The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
No. That’s a no go. I don’t read anything that has to do with children in that capacity.

Understand and I respect that, just know I wasnt part of that, I didn’t condone it nor did I instigate that in the least. I ended up going to another room

That was between my boy and his brother:unimpressed:

And no joke or lie..... I haven’t spoken to them in years.

That dude was even crazier than me. Like his wife of who he’s now been married to for over 15 years from what I hear.

He met her via a gangbang when him and some dudes used to run trains on her. Also that same year he made a sextape with her and used to pass it around campus for anyone to see.

I hear they have like 3 or 4 kids now but they don’t live in NC no more.

Fred was a Savage nicca and a different type of cat

Last edited:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
@Bryan Danielson

Good ole Vanstory :youngsabo: the southside of A&T.

That’s where I met the Charlotte joint that i still fukk with from time to time till this day. She tryna get me to come out to CIAA. She bartends for one of them clubs out there. I ain’t gone say which one to protect myself and her lol.
Back in the day, I used to bring her back to my apartment on Spring Garden. She’d always hit me up after she got done clubbing, and I’d go pick her drunk ass up and she’d stay with me. Ole girl can party with the best of them, even today.

Had this reformed “Cooper Trooper” (I know you know about them troopers @Bryan Danielson) from New York that I taught how to drive. We’d be around campus in my impala practicing. She would come to my apartment every week to wash clothes and would stay the night. I like riding out, and me and her would hit up my folks crib in Winston or hit up High Point on some late nights on some cruising shyt.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
@Bryan Danielson

Good ole Vanstory :youngsabo: the southside of A&T.

That’s where I met the Charlotte joint that i still fukk with from time to time till this day. She tryna get me to come out to CIAA. She bartends for one of them clubs out there. I ain’t gone say which one to protect myself and her lol.
Back in the day, I used to bring her back to my apartment on Spring Garden. She’d always hit me up after she got done clubbing, and I’d go pick her drunk ass up and she’d stay with me. Ole girl can party with the best of them, even today.

Had this reformed “Cooper Trooper” (I know you know about them troopers @Bryan Danielson) from New York that I taught how to drive. We’d be around campus in my impala practicing. She would come to my apartment every week to wash clothes and would stay the night. I like riding out, and me and her would hit up my folks crib in Winston or hit up High Point on some late nights on some cruising shyt.

:deadmanny: At that

Yea.... I knew of the Cooper Troopers.....

But I stayed in Scott so we had the “Scottie Hotties”:mjlit:

Daps
Another Topgolf is coming to Charlotte. And it’s bringing 500 jobs with it
By Catherine Muccigrosso

February 06, 2020 04:52 PM

Topgolf plans to open its second entertainment site after two years ago in Charlotte.

Topgolf Entertainment Group announced Thursday it will open a location in University City by the end of the year, but did not specify an opening date yet. The 14.2-acre venue is expected to create about 500 jobs, according to the company.

The 14.2-acre site is off University City Boulevard and Ikea Drive near Interstate 85, the Observer previously reported.

“This city has a fast-growing population and economy, and it’s that prosperity and Charlotte’s leading culture in food and entertainment that makes us want to build an even stronger bond with the community here,” said Topgolf Chief Executive Officer Dolf Berle.

Topgolf North Charlotte will offer its tech-driven experience, plus chef-driven menu and drinks, live music and year-round programming in a climate-controlled outdoor space, according to a company press release.

Topgolf opened its first 65,000-square-foot indoor-outdoor entertainment facility in June 2017 in Steele Creek at 8024 Savoy Corporate Drive, the Observer previously reported.

Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Topgolf has about 60 locations around the world.

• Dap
Reactions: ADK
Daps
Statewide "Green Book" exhibit will highlight Charlotte people and places - Q City Metro

Statewide “Green Book” exhibit will highlight Charlotte people and places
North Carolina's 'Green Book Project' explores the 327 entries in "The Negro Motorist Green Book," including the histories of 55 sites in Charlotte.
Lisa-Withers-Green-Book-Project.jpg

"The Travelers' Green Book: 1960." Photo courtesy of New York Public Library Digital Collections
By Dante Miller
September 12, 2019 | Updated Jan 21, 2020

In today’s times of readily available flight deals and Airbnb, it’s easy to take the simplicity and safety of travel for granted. For African Americans living in the era of legal racial segregation, the simple act of driving to a nearby town or going into the wrong restaurant could turn into a life or death situation. A Harlem-based mail carrier named Victor Hugo Green published the “Negro Motorist Green Book,” also known as the “Green Book,” from 1936 to 1966 to help Black travelers find welcoming businesses during their trips.

Now, a small research team led by the N.C. African American Heritage Commission is piecing together the artifacts and oral histories connected to 327 North Carolina sites that were listed in the “Green Book,” including 55 Charlotte locations. It will culminate with the Green Book Project, a traveling exhibit debuting in March 2020. It will also feature an interactive web portal that allows visitors to get an in-depth look at each site through historical vignettes, stories and photos.

“We’re going to have pop-up museum panels that can be carried around the state,” said Angela Thorpe, the commission’s director and project manager for the Green Book Project. “There are plenty of people who are not familiar with the guide itself or how it was used. We want to know how people moved their bodies throughout the state and outside the state because it wasn’t always safe getting from point A to point B.”

Green-Book-1961-NY-public-library-digital-collections-1024x683.jpg

Two Charlotte entries in the 1961 edition of “The Travelers’ Green Book.” Photo courtesy of New York Public Library Digital Collections
Stops were few and far between

LaTanya Johnson is a Philadelphia native, but during her childhood in the 1960s, she remembers visiting her uncles in Charlotte. It was during the Jim Crow era, so her father would always travel with his copy of the “Green Book” in his glove compartment. During one summer trip to Charlotte, when she was age 6 or 7, she witnessed her father getting arrested in a Virginia town.

“A white highway patroller put handcuffs on my dad. I was crying, and my mother tried to calm me down,” Johnson recalled. “She was pleading to [the officer] saying, ‘Call my brothers. They will come, and they will vouch for us traveling to see them for the summer.’”

QCity Metro thanks its sponsors. Become One.
Johnson’s uncles traveled from Charlotte to bail her father out. She didn’t remember the name of the town but noted that it was a “sundown town” because the police didn’t release her father until the following morning. During long trips, Johnson said her family usually waited a long time before making stops, hoping to avoid situations like the police stop in Virginia.

“We had to stop on the highway most times because restroom and restaurant stops were few and far between,” said Johnson, now a resident of Clover, South Carolina. “Before every trip, my dad would look at the book to see what Howard Johnson’s [hotel] we could go to, what gas stations we could go to and small stops.”

She added, “My mother had to teach me how to squat behind the car to use the bathroom, and we had to do it quickly.”

A way of life

As a child, Gastonia resident Terry Barnwell would often travel by bus to visit his mother who lived in New York City.

“I didn’t feel racial tension at the time,” said Barnwell, 71. “We were conditioned to sit in the back of the bus. When you live a certain way, you don’t think about it. Even though it was a little scary at the time, I remember thinking how beautiful and colorful the people were.”

He admitted that he was “called an N-word before, but we knew those type of people and avoided them. We ignored them and didn’t pay them no mind.”

Terry-Barnwell-Green-Book-Charlotte-story-1024x682.jpg

Terry Barnwell, a Gastonia resident, shares childhood memories of growing up with Jim Crow laws. Photo: Qcitymetro
Barnwell hadn’t heard of the “Green Book,” but he’s confident his mother had one because of how prepared she was.

Remembering the importance of home

The project’s research historian, Lisa Withers, has been on a deep dive into the sites still in existence and those no longer standing, many of which were demolished during urban renewal.

Original-Chicken-n-Ribs-Beatties-Ford-Charlotte-1024x682.jpg

Original Chicken ‘n Ribs at 1100 Beatties Ford Road was a restaurant listing in the “Green Book.” It still operates in the same location. Photo: Qcitymetro
“One of the most powerful things I want people to get out of this project is remembering the importance of home and hometown,” she said. “I realized during my professional training that most of the things I’ve learned were from a national point of view. The place you grew up has meaning even more so today. There were vibrant communities then. There’s a rich legacy for something we can be proud of.”

Individuals wanting to share their stories relating to the “Green Book” should contact Lisa Withers at 336-891-0288. For more information on the Green Book Project, visit aahc.nc.gov/green-book-project.

Daps
https://www.wcnc.com/article/life/h...hill/275-68e50cdf-1f32-4ffe-a132-d62eed57a97f

How urban renewal led to the end of black-owned businesses in Rock Hill
Hundreds of black-owned businesses once lined the streets of downtown Rock Hill before government programs led to their demise.

Author: Billie Jean Shaw
Published: 12:20 PM EST February 11, 2020
Updated: 7:26 PM EST February 11, 2020

ROCK HILL, S.C. — A trip down memory lane, or in this instance West Black Street in Rock Hill, reveals a painful past for generations of African American families.

The anguish stems from the non-existence of black businesses that once lined the streets of downtown. Former city council member Sandra Oborokumo remembers visiting the black business district as a little girl.

"Our community thrived and we flourished in this area," Oborokumo told Billie Jean Shaw.

Click here to sign up for the daily Wake Up Charlotte newsletter

The district was established in 1908 and by the early 1950s, hundreds of black business owners had storefronts offering services for anything you could think of.

"Pawn shops, notary public, dentists, you know of course a beauty shop that was my grandmothers, Friendly Beauty Shop," Oborokumo said.

Then, urban renewal happened. In the 1960s and 70s, the federal government gave businesses money to relocate. Storefronts were then torn down in an effort to beautify urban areas. Every single one of Rock Hill's black businesses was affected — and unable to thrive after relocation, they closed their doors forever.

"There are people who were here in the midst of this who are still dealing with some of the hurt," said Oborokumo. "That's one of the challenges we have in the city. We've got to get beyond what happened so we can move forward."

In 2015, the city took steps to move forward. They've build a monument to pay tribute to the hundreds of black entrepreneurs who once successfully ran their businesses in that very spot. Each of their company names are engraved in rich black marble with pictures of the owners displayed for everyone who rides by. It sends a message that one who is gone is not truly forgotten.

"This is representative of what we had back in those days," Oborokumo said. "These are the businesses that thrived and that was a part of our makeup and our culture."

Now nearly 60 years later, a change has come thanks to a group of entrepreneurs in Rock Hill.

They’ve created a grassroots organization called BELL, which stands for the Black Economic Leadership League, with the goal of reestablishing black-owned businesses in the area.

"Black people are business-minded always have been,” Dawn Johnson, the chair of BELL, said. “I think after urban renewal they kind of went back to a comfort zone."

This past summer, BELL created an intense training program to teach entrepreneurs how to successfully run a business through the creation of business plans.

At least 70 people participated and at the end, four people were selected to split $100,000 to assist their businesses in becoming more mainstream. WCNC Charlotte’s Billie Jean Shaw spoke with Kimberly Mood, one of the winners.

"I was speechless,” Mood said.

Mood owns Carolina Therapy Solutions, which offers occupational therapy services for kids.

For her, the award goes far beyond the money.

"To have support from other business owners and influential people in the area is huge,” Mood said.

Her office sits off Constitution Boulevard. She eventually wants to build an office to downtown Rock Hill — not too far from where a monument now stands honoring the city’s former black business district.

It's a full-circle moment for those who lived through the destruction and now rebuilding of history.

“African- American businesses and what they contribute to our city is needed and we had that before," Oborokumo said. "We want people to know generations after that, they can carry that on."

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

So I was in prison from 2006-2009, and way back then (its crazy the 00s were 11+ years ago now) when I was upstate I heard Nick Cannon was from Charlotte, Charlotte brothers on the yard told me that...

I never believed it, 1 because everybody knew he was from San Diego, but 2 because NC cats seemed notorious for claiming people who didn't publicly claim them. Just a few of the shyt I heard back in the mid/late 00s:

"Remy Ma is from Raleigh!"

"Lil Mo is from Fayetteville!"

And there was alot more I heard of at the time....my case was outta Fayetteville, so i heard several celebrities who allegedly were from the Ville, remember that this is a time before J. Cole and Fayetteville had any presence in hip hop whatsoever. And i went up and saw that this was a trend when I met cats from other cities, in a time before NC had any type of popularity in black culture, certainly NC wasn't as popular within the culture then as it is now...

And I always met it with skepticism, everybody who would say some celebrity was from NC, I remember telling nikkas "why dont these people say they from Carolina then?" Me and a few others, but the people saying it would argue us to death, they knew the person's mom and grandma lol, the person went to this school or that school, etc. It just didn't sound believable...

So this Nick Cannon interview took me down memory lane and it's also the first time I've ever heard him publicly say he "grew up" parts of his childhood in Charlotte. Any of yall brothers or sisters in here have any knowledge of this? Again I heard this 12/13/14 years ago by nikkas from Charlotte in prison, I just never believed it....I do remember he had an interview some years ago and said his grandparents were from North and South Carolina, and he came out here as a kid and felt "racism in the air", but he never specified where in NC or SC and definitely didn't say Charlotte specifically...

So when i heard that, I still didn't think it was any truth really, his old interview sounded like he just took a summer trip out here to see his grandparents one year. So it's kinda cool to me to see him confirm he lived in Charlotte as a kid, got me thinking "damn the nikkas I knew really did know dude and went to school with him". Nick is 39, the cats who told me this years ago all were in his age range or a few years younger...

For the record, maybe 8 years ago or so I got some confirmation on Lil Mo too, she came thru Foxy 99 in Fayetteville for some kinda promo spot and was reminiscing and chatting with the radio personalities. She did say she spent part of her childhood in Fayetteville, went to and graduated from high school in the Ville...

Just interested in if any of you guys on here had ever heard that Nick Cannon was from or lived in Charlotte?

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article240201447.html
50 black-owned shops, restaurants and studios in Charlotte

BY DEANNA TAYLOR

FEBRUARY 20, 2020 05:40 AM
LuLu’s Chicken and Seafood Restaurant owner Jay Davis and his fiancee, Miketa Proctor. COURTESY OF LULU'SCHARLOTTEFIVE
As Charlotte native, I can’t help but to reminisce about my days growing up as a little girl in Royal Orleans on Beatties Ford Road and then moving to what is now considered South End just before kindergarten.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/c...velopment/article240201447.html#storylink=cpy

Daps
Mona Lisa’s checklist: A homeless woman’s quest to ‘just get a job’ in Charlotte

Mona Lisa’s checklist: A homeless woman’s quest to ‘just get a job’ in Charlotte
M_Hill_truck_large.jpg

Story by Michael Graff and photos by Alvin Jacobs Jr. | February 19, 2020

Join us: This story is made possible with the help of Agenda Members. If you’d like to support more reporting, photography, and storytelling like this, become an Agenda Member.

She reports to her first day of work at 4:55 a.m., riding in a white Kia Optima with a dent on the trunk. In the Monday morning darkness along Wilkinson Boulevard in west Charlotte, strobe lights flicker from the roofs of yellow buses.
Engines grumble and people do, too. Some of her new coworkers walk through puffs of exhaust to the QuikTrip gas station next door for a cup of steely coffee. Others start their day’s work, rolling through the pre-trip checklists: tires, brakes, reflectors, and on and on. In QT’s parking lot, a man is asleep in the cab of a tiny Ford Ranger, his painting supplies in the truck’s bed. It’s 37 degrees.

Mona Lisa Hill heads to the office, where she’ll sign employment papers to become one of more than 1,000 bus drivers for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. The job will pay $15.50 an hour, or about $32,000 a year. That would put her at around 50 percent of Charlotte’s area median income, which would move her out of “poverty” and into the “low-income” classification.

Mona Lisa’s slept in a half-dozen or so places around Charlotte in the past year, including outside. She’s spent much of the past six months working toward her commercial driver’s license through a program at the Charlotte Area Fund, a 56-year-old nonprofit that helps train people like her for employment. That’s where we met, in the Area Fund’s lobby in October, two weeks before she was scheduled to take her learner’s permit test.

In the four months since, she’s wept. She’s celebrated. She’s studied. She’s pulled together money parking cars for a rental company at the airport. She had a birthday, her 54th, though she still disputes her age.

In early January, she received a surprise that was at once everything she wished for and everything she couldn’t handle — her 15-year-old daughter Rebekah, the youngest of her four children, came to Charlotte to live with her. Rebekah had been in Memphis with family, but she wanted to be with her mother. A few weeks after moving here, Rebekah enrolled at Vance High School, making her one of more than 4,500 CMS kids who will experience housing instability at some point this school year.

They’re two of the newest faces of Charlotte’s affordability crisis.

M_Hill_rebekahandMonainMotel.jpg

Mona Lisa’s 15-year-old daughter Rebekah moved to Charlotte in January.

The decade since the Great Recession has filled pockets of many people who live here in the fastest growing city in the southeast, but it’s also widened the gap between those people who have and those who don’t.
A 2014 Harvard and Cal-Berkeley study ranked Charlotte last among major U.S. cities in terms of upward mobility. Leaders have studied the crisis and raised millions for good. But still it boils, despite the efforts of philanthropists.

Three weeks ago, a line of 1,000 people waited outside a new apartment complex to apply for 129 affordable units. Of those units, only 19 are being made affordable to people who make between 30 and 50 percent of the area’s median income — the same bracket Mona Lisa aspires to join.

Still, responses to that story echo the thoughts of generations past, when the economic stair steps weren’t nearly as steep: Just get a job.

But in Charlotte, a city with a shortage of 27,022 affordable units, only 27 percent of homeless people say their biggest barrier to finding a roof is employment, according to the 2019 Charlotte-Mecklenburg State of Housing Instability and Homelessness report. Nearly 10 percent of the people who experience homelessness are employed. And others are working toward work.

Mecklenburg County’s unemployment rate is at 3.1 percent, its lowest point since 2000. Yet nearly 45 percent of all households that rent are cost-burdened, which means they spend 30 percent or more of their income on housing. Nearly half of those households — 38,120 — are severely cost-burdened, meaning they spend 50 percent or more on housing.

In Mecklenburg County, the trouble isn’t finding a job. The trouble is finding a living wage.
“I’ve always worked. One thing you can’t say about me is that I don’t work,” Mona Lisa tells me. “But I need to make money.”

I tracked Mona Lisa’s progress over the past four months to see what it takes for a homeless person to “just get a job” in Charlotte.

Some days were uplifting and positive. “Good morning! On this blessed day! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!” she wrote in a text message on Thanksgiving morning.

Others were like the stream of messages on New Year’s Day, after she learned Rebekah was on her way. Mona Lisa had been living in a shelter for single women — with a child, she’d have to leave.

“Hello,” she texted that first evening of 2020. “We haven’t anywhere to go. We desperately need a place to stay. … Please help me!!!”

Joy and misery are sometimes hours apart for her, and usually dependent upon outside forces.

One of the most stressful days was February 9, the Sunday before her first day. The reason? She had no idea how she’d get there. Her shift was scheduled to start at 5 a.m. in west Charlotte, and the Extended Stay America where she and Rebekah have been sleeping in the same bed is in University City.

She doesn’t have a car or money for a Lyft. She travels everywhere by light-rail or bus — tickets the Area Fund pays for. But the trains and buses in Charlotte don’t start running until around 5 a.m., which happens to be the time she needs to be across town.

It’s a riddle with real-life consequences: Who’ll drive the bus driver?

She had one hope: Rebekah’s made friends with a boy in her class at Vance whose mother works for Lyft. She drives the white Kia Optima with a dent on the trunk. She starts each day at 4 a.m. and heads to the airport, a route that takes her past the bus depot. She’s agreed to drive Mona Lisa to work for her first few weeks. Mona Lisa calls the woman Ms. Tracy.

I asked her how she met Ms. Tracy.

“Her son and Rebekah were sharing things about their parenting experiences,” Mona Lisa says. “And it turns out they’re homeless, too. So they started bonding over that.”

M_hill_wilkinson.jpg

What comes first: the house, or the job?
The fair-market rent in Charlotte for a two-bedroom apartment is $1,028, according to the instability and homelessness report. The average rent paid to privately owned motel rooms jumped from $548 to $687 per month over the past three years.

A recent report from The Atlantic shows that across the country, two in five Americans say they couldn’t come up with $400 in an emergency, and one in three households is “financially fragile.”

People like Mona Lisa have little margin for error. In the past year she’s balanced her hours at a shelter — where she needed to be out by 6 a.m., and back by 6:15 p.m., and not one minute later — with the hours at her job at the rental car place, or the hours at truck-driving school. On those days, she had a choice: She could leave work and have a bed, or keep working and sleep outside.

She moved to Charlotte in early 2019 from Roanoke, Virginia, after losing her job and stability following a divorce. Last March, she showed up at the Charlotte Area Fund. The nonprofit is part of the country’s network of community action agencies, designed to help poor people become self-sufficient. It supports people who make up to 125 percent of the federal poverty level, or about $19,500 a year, and helps place them in programs designed to fill working needs in Charlotte. Of which there are plenty.

There, she met Olaniyi Zainabu. Mona Lisa calls her Ms. O.

Ms. O is the Area Fund’s work readiness coordinator and success coach. She and Mona Lisa share one striking similarity — defiant optimism. Ms. O helps people find the course that best suits them. Graduates of the Charlotte Area Fund’s programs have gone on to work in real estate, or as medical assistants, or accounting, or forklift operations.

In their first meeting, Mona Lisa said she wanted to pursue a nursing assistant certification. She’d worked at the hospital in Roanoke. But after Ms. O talked to her for a few days, she learned that the woman in front of her had driven trucks before.

“I just saw the light in her eyes,” Ms. O says. She suggested that Mona Lisa might want to skip nursing and work toward her CDL. She’d be the first woman to go that route through the Area Fund.

Each day for months Mona Lisa would study, then take a bus to the airport to make what little money she could at the rental-car company. When I met her in October, she was weeks away from taking the test to earn a CDL learner’s permit. She was living at a shelter in west Charlotte called Church in the City, the place with the strict hours.

That October morning, she was in the Area Fund’s lobby with her elbows on her knees and her hands in her face. Her eyes slouched.

I asked what she’d like me to know about her.

“You’re looking at a writer. You’re looking at a born, gifted writer, actor.” I looked at her. “No seriously. A star.”

“Even in high school, my teachers would always say to me, ‘You’re going to be the one to really make it.’”

M_Hill_firstday.jpg

Mona Lisa smiled a lot after she made it to her first day of work with CMS on February 10.

Daps
Mona Lisa’s family has a tradition that whenever a new baby’s born, the whole crew comes to the nursery and prays for a name.
It was her aunt, she says, who called her Mona Lisa.

As I do with all people I profile, I left our first interview and ran a background check to verify key parts of her story — where she was born, the number of kids she had, where she’s lived. They were all true, with the technical exception of her last name. It still lists her married name, but she’s trying to shed her ex-husband as fast as she can.

She has only one criminal offense listed, from 2017, for a “defective speedometer.”

Mona Lisa was born in northern New Jersey, near Newark, around the time people like Shaquille O’Neal and Queen Latifah were born in the same area. Here’s where we get to some unverifiable parts, but she’d like me to let people know about them.

She says she was friends with both. She says Shaq stepped on her feet at school dances and that she sang with Queen Latifah when the star was just Dana Owens. Regardless whether they check out, over the course of our time together she’s mentioned them so much it’s clear she believes them.

She says her grandfather was abusive toward her, says her mother was beautiful but elusive, a woman who preferred her boyfriends to her children. She also says that she lived for a time in Alabama with her grandfather — which checks out — and adds that she was kidnapped there and held hostage by her abductors, but I couldn’t find arrest records.

Whatever the case, most of what she tells me is verifiable, and it’s clear she has parts of her childhood she wants to remember and parts she absolutely does not.

Mona Lisa met the man who’d become her husband in New Jersey. They moved to Roanoke, Virginia, where his family lived. She worked at Roanoke Memorial Hospital in environmental services. She won certificates for her devotion to the job. She eventually moved to the dietary department.

At home, though, she and her husband fought. He had a long history of arrest. They called off their marriage. His family had a big presence in the area. She’d see them everywhere she went. She started to believe that each unfortunate circumstance in her life was somehow tied to them and their network. She blames his family for dismissal from the dietary department at the hospital.

“They all were in it together,” she says.

One morning in 2017, she sent Rebekah to school and went to a custody hearing. When she heard the words that told her social services would be removing her daughter, Mona Lisa crumpled to the courtroom floor. To this day, she says she doesn’t know why. She blames the social services worker for creating a false report about Rebekah’s well-being.

Rebekah spent a year in a foster home, then lived with a cousin in Philadelphia, then to Memphis.

Mona Lisa spiraled. She lost her hospital job and fell into more rental debt before deciding that she couldn’t make it in Roanoke. She’d lived in Charlotte for a few years in the late 2000s and liked it, so she turned her sights here.

It’s natural to believe that place can determine happiness or change a fortune. Mona Lisa thought Charlotte would turn her life. She took the train here without any plan except to start over, find good work, and bring Rebekah back with her.

In fundraising efforts and board rooms and homeless counts, Charlotte’s affordability troubles can seem like Charlotte’s problem. But the city is only a highway or train ride away for problems born elsewhere, from the migration of young people leaving rural areas for work, to social issues in other cities in the region.
Mona Lisa started her trip through Charlotte’s network of homeless services here by going to Urban Ministry Center. “They fed us and were nice,” she says. “They would give out scarves, hats, and socks.”

She says she’d walk up and down the street in the daytime, wondering what to do. Some folks on the street offered the wrong kind of assistance. They suggested she start using drugs, or drink heavily, because people with substance abuse problems always find help, they told her. But she believes drugs and alcohol are wastes of money.

Twice, she was the victim of attempted robbery. The second time, she put down her bag and looked the assailant in the eyes.

“Dude, I’m homeless,” she told him. “I ain’t even got nothing myself. What you want me to say? What you want me to give you?”

Mona Lisa landed her first Charlotte job in April 2019, driving rental cars from the airport parking deck to a car wash. But the rental company cut her hours in May, and around the same time, Salvation Army Center for Women and Children told her she’d exhausted her time there. The Area Fund helped Mona Lisa find a bed at Church in the City, a shelter for women on the west side.

Mona Lisa couldn’t enroll in trucking school until she figured out how to navigate the shelter’s hours.

One thing you learn quickly about homelessness in Charlotte is that there’s always a line to wait in.
Sometimes it’s a line at the DMV for a license, or at a cafeteria for a meal, or outside a shelter in mid-afternoon for that evening. And sometimes it’s a line of priorities, arranged based on the basic needs of the day. How, Mona Lisa wondered, could she make it to the trucking school at Hovis Road and put in her time there, and still get back to the shelter before the doors were locked?

Months passed while she worked at the rental-car facility, making part-time wages. Then in August, she finally took the chance and started at the trucking school. Within a few days, she’d made a friend there who agreed to give her a ride.

When you strip away the troubles of getting around and making money, Mona Lisa is a joyful person who makes fast friends. And when you put her behind the wheel, she seems unburdened.

The gears and turn signals and signs — she’s free in a place where the rules are clear.

M_Hill_bussign.jpg

On Monday, November 4, four days before she’s scheduled to take her learner’s permit test, Mona Lisa spends two hours on the phone with Rebekah.

She calls me later from her bunk. She’s sniffling.

She’d pulled two shifts this weekend at the airport to help pay the $34.99 for a study guide for her learner’s permit test. She’s already passed the air brakes and combinations test.

“I have to stay focused, so I can pass this test,” she says, then she rattles off her list, “and get my license and then get a job and then I can get my baby back here with me and have a place for her to come.”
She says she has to get off the phone for chores at the shelter. I ask if she’ll be OK.

“I have my crying days. I’ve got my times when I know I’m not strong,” she says. “I’m not going to be straight and the tears are not going to dry up until I get this CDL.”

Four days later, she passes her learner’s test. She starts to envision it again. She wants not just to drive trucks but to have a whole fleet of trucks.

“The secret to the truck, it’s not the going forward,” she tells me. “It’s the backing up.”

Church in the City doesn’t allow visitors, so I can’t see her there. We talk a few times over the next month and meet for breakfast in mid-December at the Community Matters Café, a restaurant and coffee shop where all of the employees are going through addiction-treatment programs through the Charlotte Rescue Mission.

She walks in wearing a reflective vest and orders hot tea. When it comes she shakes up and pours out five sugar packets.

On the television in the café is a bit of big news in Charlotte: Billionaire Panthers owner David Tepper and mayor Vi Lyles are on the screen, announcing the new MLS franchise. I ask her what she would do if she had money like Tepper has.

“I would have two or three businesses,” she says, “and hire people nobody else wants to hire.”

M_Hill_truckRebekahsmall.jpg

Mona Lisa and Rebekah, just a few days after Rebekah moved to Charlotte in January.

Over the holidays, Rebekah calls her mother from Memphis and says she wants to come live with her.
Mona Lisa spends the rest of the week whirling. But she always lands back on the course that’s grounded her all these months, repeated over and over again.

“I have to stay focused on this license,” she says. “I have to stay focused.”

It’s plain to see the toll the past few months have taken on Mona Lisa’s mind and body. Her mood’s shifted up and down in all of our conversations, but this is by far the lowest point.

“My body is so tired,” she says on January 3, her voice weak. “It’s just too much.”
That Friday, the Charlotte Area Fund jumps in to find a hotel room for her; that Saturday, Rebekah arrives from Memphis. They move into the hotel off of North Tryon Street. It has one bed and a small kitchen with electric burners on the stove.

Mona Lisa switches her focus from a Class A license to a Class B license. She still hopes to land the Class A and have a trucking business one day. But she can achieve the Class B faster, and it allows her to find a paying job as a bus driver. She’s talked to CATS about working for them. But soon she comes across a program with CMS.

It takes a minimum of one month, from start to finish, for a person with a learner’s permit to become a certified school bus driver.

She passes the drug test and the background check with no problem, then takes a weeklong School Bus and Traffic Safety instruction class at the DMV. At the end of the week she passes a classroom test. Then she passes a physical and enrolls in a 14-day program working directly with CMS trainers to gain experience driving a bus.

Between the first and second week of the 14-day program, the hotel where she’s living tells her something’s wrong with her payment. They try to throw her and Rebekah out on a Saturday. Ms. O calls and argues, and eventually it’s settled. It costs Mona Lisa eight hours, though, and they have to move rooms.

The next week she’s still ready for the three-day test with a DMV trainer.

From kindergarten on, people encounter tough teachers and more forgiving teachers. There’s one teacher in the DMV bus program who has a reputation for being brutal. “She don’t play,” one of the instructors tells Mona Lisa.

Sitting in the waiting room, Mona Lisa already knows who’ll walk out. Mona Lisa drives for the toughest teacher at the school for two days, then schedules her final exam for Thursday, January 30.

That morning, Mona Lisa leaves Rebekah in the room and catches a train, then a bus, and another bus, to the testing site. She runs through through each item in her head, from the exhaust to the headlights and all places in between. If anything goes wrong with the bus, she needs to know how to fix it.

With the gaze of the difficult instructor on her, Mona Lisa nails each part. She passes. “I’m just so happy,” Mona Lisa says. “I got my CDL. Nobody can ever take a job away from me.”

As she leaves the testing site, she texts Rebekah, who responds, “I’m so proud of you, Mommy!”

M_Hill_rebekah.jpg

Rebekah is a tall 15-year-old with big glasses, white Vans shoes, and a shy smile. On the Monday afternoon after her mother passed the test, Rebekah looks out the window of the first-floor room at the extended stay and sees a group of girls, probably a year or two younger than she is, throwing rocks at something in the woods. She turns her head back into the room and listens to her mother talk about what’s next.
She needs to enroll Rebekah in Vance High. The girl says she can’t wait to go to school.

“I like Charlotte a lot,” she says. “The weather is nice. I hope my mom can get an apartment for us.”

For more than a year in Virginia, the only time Rebekah could see her mom was in a glass-windowed room at the social services building. Everywhere she’s moved since then, she says, she’s wished she could be with Mona Lisa.

“I just missed my mom,” she says of the past two years. “I was getting my hair done and going to school, so everything looked fine. I didn’t really want to show emotions, though.”

Two books are on a table in the hotel room. One is the devotional Come Up Higher by Marilyn Good. The other is the Holy Bible. Mona Lisa checks her phone and slips into a few more stories about her road here, and all the things that went wrong along the way.

Rebekah rolls over on her side and curls her legs into her knees on the end of the bed and takes a short nap.

An hour or so later, it’s dark, dinnertime.

“I want Showmars,” Rebekah says. The restaurant is next door to the hotel.

“Ha,” Mona Lisa says. “I don’t have Showmars money.”

M_Hill_cooking_motel.jpg

Mona Lisa cooks for her and her daughter each night, even if it’s just a quick meal before she has to get to bed. She wakes up before 4 each morning.

Daps
Rebekah’s friend’s mother — Ms. Tracy with the white Kia Optima — drives Mona Lisa to work throughout her entire first week, February 10 through 14.
Mona Lisa spends two days as a passenger with another driver who shows her the route, which takes her to Metro School, Turning Point Academy, and Myers Park High. She’s been assigned to a bus for special-needs children. In her first week, she goes through even one more level of training to learn how to lock wheelchairs in the lift.

“She’s a fighter,” says Devery Peterson, the CMS Safety and Training specialist. “Hers is a unique story for us. We have some drivers who are working and may find themselves in that situation, for whatever reason. Not that many are homeless and come through the training.”

She learns the route not by names of roads but by turns. She follows every rule. No phone on while driving. Turn signals. She never misses a check.

The bus brings the order she craves.

She shows up by 5, does the pre-check, leaves the bus lot, makes the turns, lifts the wheelchairs, waves to the moms and dads, drops the kids off, and comes back to the bus depot by just after 9 a.m. Then she naps until 1 p.m., when it’s off to the schools for the evening route. That finishes between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., and then she hops on the city bus, which takes her to the light rail, which takes her back to the hotel with Rebekah. A day.

In the middle of last week, I tell her that it seems like we can run her story now, that we’ve followed her to where we hoped she’d go. She agrees. After months of wondering how this would turn out, Mona Lisa has done more than just get a job. She’s found a calling.

And then.

Last Thursday, four days into her job, she learns the news. The hotel where she’s staying is raising its rates for the CIAA tournament week.
The Charlotte Area Fund has already contributed thousands to her housing and training over the past few months. Far more than they have with any other client, Ms. O says. She’s one of dozens of Ms. O’s cases, and the fund can’t afford to pay her rent and provide services to others. When Mona Lisa checks her email, she finds a note from Ms. O telling her that they’ve gone as far as they can go.

Ms. O says she’s contacting other homeless services in Charlotte to see what they can do.

But Mona Lisa and Rebekah need to be out of the hotel by 11 a.m. on Saturday, February 22. She’s scheduled to receive her first paycheck on February 28.

“There’s only so much that we can do,” Ms. O tells me when I call her the next day. “I think she’s on to a good start. She’s got a real job, and she’s at least on her way to earning something. I know it’s still going to be a lot.”

Ms. O’s voice cracks.

“People don’t understand that poverty is a hole,” she says. “As soon as you get out of one hole, there’s another.”

Each hole brings emotions that most of Charlotte has never felt, but one that an increasing number of people are in danger of feeling: the anxiety, the shakes, the sleepless nights, and the questions from her children.

On Sunday morning I wake up to two text messages from Mona Lisa, timestamped at 2:13 a.m.

“Please come over here on February 22, 2020. I want have anywhere to go,” she’d written, with the “want” in place of “won’t,” an accidental typo. “We have to check out by 11:00 a.m. Please.”

Daps
85183717_10156868262446027_8755555604744896512_o1.jpg

Sphinx Virtuosi Community Concert
Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Enjoy a new take on classical music. Come experience Sphinx Virtuosi, a self-conducted chamber orchestra comprised of 18 of the nation’s top Black and Latinx classical soloists, as they host two FREE community concerts in Charlotte.

Venue
First Baptist Church - West
Address
1801 Oakland Ave., Charlotte, NC 28216
Start Time
7:00 pm
End Time
8:30 pm
Cost
Free