Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
@ChocolateGiddyUp @King P

Felix Verdejo Injures Wrist, Withdraws From Lozada Fight

By Miguel Rivera

The streak of bad luck that has plagued boxer Felix Verdejo since last year continues.

According to Ricky Marquez, the manager and trainer of the undefeated Olympian, the boxer injured his right wrist while showering in Big Bear Lake, California, and will now return home to Puerto Rico.

Last year, Verdejo was involved in a motorcycle accident and suffered numerous injuries that derailed a planned fight with WBO champion Terry Flanagan.

verdejo-diaz%20(18).jpg

Verdejo, 24, was scheduled to face Antonio Lozada on September 22 in Tucson, Arizona. The Puerto Rican, 23-0 with 15 KOs, has not fought since February 2, when he defeated Oliver Flores by unanimous decision. That had been his first fight since his motorbike accident on August 7, 2016.

Verdejo has looked lackluster in his last few fights, which is why he was sent to Big Bear, California to train.

The most recent injury came while the boxer was showering.

"He slipped in the tub and when he fell he twisted his right wrist ," Marquez said to Jose Sanchez. "We took him to a doctor in Big Bear and because of the swelling he told us [Felix] should go two to three weeks without using it. We returned to Puerto Rico today."

Márquez added that although the swell had dropped in the last few hours, at first sight it was obvious that Verdejo would not be able to fight on September 22 as planned. The fight with Lozada was set to keep Verdejo busy while Flanagan recovers from a leg injury.

"The main thing is going to be to immobilize him until he recovers. When he is recovered, we will see when we return to the ring," explained Marquez.

The team training at Big Bear, which includes prospects Henry 'Moncho' Lebrón and Jean Carlos 'Lobito' Torres, among others, will leave California in the afternoon and arrive in Puerto Rico tomorrow at dawn.

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps

The main trend, confirmed by the tournament, is that there’s no more dominant powerhouse in amateur boxing than Cuba. After a decade of relative inconsistency and fuss amateur boxing’s greatest nation was… well, at its greatest, winning exactly half of all the gold at the tourney. Some of young Cubans are worth of a specific look at, and the most careful look should be aimed at 28-year old light heavyweight Julio Cesar La Cruz.

The dominant light heavyweight of the 10’s won his fourth consecutive gold medal in addition to 2016 Rio Olympics gold medal. He is the only Olympic gold medalist to win in the WC a year after Rio 2016. Two other Cubans worth looking at is a two-time world champion Joahnys Argilagos, who is 20, and veteran flyweight Yosbany Veitia.

One trend, which was partially confirmed, is a rise of Uzbekistan. However, this time the Middle Eastern nation wasn’t as successful as it was a year ago in Rio, failing to capture more than a single gold. Yet, it was enough – in addition to a trio of silver medals (all being captured in Cuba vs. Uzbekistan duels) – to edge bitter rivals from Kazakhstan in an intriguing Middle Eastern rivalry.

The negative trend is a continuing downfall of the Russian national boxing team, which was unable to win a single gold medal for the first time in eighteen years. However, taking into account all of the former Soviet Republics, the ex-USSR virtual team would have heavily dominated all but the Cubans, had it been able to compete as a unified team with 4 gold, 6 silver and 9 bronze medals, the rest of the world (save for Cuba of course) getting just 1 gold, 2 silver and 11 bronze medals.

USA was a bit luckier with an extra bronze a year ago in Rio. Also, veteran super heavyweight Magomedrasul Medjidov from Azerbajian got his third gold medal a hard way but he is still to win an Olympic gold medal.

FINAL STANDINGS

1. Cuba – 5 gold, 2 silver
2. Uzbekistan – 1 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze
3. Kazakhstan – 1 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze
4. Azerbaijan – 1 gold, 1 bronze
5-6. Ukraine and France – 1 gold
7. USA – 1 silver, 2 bronze
8. Russia – 1 silver, 1 bronze
9. Ireland – 1 silver
10-20. Armenia, UK, Equador, Colombia, Georgia, Mongolia, Germany, India, South Korea, Australia, Cameroon – 1 bronze

The LHW deserves Julio Cesar La Cruz somebody needs to get him to the states
:wow:

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps

”I do not expect anything from Roman [Gonzalez] in this fight, I expect to win and beat Roman again,” stated Rungvisai. I trained a lot since the very first time. I guarantee that boxing fans will not be disappointed with the rematch, bececause I intend to punch this time. That would be great, I want boxing fans to watch me punch on the biggest stage. I will show everyone that I am very intent.”

”I want Roman to come see me, I am not as popular as Roman but I have a strong mind, and of course and most importantly I’m coming to fight I will do my best”

”I was very happy when I see my siblings in Thailand. They had a smile, and my family was happy, I was very happy too, there was a lot of happiness,” I went back to Thailand straight away after the first fight, I just did not stop working, and then I entered the training camp for the rematch,” said Rungvisai.

Rungvisai believes he still hasn’t shown the world what he is capable of at his best, and plans to showcase that in a much more convincing win on September 9th.

”I have met all these people through my career and since the the win and I am very happy. I was a poor child once and until then, no one was interested, today they are and I am very happy.”

”I want boxing fans around the world to see how a small boxer from poverty and struggling, got himself to the world stage. I want you to see my heart full of hope through that and my fights. I hope everyone accepts me.”

Two wins over Chocolatito

:banderas:

- King Sor