gun store in Fairfax County where he’s worked for the past 18 years, when he spotted me.

“I heard you want to talk about black people buying guns,” Warner, himself black, declared in the matter of fact, teasing tone that has endeared him to the store’s regulars. “So what do you want to know?”

“Let’s say that I wanted to buy a gun,” I asked as I cautiously approached, prompting a smirk from Warner. “What do I need to know?”

For the next hour, Warner fielded my often-elementary questions between interactions with the regulars, whom he called by name and who arrived in a steady stream of twos and threes to rent a shooting lane or troubleshoot a jam in their favorite handgun. It was a busy day in the gun shop, but it was nothing like what could have been.

Gun sellers have long known that sales spike during election years, driven primarily by an influx of purchases by white conservatives who fear a coming crack-down on availability. This was especially pronounced after President Barack Obama’s election in 2008. It happened again in 2013 after Obama was reelected, and the shooting massacre at Sandy Hook birthed a new fervency within the gun control movement. The election of President Trump, an NRA-friendly Republican, has prompted no such fire-sale among white Americans — instead, gun sellers nationwide have noted significant upticks in sales to black Americans.

Related: Why so many transgender Americans find refuge in military service

“We’ve seen a small change in who our customers are,” Warner explained to me. “More women and more people of color — black, brown. The people coming in are darker shades than usual.”

A Pew Research Center poll released earlier this summer found that while nearly half of white Americans live in a household with a gun (49 percent), that falls to 32 percent among black Americans. But gun sellers are now wondering to what extent the recent interest from black buyers will close that gap. At Blue Ridge, the sales staff has fielded calls from across the country from buyers looking specifically to buy from a black-owned gun store. The National African American Gun Association, founded in 2015 with about 300 people, has grown to 34 chapters nationwide and now boasts more than 20,000 members.

imrs.php

“There’s this feeling, this fear in today’s society, for people of color especially, that the person sitting over there in the corner might be about to attack you,” said Philip Smith, who founded NAAGA in 2015 after he, in his 50s, began shooting recreationally. “I’m not going to say it’s all Trump, but there is something going on where people feel comfortable openly doing and saying things that — five, six, seven years ago — they might not.”

“It seems cool to be a racist now,” he added.

For many black Americans, the headlines of recent months and years — nine black church-goers gunned down during a Bible study in Charleston, two men killed in Portland after attempting to stop a white supremacist from harassing two women of color, a black University of Maryland student stabbed to death days before his graduation — have brought an ever-present fear even further to forefront of their thoughts.

Related: An identity crisis for identity politics

As someone at times tasked with writing about those very incidents, my fear has been compounded by the vocal hatred of the media among parts of the political right. Recent months have brought a new intensity of vitriol and on several occasions violent threats to my inbox and voice mail. Still, I was taken aback when, after one recent threat, a security consultant asked whether I carry a weapon. “Nope,” I answered, before pausing, for the first time in my life, to consider if perhaps that answer should be different.

imrs.php

Growing up, guns were a thing to be feared. They intersected with my life only as characters in narratives of pain: the reason the boy from gym class was in the hospital, the thing that stole the life of a friend’s cousin or father. My life has known no fear greater than in the handful of times my eyes have found the opening of a gun’s barrel.

It’s a fear that is present for many black Americans. That same Pew poll found that 49 percent of us see gun violence as a “very big” problem in our local communities, compared with 29 percent of Hispanics and a fraction of as many whites — 11 percent. While 20 percent of whites and 24 percent of Hispanics say they — or someone in their family — have been personally threatened with a gun, that number jumps to 32 percent for black Americans. And while 43 percent of whites and 42 percent of Hispanics say they know someone who’s been shot, it’s 57 percent among black Americans.

imrs.php

It was a similar fear that in 2015 prompted Stephen Yorkman to launch the Robert F. Williams Gun Club in Prince George’s County, Md., which is named for a civil rights activist who advocated armed self-defense and now has about 150 members.

“For me, it started with the shooting of Tamir Rice,” Yorkman, 48, explained, referencing the 12-year-old Cleveland boy shot by police while playing with a toy gun at the playground of a public park. “We need to create a different, better perception of black people with guns so that in an open-carry state the image of a black person with a gun doesn’t so alarm a police officer. And we need to make it so it’s no longer a sin in the black community to be a gun owner, but that it’s more accepted.”

Related: In Mississippi, aging Muslim community worries about its future

This new crop of black gun clubs aims to educate members on the history of black gun ownership and the centuries of attempts to suppress it and to host pragmatic conversations about the way their members will be perceived, and the dangers they will assume, as black people who chose to be armed — services often abdicated by the leaders of mainstream gun culture.

Owning a gun is not for everyone, the black gun owners explain, but how can the narrative around black men and guns be changed unless more of us give legal gun ownership a try? For me, though, it only took one try to remember what I already knew: My fear of what someone else might do to harm me is far outweighed by my fear of the responsibility that comes with owning a gun. The power to take a life is not one I’m comfortable holding in my shaking hands.

But their argument was compelling enough that, on that morning earlier this summer when I found myself at Blue Ridge — about an hour into our conversation — Warner was handing me “eyes and ears” (protective glasses and ear covers) and leading me into firing range number 2.

My hands wrapped tight around a sleek Ruger SR22, I readied my stance, nervously aimed at the target hoisted about 21 feet down the firing lane and pulled the trigger.