Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Daniel Jacobs Confident: I See Myself Stopping Canelo! - Boxing News

Daniel Jacobs Confident: I See Myself Stopping Canelo!

By Radio Rahim

Former WBA 'regular' middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) was a very interested observer in the recent middleweight clash between Gennady Golovkin and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

Golvkin (37-0-1, 32 KOs) and Canelo (49-1-2, 34 KOs) ended in a controversial twelve round split draw at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Due to the outcome, Golovkin retained the WBA, WBC, IBF, IBO middleweight titles.

Canelo became only the second fighter to go the full twelve round distance with GGG.

jacobs-canelo.jpg

But back in March, Jacobs also went the full twelve round distance with Golovkin at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Jacobs lost a very close twelve round unanimous decision and some felt he may have done enough to squeeze out a win.

Jacobs certainly felt his contest with Golovkin was much closer than Canelo's bout with GGG.

"Canelo didn't really show me anything that I didn't do first. And all credit to Canelo. I thought he went out there and fought his heart out, as best as he could, but I don't think he got the victory or even close to a draw. But, it's a totally different game in there. I'm a full fledged middleweight. My confidence is through the roof now," Jacobs said to BoxingScene.com.

If Jacobs got in the ring with Canelo - provided the Mexican star is unable to finalize a rematch agreement with GGG - the Brooklyn native is confident in his ability to end Canelo inside the distance.

"[How would it end with me and Canelo], I say stoppage. I really feel that coming into who I've become... as a man, as an athlete, as a professional... I really feel that I can go in there and get the job done. What he brings to the table, and I'm not knocking anything, but size matters in boxing, physiques matter... it's different. I'm telling you its different and I do see myself stopping Canelo," Jacobs said.

he has a size advantage but his defense isn't A+ and Canelo definitely gonna land some big counters on him, will he be able to wear them out like Golovkin did?
I would still pick Canelo, Jacobs' best chance is to box from the outside all night and let Canelo come at him but that's usually not his style and I don't see him maintaining a constant pressure all night like Golovkin did either, his chin probably wouldn't hold up if he would do that.

respect to Jacobs though I hope his career pans out well, he has a real power squad behind him now with Hearn, Haymon and HBO.

GGG, Canelo, Jacobs, Jermall, Derevyanchenko, maybe Andrade, Arias...

as trash as this division was even 2 years ago it heated up nicely by now

Would also like to see Jacobs in smw though

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
seems like HBO invests in specific divisions now, 115 and 160 mostly, they want to rule the landscape of this 2 completely and they also have mild interest in 175, 130 and HW

other than those 5 weight divisions though they are almost non existent maybe that will change if Hearn brings more of his fighters plus new American signings to HBO

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Dougie's Monday mailbag (Linares-Campbell and much, much more) - The Ring

Gotta rant about Bud Crawford. Could you explain why he isn’t the #1 P4P fighter in your publication? I know it’s probably because of the weak competition in his divisions but on my eye test, he’s a special talent and the closest thing we’ve seen to Sugar Ray Robinson. He has the very rare ability to throw power punches in spectacular combinations, who doesn’t get tired when he sees a moment of weakness from an opponent and pounces like a panther (Loma and Kovalev are the only two who can do that in my opinion but not like he does). It’s not his fault that there’s no good competition for him around his weight class and I can’t penalize him for that. He’s at the point where he’s embarrassing everyone he faces and you don’t see that level very often. My only fear with him as far as a loss is that it takes about 4 rounds for him to find his rhythm and take over, but I think it’s him just reading out the opponent and finding their faults so he can pounce on it afterwards. He needs to face Mikey Garcia or Errol Spence to find a real challenge. Thoughts?

Regarding Crawford’s case for being the sport’s No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer, I think many fans and members of the media agree with you. He was No. 3 in THE RING’s pound-for-pound rankings (behind Ward and Golovkin) prior to Ward’s retirement, so I have to figure he’s in the running along with GGG to take over the top spot.

I think if you go by the ole “eye test,” Bud or Vasyl Lomachenko (whose currently No. 4) are the pound-for-pound best. If you appreciate a fighter’s dominance/consistency over time and his overall body of work, you may lean toward Golovkin.

You mentioned the relatively “weak competition” Crawford faced during his rise through the lightweight and junior welterweight divisions, and I think that’s the only factor keeping him from No. 1. It’s hard to say for certain that he’s the king of the elite boxers when the four best opponents on his resume are Viktor Postol, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Julius Indongo and either Ricky Burns or Ray Beltran.

Hopefully, a move to welterweight will provide Crawford with elite-level competition.

MoroccanBoy

Madness
Daps
Dougie's Monday mailbag (Linares-Campbell and much, much more) - The Ring

Gotta rant about Bud Crawford. Could you explain why he isn’t the #1 P4P fighter in your publication? I know it’s probably because of the weak competition in his divisions but on my eye test, he’s a special talent and the closest thing we’ve seen to Sugar Ray Robinson. He has the very rare ability to throw power punches in spectacular combinations, who doesn’t get tired when he sees a moment of weakness from an opponent and pounces like a panther (Loma and Kovalev are the only two who can do that in my opinion but not like he does). It’s not his fault that there’s no good competition for him around his weight class and I can’t penalize him for that. He’s at the point where he’s embarrassing everyone he faces and you don’t see that level very often. My only fear with him as far as a loss is that it takes about 4 rounds for him to find his rhythm and take over, but I think it’s him just reading out the opponent and finding their faults so he can pounce on it afterwards. He needs to face Mikey Garcia or Errol Spence to find a real challenge. Thoughts?

Regarding Crawford’s case for being the sport’s No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer, I think many fans and members of the media agree with you. He was No. 3 in THE RING’s pound-for-pound rankings (behind Ward and Golovkin) prior to Ward’s retirement, so I have to figure he’s in the running along with GGG to take over the top spot.

I think if you go by the ole “eye test,” Bud or Vasyl Lomachenko (whose currently No. 4) are the pound-for-pound best. If you appreciate a fighter’s dominance/consistency over time and his overall body of work, you may lean toward Golovkin.

You mentioned the relatively “weak competition” Crawford faced during his rise through the lightweight and junior welterweight divisions, and I think that’s the only factor keeping him from No. 1. It’s hard to say for certain that he’s the king of the elite boxers when the four best opponents on his resume are Viktor Postol, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Julius Indongo and either Ricky Burns or Ray Beltran.

Hopefully, a move to welterweight will provide Crawford with elite-level competition.

I can't put into words how impressed I am with Crawford. He's the best all round fighter in boxing as far as I'm concerned.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Roy Jones: Andre Ward's Place in Boxing History is Near The Top

By Radio Rahim

Last week the boxing world received a shocker, when unified light heavyweight champion Andre Ward announced his retirement from the sport.

According to Ward, the desire was no longer there and his body could no longer put up with the physical demands of the sport.

Ward, only 33 years old, is the reigning WBA, IBF and WBO champion and is widely regarded as one of the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world. Most respected lists have him tabbed as the top pound-for-pound fighter in boxing.

ward-jones-2.jpg

Ward leaves the sport after recording back-to-back wins over Sergey Kovalev, hanging up his gloves with a perfect 32-0 record.

In an interview with ESPN's First Take, Ward said the intensive training camps for title fights had taken a steady toll on his body.

"People see what I do fight night. They see under the lights, but they don't see the toil, they don't see the grind, they don't see just the pain, the physical pain that you go through, not just in the fights, but to prepare and to get ready for those battles," Ward said.

"I felt the physicality of the sport, not just in the ring stuff, but the training and the preparation, start to take its toll on me for the last two or three years, and I bit down and continued to push through, and at this point, it's time, and I know it's time."

Ward was the last American male boxer to win an Olympic gold medal - back in the 2004 Olympic games.

During his run, he was a unified champion at super middleweight and then light heavyweight. He won the Super Six tournament with wins over the top 168-pounders in the world - including Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Sakio Bika and Arthur Abraham.

One of Ward's idols, former four division world champion Roy Jones Jr., believes the unbeaten boxer deserves a high position in boxing history.

"I don't know where his place in boxing history is, but it's near the top because he was very dominant in his time. There were not many things that people could do to him. He beat a lot of people in a lot of different ways. He showed a lot of versatility. He was a great fighter, one of the greatest champions to me, pound for pound the best, and I thought he had a brilliant career," Jones explained to BoxingScene.com.

Roy Jones: Andre Ward's Place in Boxing History is Near The Top - Boxing News

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
I can't put into words how impressed I am with Crawford. He's the best all round fighter in boxing as far as I'm concerned.

Ima need to see him apply those skills against a higher level of competition before Im willing to cosign this statement.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
boxing was damn good this past weekend. ESPN card DEF delivered, looks like Parker v Fury was a solid scrap, and the Linares card was good too

you mean dorticos-kudryashov was a decent scrap..parker-fury was some struggle as it went on

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio