Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I this the most ambitious move by a British promoter in a long time? What was the last time somebody from the UK tried to expand his business to the US? Love him or hate him Hearn is a good promoter in the UK I hope he succeeds in the US too.

Hearn Reveals Big Plans For U.S. Market, Being a Force on HBO

By Radio Rahim

Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport is the top boxing promoter in the UK.

On Saturday night, he officially began his anticipated expansion to the American market.

Back in the UK, Hearn promotes numerous top fighters, current world champions and signed the majority of the top UK Olympians from the 2012 and 2016 classes.

hearn.jpg

BoxingScene.com first reported on Saturday night, that Hearn made his first major signing - former WBA "regular" champion Daniel Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs), who is coming off a very impressive performance against middleweight king Gennady Golovkin in March.

Hearn also assisted, along with Jacobs' manager Keith Connolly, in securing the Brooklyn boxer a lucrative multi-fight agreement with HBO.

Jacobs will not be the last American fighter that Hearn signs up - but he's not going to make the mistake of bringing too many fighters on board - at least right away.

"I'm not going to make the mistake of signing too many fighters and then not being able to deliver my promises on the dates. We expect to sign a handful of fighters, initially... make sure they are active, make an example of them, give them a wonderful survive and then in time we'll grow. Now I'm looking to do between four and six shows in the U.S. next year.... that's it... in year one, and then we'll see where it takes us," Hearn detailed to BoxingScene.com.

In the last few years, Hearn has promoted some monster events in the UK. This past April, Hearn was the lead promoter of massive event at Wembley in London - where 90,000 fans came out to watch Hearn's star fighter, Anthony Joshua, stop Wladimir Klitschko to unify the IBF, IBO, WBA heavyweight titles.

Hearn's continued success has been due in part to his exclusive content deal with Sky Sports. Of course the British promoter would love to have the same type of setup with HBO in a few years.

"Probably won't be long that I'm the exclusive provider of content to HBO like I am at Sky. But that might be years down the road. I've got to prove myself in this market. It's not like I'm just going to show up on the East Coast and say 'hey I'm Eddie Hearn, are you all going to come by and buy tickets.' It's not going to work like that. We have to bring something different. We have to make boxing sexy again and we have to make it a night out," Hearn said.

"You've seen it in the UK, time and time again. It's very different, you know. Maybe its a cultural thing. Maybe the Brits just like to go and get drunk, dance around and have a good time. But I believe everyone likes to do that, so why not the Americans as well. Try my shows, see if you like it and grow with us."

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I don't have a P4P #1 now

the guys who look the best based on eye test like Crawford, Loma or Rigo don't have the resume
Golovkin lately looked worse and he also doesn't have the resume, a win over Jacobs is good but t won't make anyone #1 P4P
Based strictly on resume Thurman and Spence both have a case as they have some of the best wins n the sport now but I can't give them the #1 spot either
Canelo has good wins but his last fight being a draw he also can't be #1 for me...

If Rigo beats Loma he's automatically #1 P4P probably regardless of how the GGG vs Canelo rematch ends
if Loma beats Rigo that won't make him #1 P4P instantly cause then we will just find out that the skilled big guy beat the skilled small guy again... that fight is a win-win for Rigo, if he loses he lost while he jumped 2 divisions, if he wins then it's one of the greatest achievements from a fighter in recent years, for Loma I wouldn't say that the fight is a lose-lose,he would still get props for beating Rigo but definitely not a win-win either and a possible Loma win wouldn't be seen in the same light as a Rigo win due to the 2 division difference between them.

So if Rigo wins he's P4P #1 if Loma wins it remains open until Canelo vs Golovkin rematch

except if something big what we don't see coming yet happening until then, for example if someone would beat Thurman... or if Thurman would defeat Spence.

either way at least until the 9th of December or possibly even longer we will be again in a period when there is no true P4P kingpin, like the post Mayweather times until Ward vs Kovalev II, I write II cause that was the time everybody accepted Ward as P4P #1.

Last edited:

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California

the guys who look the best based on eye test like Crawford, Loma or Rigo don't have the resume
Golovkin lately looked worse and he also doesn't have the resume, a win over Jacobs is good but t won't make anyone #1 P4P
Based strictly on resume Thurman and Spence both have a case as they have some of the best wins n the sport now but I can't give them the #1 spot either
Canelo has good wins but his last fight being a draw he also can't be #1 for me...

If Rigo beats Loma he's automatically #1 P4P probably regardless of how the GGG vs Canelo rematch ends
if Loma beats Rigo that won't make him #1 P4P instantly cause then we will just find out that the skilled big guy beat the skilled small guy again... that fight is a win-win for Rigo, if he loses he lost while he jumped 2 divisions, if he wins then it's one of the greatest achievements from a fighter in recent years, for Loma I wouldn't say that the fight is a lose-lose,he would still get props for beating Rigo but definitely not a win-win either and a possible Loma win wouldn't be seen in the same light as a Rigo win due to the 2 division difference between them.

So if Rigo wins he's P4P #1 if Loma wins it remains open until Canelo vs Golovkin rematch

except if something big what we don't see coming yet happening until then, for example if someone would beat Thurman... or if Thurman would defeat Spence.

either way at least until the 9th of December or possibly even longer we will be again in a period where there is no true P4P kingpin, like the post Mayweather times until Ward vs Kovalev II, I write II cause that was the time everybody accepted Ward as P4P #1.
U don’t consider triple g but would Spence :mindblown:

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
read it again man... :comeon:

I listed why I don't consider any of them P4P #1
U really want to consider them cuz u brought there names up.

Triple g has dominated the middleweight division like no other, beat Danny and had a draw vs canelo back to back. Be fair he deserves to be there.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
U really want to consider them cuz u brought there names up.

Triple g has dominated the middleweight division like no other, beat Danny and had a draw vs canelo back to back. Be fair he deserves to be there.

No, Golovkin is not clearly the #1 fighter of the world. Don't :cape: man...

Neither if I go by resume nor if I go by "who would win if all of them would be in the same division".
But one of the fighters out there has both of those so there's no clear P4P kingpin

I brought up Spence's name, yes cause he has one of the best wins in boxing, also Thurman and I would also add Sor.

But none of the above is clear #1

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
No, Golovkin is not clearly the #1 fighter of the world. Don't :cape: man...

Neither if I go by resume nor if I go by "who would win if all of them would be in the same division".
But one of the fighters out there has both of those so there's no clear P4P kingpin

I brought up Spence's name, yes cause he has one of the best wins in boxing, also Thurman and I would also add Sor.

But none of the above is clear #1
Spence has some of the best wins?:gucci:

If triple g isn’t number 1 then who is?... someone has to be, u just don’t want one to be at the moment cuz he is the one.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps

Based strictly on resume Thurman and Spence both have a case as they have some of the best wins n the sport
now but I can't give them the #1 spot either

either way at least until the 9th of December or possibly even longer we will be again in a period when there is no true P4P kingpin, like the post Mayweather times until Ward vs Kovalev II, I write II cause that was the time everybody accepted Ward as P4P #1.

Keith Thurman or Errol Spence has a better case as #1 P4P over GGG, Loma, or Rigo????????:dahell:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Spence has some of the best wins?:gucci:

If triple g isn’t number 1 then who is?... someone has to be, u just don’t want one to be at the moment cuz he is the one.
I'm in the lucky situation that I'm not a magazine or site who has to have a #1 P4P but a person so I can rest this case until somebody truly set himself apart from the pack.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Keith Thurman or Errol Spence has a better case as #1 P4P over GGG, Loma, or Rigo????????:dahell:
Where did I say that?
I said based on resume or best win they have a case, they have a case for it from a different approach than the other three, cause their best wins are better except Rigo' win over Donaire but that was a long time ago.
Spence have a thinner case maybe cause he really only has that one big win but he stopped a legitimate top 3 guy in one of the if not the strongest division out there, who else can say that? King Sor and that's it.

But this was the point of my whole post. Different guys have case for it for different reasons but none of them can make a strong case therefor there' no clear P4P kingpin

You can have Crawford, Loma, Rigo, Sor, Thurman, Canelo, GGG, even Spence as P4P #1 it's cool to me but none of them is a true P4P king like Ward was in this last couple of months or Mayweather was before his retirement. The new P4P #1 will be like how Chocolatito was #1, they had to put somebody there so they picked a fighter from the pack a very good fighter indeed but one who also hasn't convincingly set himself apart from the P4P competition.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Where did I say that?
I said based on resume or best win they have a case, they have a case for it from a different approach than the other three, cause their best wins are better except Rigo' win over Donaire but that was a long time ago.

Spence have a thinner case maybe cause he really only has that one big win but he stopped a legitimate top 3 guy in one of the if not the strongest division out there, who else can say that? King Sor and that's it.

But this was the point of my whole post. Different guys have case for it for different reasons but none of them can make a strong case therefor there' no clear P4P kingpin

You can have Crawford, Loma, Rigo, Sor, Thurman, Canelo, GGG, even Spence as P4P #1 it's cool to me but none of them is a true P4P king like Ward was in this last couple of months or Mayweather was before his retirement. The new P4P #1 will be like how Chocolatito was #1, they had to put somebody there so they picked a fighter from the pack a very good fighter indeed but one who also hasn't convincingly set himself apart from the P4P competition.

You just said it yourself again:dead:

Aint no way Thurman or Spence has a better case for #1 P4P over GGG, Loma, or Rigo....period to me.