The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
:beli:

c'mon breh. Unless your one of the dozen out of state canadian cacs stanning the lakers, then its no different then L.A. in terms of violence

LOL. Believe me, I'm not afraid of urban areas. I grew up in the inner city, but that's the type of drama I'm just not trying to deal with anymore. Obviously, you don't get bothered if you're not involved for the most part. I was just wondering if it had gotten rampant throughout the city. With that said, I'm not from LA (been there of course). I'm from the East Coast, but even my hometown has these issues. I guess I'm just tired of hearing about the bad news. I was in NYC and it's a lot safer than it used to be. A lot less crime from what I remember.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Obama lived in Hyde Park. Northside on its worst day is still safer than majority of the South Side. Only safe places out south is Beverly and Hyde Park. The rest is :shaq2:

:aicmon:

plenty of safe spots on the south side. I have rode my bike throughout most of the southside excluding the 100s cuz I never stayed out there.

but u got:

hyde park
beverly
kenwood

its nice over by 71st and south shore by the country club, also mt greenwood is nice if ur not black. low end is cool too like 35th and king drive and what not. bridgeport is clean as well. avalon park is nice as well. area by 91st and stoney is also clean.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Positive stuff
After 16 years in prison, man cleared in '94 Waukegan slaying - chicagotribune.com

After spending 16 years in prison for a murder that authorities now say he did not commit, James Edwards today was cleared of the 1994 killing of a Waukegan appliance store owner.

At a hearing in Lake County Circuit Court this morning, Assistant State’s Attorney Jeffrey Pavletic filed a motion supporting a request from Edwards’ lawyer for a new trial. The prosecutor then filed a motion dropping the murder charges.

The move comes two weeks after prosecutors cited “forensic findings” in announcing new murder charges in the case against 42-year-old Hezekiah Whitfield of Chicago.

Edwards, 63, will not go free immediately, however, because he has yet to serve or successfully fight sentences for an armed robbery in Illinois and a murder in Ohio. He has waged his fight to clear himself of Reckling’s murder from Menard Correctional Center downstate.

“(Edwards) has been extremely frustrated, but he is also very happy that he is finally vindicated,” said his attorney, Paul De Luca.

The Reckling murder was one of several cases in which Lake County prosecutors continued to insist upon a suspect’s guilt even after forensic evidence appeared to indicate his innocence. Edwards’ case is the fourth to crumble beneath the weight of DNA evidence in the last two years.

In three of those cases, the suspect had confessed to the crime.

Edwards confessed to the 1994 bludgeoning murder of Fred Reckling, 71, after being arrested on an unrelated armed robbery charge in 1996. Lake County State’s Attorney Michael Waller personally helped prosecute him.

Prosecutors knew at trial that blood at the scene – Reckling’s store, Grand Appliance and TV in Waukegan – matched neither the victim nor the defendant, but they told jurors that didn’t clear Edwards because the blood could have come from an appliance store employee with a minor wound.

Edwards was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

Often working as his own attorney, Edwards tried for years to compel DNA testing on the blood over prosecutors’ resistance. In 2010, the Illinois Supreme Court ordered the testing.

“This thing should have been over a long time ago,” De Luca said.

The new defendant, Whitfield, was arrested two weeks ago and a judge ordered him held on $3 million bail.

Two months after Reckling’s murder, Whitfield was arrested in connection with multiple armed robberies on the North Shore. He was in prison until he was paroled in July 2009.

Though Edwards has been exonerated of Reckling’s murder, he has yet to serve a 60-year sentence in the 1996 armed robbery case.

Today, Judge John Phillips approved a motion to apply the time Edwards spent in jail for murder to the armed robbery sentence. De Luca said he hopes to further shorten the armed robbery term by seeking a new sentencing hearing. The lawyer said the murder cases factored into the length of the armed robbery sentence.

Edwards has been sentenced to life in prison in Ohio in the shooting death of woman outside Cleveland in 1974. He admitted to that crime during the same interrogation session that yielded his apparently false confession in the Reckling case. Edwards says police coerced the confessions during an interrogation that stretched across 25 hours.

Plans are in the works to seek a new trial in the Ohio case, De Luca has said.

“This is a false confession,” the lawyer said.

Dan Hinkel is a Tribune reporter; Ruth Fuller is a freelance writer.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
90% of the violence is happening on the south side of chicago which is populated by blacks and mexicans. Uptown, the loop, downtown area, north-west side, and certain parts of the west side(before western) are the most safest parts to live..

This is the biggest misconception about Chicago. Yes the most sensationalze, violent crimes happen on the south side but is all instituionalized. What I mean is the crime is mostly delegated to gang members like any other city. Ppl just need to be smart. Stop having your kids around nikkas are up to no good. Get off the block at night. You know some BS is gonna pop off if 20 nikkas in white tees is posted on the corner. But yea this whole "it never happens on the north side is crap" Humboldt Park and Logan is just as infested with gangs. Uptown has GD's and also has a nice amount of mental health facilites, so its not unusual to see ppl walking around barefoot, talking to themselves at 12 in the afternoon. In addition, dozens of random crimes happen in the north side as opposed to gang related shootings. I can't tell you the countless # of ppl I know who have been strong armed, had their apartments robbed, or know ppl who've been raped coming from bars. Now granted, the majority of vics are clueless, out of state cacs, but the north side isnt all peaches and cream. Plus, the communities on the north side are horrible. Places like Lincoln Park are filled with yuppie pieces of shyt. Wrigleyville(where the cubs play) is hell in the summer, when doofus surbuban white boys piss and puke on ppl property and are just pains in the ass. The west side is just an esthetically ugly place.

Olivia Pope

Banned
Daps
Reppin
City of Peace of Mind
:aicmon:

plenty of safe spots on the south side. I have rode my bike throughout most of the southside excluding the 100s cuz I never stayed out there.

but u got:

hyde park
beverly
kenwood

its nice over by 71st and south shore by the country club, also mt greenwood is nice if ur not black. low end is cool too like 35th and king drive and what not. bridgeport is clean as well. avalon park is nice as well. area by 91st and stoney is also clean.

Agree to disagree. :smugdraper:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Example of a safe north side neighborhood

Last edited by a moderator:

Olivia Pope

Banned
Daps
Reppin
City of Peace of Mind
This is the biggest misconception about Chicago. Yes the most sensationalze, violent crimes happen on the south side but is all instituionalized. What I mean is the crime is mostly delegated to gang members like any other city. Ppl just need to be smart. Stop having your kids around nikkas are up to no good. Get off the block at night. You know some BS is gonna pop off if 20 nikkas in white tees is posted on the corner. But yea this whole "it never happens on the north side is crap" Humboldt Park and Logan is just as infested with gangs. Uptown has GD's and also has a nice amount of mental health facilites, so its not unusual to see ppl walking around barefoot, talking to themselves at 12 in the afternoon. In addition, dozens of random crimes happen in the north side as opposed to gang related shootings. I can't tell you the countless # of ppl I know who have been strong armed, had their apartments robbed, or know ppl who've been raped coming from bars. Now granted, the majority of vics are clueless, out of state cacs, but the north side isnt all peaches and cream. Plus, the communities on the north side are horrible. Places like Lincoln Park are filled with yuppie pieces of shyt. Wrigleyville(where the cubs play) is hell in the summer, when doofus surbuban white boys piss and puke on ppl property and are just pains in the ass. The west side is just an esthetically ugly place.

The topic of discussion is how safe not the attitudes of the people that stay in these communities. :manny:

But I get your point though.

Morethan1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
I was just Downtown Chicago not to long ago. I love Chicago,but i'm not going on the southside anymore. i'm not getting killed for nothing. Them young dudes are reckless.My younger brother 25 thinking about moving there. I told him he betta chill out for he end up dead.

Olivia Pope

Banned
Daps
Reppin
City of Peace of Mind
Example of a safe north side neighborhood

Uptown, Chicago Gang Fight - YouTube

I'm not a north sider. I'm a west sider. But North side is still a lot more safer than the South side. I got robbed twice out south. My grandmother stay out south in the hood. (stubborn old lady) Lets just say if I can't get a ride out south I'm not going.

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
Yall gonna have to stop putting a blanket on a whole side of a city. Almost every neighborhood on the southside has quiet blocks.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
The topic of discussion is how safe not the attitudes of the people that stay in these communities. :manny:

But I get your point though.

And i said that :dwillhuh: The bottom line is no neighborhood in Chicago is heaven on earth. You shouldn't be walking around at night all willy nilly whether its Englewood or Lincoln Park.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I'm not a north sider. I'm a west sider. But North side is still a lot more safer than the South side. I got robbed twice out south. My grandmother stay out south in the hood. (stubborn old lady) Lets just say if I can't get a ride out south I'm not going.

so what that mean? we got robbed in fukking crestwood. so the area don't mean jack shyt to me when it comes down to it.

Olivia Pope

Banned
Daps
Reppin
City of Peace of Mind
And i said that :dwillhuh: The bottom line is no neighborhood in Chicago is heaven on earth. You shouldn't be walking around at night all willy nilly whether its Englewood or Lincoln Park.

Who said it was Heaven? To be truthful, I'd rather live somewhere in the country on a farm where the sun stay shinin instead of Chicago.

But a person has a better chance of getting robbed at night in Englewood than Lincoln Park. :ld: