The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
15 local spots to visit during Black Restaurant Week in Charlotte
By Jennings Cool

October 19, 2020 10:55 AM,

Looking for a place to grab a bite this week? Look no further. Support small, Black-owned businesses through Charlotte’s fourth Black Restaurant Week, which kicks off Oct. 19 and will run through the end of the month.

Hosted by Black Business Owners of Charlotte, this year’s event is geared toward supporting businesses who have fought the hard fight during COVID-19.

Right before the close of the event, Black Food Truck Friday will take place Oct. 30 from 3-9 p.m. as another way to support black entrepreneurs. COVID-19 social distancing measures will be enforced, and other local merchants selling clothing, jewelry and more will join in, as well.

Participating restaurants, listed below, are offering up to 50% in discounts:

Participating Restaurants:

(1) Cuzzo’s Cuisine
3418 Tuckaseegee Road

(980) 298-6811

Cuzzos_spread.jpg

An Aunt Bungie Chicken & Red Waffle combo, a half lobster mac and a combo with fried shrimp, Parmesan wings and lobster mac at Cuzzo’s Cuisine. DeAnna Taylor CharlotteFive
Known for specializing in a variety of southern cuisines, Cuzzo’s will be offering a few restaurant week specials such as wings or shrimp with lobster mac and cheese, a veggie plate and a peach cobbler waffle. View the full menu on Instagram here.

(2) Freshwaters
516 N. Graham St.

(704) 503-9629

Freshwaters%20Crab%20Cake_n

CharlotteFive archives
Located in uptown, Freshwaters serves authentic southern and New Orleans style cuisine.

(3) Koffee Kup University
9601 N. Tryon St., Suite F

(980) 226-5274

koffeekup

The Koffee Kup Café is on West Boulevard.
Koffee Kup is located in the University area and serves homemade soul food such as croaker and collard greens.

(4) La’Wan’s Soul Food
7520 S. Tryon St., Suite 19

(704) 665-7225

La’Wan’s is a family-owned restaurant that serves soul food, home-style classics, including fried chicken and pork chops.

(5) Lulu’s Maryland Chicken & Seafood
2400 Tuckaseegee Road

(980) 498-0838

DSC_1259.jpg

Lulu’s Maryland Style Chicken & Seafood owners Jay Davis and Miketa Proctor. Alvin C. Jacobs Jr. CharlotteFive
Lulu’s, located in Wesley Heights, is known for specializing in Maryland-style crab cakes, chicken and seafood. While you’re enjoying your meal, read all about the owners, Joseph “Jay” Davis and Miketa Proctor, celebrating their picture-perfect wedding during COVID-19.

(6) Mr. Seafood
5430 N. Tryon St.

(980) 939-1820

In Charlotte and at two South Carolina locations, Mr. Seafood specializes in a variety of seafood dishes such as a crab leg combo and a fried seafood plate.

(7) The Nappy Chef
5933 Albemarle Road

(980) 219-7478

IMG_5743-1024x1024.jpg

The Jerk Mac is The Nappy Chef’s signature dish. Courtesy of Cory Wilkins. CharlotteFive
Owned by Chef Rojshawn Dontae, the Nappy Chef is known for serving gourmet southern food and its famous wings. During COVID-19, Dontae said his customers have maintained their “If it ain’t nappy, it’s crappy” mindset, allowing the business to stay afloat.

(8) Renaldo’s Culinary Experience
167 W. Main St., Gastonia

(704) 296-8690

Located in Gastonia, Renaldo’s serves a variety of comfort-food dishes including fried bologna sandwiches and shrimp and grits.

(9) Ruthie’s
8432 Old Statesville Road, Suite 300

(704) 564-6172

Ruthie’s offers authentic soul food dishes and boasts its meatloaf is Charlotte’s best.

(10) STATS Charlotte
3425 David Cox Road

(980) 474-1325

statsclt_BoCl_CUH_-g.jpg

STATS Restaurant & Bar is an 11,000-square-foot sports bar in the University area. Note: This photo was taken before the COVID-19 pandemic. Courtesy of STATS CharlotteFive

Stats is a sports bar, lounge and restaurant hybrid serving menu items such as grilled salmon, shrimp and grits, and seafood mac and cheese.

(11) Sweet Creations of Charlotte
3301 Beatties Ford Road

(980) 237-3244

Due to COVID-19, Sweet Creations’ Curbside Café is open Wednesday from 2-6 p.m. and Sunday from 11a.m.-2 p.m. for pickup or delivery.

(12) True Blue Catering & More
6600 E. W.T. Harris Blvd, Suite D

(704) 299-9348

All menu items at True Blue Catering are made-to-order using fresh ingredients.

Participating Specialty Shops:

(13) BW Sweets Bakery
5820 East WT Harris Blvd.; 1425 Winnifred St.

(704) 464-0767

IMG_9946.jpg

BW Sweets Bakery tops some cupcakes with bacon for the ultimate sweet and savory treat. Courtesy of BW Sweets Bakery
BW Sweets Bakery serves custom cakes and New York Style cheesecakes, along with a variety of treats at the grab-n-go dessert bar, ice cream, breads and other desserts.

IMG_4354.JPG

Frankie White owns BW Sweets Bakery. Courtesy of BW Sweets Bakery CharlotteFive

(14) Candy’s Sweets N’ Treats

1051 Oakland Ave, Rock Hill, SC

(803) 327-9338

Candy’s Sweets N’ Treats is a family-owned business that started in Atlanta. In 2019, a second location opened in Rock Hill, South Carolina. Candy’s sells a variety of cakes and sweet treats such as chocolate strawberries and gourmet chocolate apples.

(15) Hip Hop Smoothies
249 Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road, Suite 210

(980) 938-6702

Hip-Hop_Smoothies-00242.jpg

Hip Hop Smoothies co-owners Roberto and Shamika Brooks opened during COVID-19. Alex Cason CharlotteFive
Hip Hop Smoothies sells fresh fruit smoothies, coffee and other nutritional snacks. Its storefront is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11a.m.-6 p.m.

Hip-Hop_Smoothies-00265.jpg

Hip Hop Smoothies now has a brick-and-mortar shop on Mount Holly-Huntersville Road. The owners have been operating a food truck since 2018. Alex Cason CharlotteFive

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
You wasn’t going out anyway. :troll: You must be introvert gang.

I hope you at least have a warm body with you in your hermit hut, to ride out the winter, it’s going to be brutal this year. I’m preparing for the possibility that 2021 may even be more messed up then this year. :yeshrug:

Understatement.

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Are y’all still staying in?

Ive been to a get together or 2. :ehh:
Been on my fair share of dates, its like I was telling you before women are out here choosing hard, reaching out and hopping on the first chance for social interaction with real men.

Alotta women are fearless out here, straight renegading. :mjlol: Alot of the activities that you said you been doing arent that shocking to me cause I've talked to a few women during the pandemic who's moving just like that. :snoop:

All I can say is stay masked up and keep as much distance as you can. :manny:

Stay safe, cause COVID is very REAL. One of my co-workers got hit with that shyt and now like 25% of the Department are out of work now being tested cause of his goof ass :francis:

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
Been on my fair share of dates, its like I was telling you before women are out here choosing hard, reaching out and hopping on the first chance for social interaction with real men.

Alotta women are fearless out here, straight renegading. :mjlol: Alot of the activities that you said you been doing arent that shocking to me cause I've talked to a few women during the pandemic who's moving just like that. :snoop:

Stay safe, cause COVID is very REAL. One of my co-workers got hit with that shyt and now like 25% of the Department are out of work now being tested cause of his goof ass :francis:

Yeah.

I damn near required health records with the two women I’m dealing with and I’m still edgy. The fatigue and major organ after effects is what bugs me and even though I dodged the virus especially after being in NY when it was raging and took out my uncle, I don’t like the way this new wave is shaping up with the fast spread.

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Yeah.

I damn near required health records with the two women I’m dealing with and I’m still edgy. The fatigue and major organ after effects is what bugs me and even though I dodged the virus especially after being in NY when it was raging and took out my uncle, I don’t like the way this new wave is shaping up with the fast spread.

Right. I played it safe over the weekend. My friends are trying to get to come out for Halloween but I’m thinking I’m going to start slowing down a bit. I had too much of a COVID scare and another scare that I need to work out anyway. I don’t want jinx myself at this point. It’s been fun but it’d be shame if I got it from continuing to try my luck.
Understatement.
What is your prediction for 2021?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
If you have endured even the slightest difficulty with wage reduction or job loss due to COVID, please spread the word about this program.

They paid up my rent through April 2021!!!!!:whoo::damn::damn::damn:
I wasn’t even struggling like that. Just had my research assistantship hours cut back due to the summer and schools being shut down.
I thought they were gonna pay a few fees but NAH!
9 months of rent PAID!!!!

WONT HE DO IT!!!!!!!

:lawd::lawd::lawd:
They have grant based funding and are LOOKING for people to give money too.

Mortage and Rent Relief Programs - CM Housing Partnership

Go here and apply before the end of the month. If you know anybody who needs rental or mortgage assistance. Explain your circumstances, provide check stubs and they are very lenient.

Im telling people before funds run out. I got blessed so I wanna pass the blessings on!

I love you all!
images

Landlord called me like :picard:
received_10212528998877591.gif

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
If you have endured even the slightest difficulty with wage reduction or job loss due to COVID, please spread the word about this program.

They paid up my rent through April 2021!!!!!:whoo::damn::damn::damn:
I wasn’t even struggling like that. Just had my research assistantship hours cut back due to the summer and schools being shut down.
I thought they were gonna pay a few fees but NAH!
9 months of rent PAID!!!!

WONT HE DO IT!!!!!!!

:lawd::lawd::lawd:
They have grant based funding and are LOOKING for people to give money too.

Mortage and Rent Relief Programs - CM Housing Partnership

Go here and apply before the end of the month. If you know anybody who needs rental or mortgage assistance. Explain your circumstances, provide check stubs and they are very lenient.

Im telling people before funds run out. I got blessed so I wanna pass the blessings on!

I love you all!
images

Landlord called me like :picard:
received_10212528998877591.gif
i did take a pay cut but i'm working again...should i apply? I dont want that to come back on me during tax time 2021