Essential The Official Coli Gun Owners Thread

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
For now I got a glock 17. with 3 30 round clips and a laser. Will upload pics later

Next up I wanna get either a glock 40. Or .45....still contemplating which one

Eventually I wanna get an AR 15. Whats the difference between all thr Ar brands? Colt,M&P etc is one better quality than the other or is it just the BRAND name?

Rekorb

Banned
Daps
A shotgun would be better for home defense. Especially if you live in a crowded area or if there are a lot of people in your home. Rifle rounds and even high power slugs from a hand gun will tear through drywall and can cause damage out side of your home. Don't want to hit your neighbor when your are trying to protect your home.

Its about stopping power.

A shot gun would even stop a bear dead in his tracks.

A semi-automatic will not cause an instant kill with a bear, you might as well have a bat.

This is why in bear country people would carry a .44, shotgun or rifle and not a 9 mm.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
Its about stopping power.

A shot gun would even stop a bear dead in his tracks.

A semi-automatic will not cause an instant kill, you might as well have a bat.

This is why in bear country people have a .44 as a minimum.

Not sure if buck shot would stop a bear, but I think a .44 mag would so I will agree with you there. A shotgun for home defense is a good option because it is a short range high damage weapon. You will also not have to deal with over penetration when shots are missed in a home. When I was doing research on this everyone said get a shotgun, but if you are not used to shooting one it is a shock to the system ie my wife shooting the gun. It is also a lot harder to get proficient with 00 buck shot out a 12 gauge. The kick takes a lot to get used to. Easier to get good shooting a striker fired pistol using cheap ball ammo. You can mix in hotter hollow point loads to practice with your home defense rounds as well. To each his own! I saw buy what ever and get good at it, but there are reasons that 9mm and 12 gauge shotguns are popular.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
For now I got a glock 17. with 3 30 round clips and a laser. Will upload pics later

Eventually I wanna get an AR 15. Whats the difference between all thr Ar brands? Colt,M&P etc is one better quality than the other or is it just the BRAND name?

AR usually see the difference in manufacturing quality, fitment, and what is used on internals.
Colt is going out of business, so I don't know about them anymore.
Daniels Defense, Larue,, LWMT, and other top end brands will usually ahve more testing and quality control behind them than say a regular Ruger, or no name, but doesn't neccessarily make them better, read reviews and testing videos for rifles and you should get a good view of solid manufacturers.

A shotgun would be better for home defense. Especially if you live in a crowded area or if there are a lot of people in your home. Rifle rounds and even high power slugs from a hand gun will tear through drywall and can cause damage out side of your home. Don't want to hit your neighbor when your are trying to protect your home.
Depends on the round, you have a 308 thats a reliable hunting round and man stopper. Slugs are the best but like you said overpenetration concern there.
You live in a crowded area, if you don't have steel core 556 you might have less dry wall penetration with the 556 than with a 9mm.
Lots of variables, and thinking about the variables and the situation and course of action before hand is always better than just reacting blind.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Not sure if buck shot would stop a bear, but I think a .44 mag would so I will agree with you there. A shotgun for home defense is a good option because it is a short range high damage weapon. You will also not have to deal with over penetration when shots are missed in a home. When I was doing research on this everyone said get a shotgun, but if you are not used to shooting one it is a shock to the system ie my wife shooting the gun. It is also a lot harder to get proficient with 00 buck shot out a 12 gauge. The kick takes a lot to get used to. Easier to get good shooting a striker fired pistol using cheap ball ammo. You can mix in hotter hollow point loads to practice with your home defense rounds as well. To each his own! I saw buy what ever and get good at it, but there are reasons that 9mm and 12 gauge shotguns are popular.
From what I've read Buck#4 and up to 00 are pretty reliable man stoppers, you go lower than BUck and get into the birdshot territory and you are taking a dip on effectiveness.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
AR usually see the difference in manufacturing quality, fitment, and what is used on internals.
Colt is going out of business, so I don't know about them anymore.
Daniels Defense, Larue,, LWMT, and other top end brands will usually ahve more testing and quality control behind them than say a regular Ruger, or no name, but doesn't neccessarily make them better, read reviews and testing videos for rifles and you should get a good view of solid manufacturers.

Depends on the round, you have a 308 thats a reliable hunting round and man stopper. Slugs are the best but like you said overpenetration concern there.
You live in a crowded area, if you don't have steel core 556 you might have less dry wall penetration with the 556 than with a 9mm.
Lots of variables, and thinking about the variables and the situation and course of action before hand is always better than just reacting blind.

I can say that the Ruger 556 AR is a good buy. My friend has one and I have had the opportunity to shoot it. It ran all the .223 ammo we threw at it including aluminum cased ammo. My only concern with it was how hot it ran after about 90 rounds. That could be an issue if you like to go out and shoot a lot of round quickly.

Hmm I was not aware that non steel core 556 would get less penetration than 9mm. That is good to know. I live in a very crowded suburb and over penetration is a high concern of mine. I also would like to purchase an AR. I completely agree with you in weighing all of the variables in your situation when deciding on what firearm you will purchase to protect your family.

tahoj4

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
The house
From what I've read Buck#4 and up to 00 are pretty reliable man stoppers, you go lower than BUck and get into the birdshot territory and you are taking a dip on effectiveness.

Man I do not want to go out and shoot a bunch of buck 4 and 00 to get proficient with a shotgun. Your shoulder will hate you and the end of the day. For the guys who own shotguns how much do you shoot them and how did you get used to the recoil of the gun? Would like to have one but I don't think I would shoot it much.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Man I do not want to go out and shoot a bunch of buck 4 and 00 to get proficient with a shotgun. Your shoulder will hate you and the end of the day. For the guys who own shotguns how much do you shoot them and how did you get used to the recoil of the gun? Would like to have one but I don't think I would shoot it much.

For me I started shooting about once a week for around 5 - 6 weeks, probably around 20 shots. buck #4 is very manageable. I had no problem handling the recoil with it, I don't shoot much 00buck but I never had problem handling it either after 4 rounds, but it definitely has a tiring factor for me.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Shooting my shotgun is my favorite part about going to the range indoor or going outdoor shooting. I really don't get bored of it.

I get bored of shooting my rifles at about 30rds. and my handguns right around 40 rds (10rd mags)

I bought the wrong slugs once, 3inch motherfukkers they let out a wild kick... me and my boys werent expecting it. It didn't hurt it just took a couple of rds to get a hold of it and shoot it well. My shoulder was bruised but it didnt hurt.

IdealMan

Banned
Daps

The S&W M&P Sport 2 is a pretty good base AR at a very affordable price point. Why do you have 30's though? They're not practical outside of a rap video or the range.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps

Fit and finish will be a little nicer depending on the brand. As long as you buy from a reputable manufacturer, they're all about the same from a reliability standpoint once theyre broken in. Palmetto's rifles about as low as i'd go on the totem though personally.

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
Fit and finish will be a little nicer depending on the brand. As long as you buy from a reputable manufacturer, they're all about the same from a reliability standpoint once theyre broken in. Palmetto's rifles about as low as i'd go on the totem though personally.

What do u think about Anderson Ar 15s? Someone recommended that to me

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
What do u think about Anderson Ar 15s? Someone recommended that to me

They're fine, nothing special, but that's not really a bad thing necessarily. I actually built my ar47 and carbon fiber .22 on anderson lowers.

Putting your money towards ammo and range time will increase your skills way more than spending it on a fancy rifle ever would.