Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps

Sooooooooooooo....if Canelo vs Lemieux happens on PPV on Cinco De Mayo, are we gonna pan this matchup like we did GGG vs Lemieux on PPV or nah?:jbhmm:

I liked GGG-Lemieux and I like Canelo-Lemieux. Lemieux is a hard puncher and is a pretty tough dude. He should give Canelo some rounds and force him to show his superior skills because you have to remain honest because of his power. Lemieux isn't very dynamic, so a more polished fighter should beat him if you stick to your game plan.

Lemieux was a top 10 MW for the GGG fight and I still consider him a top 10 MW now. Totally respectable if it was Canelo's first fight at full fledged 160. Of course I want the Canelo-GGG fight sooner than later, but I never have had a problem with Canelo wanting a fight at the full 160 before GGG (now taking a fight at 154 after saying you want GGG :jbhmm:). I always find it interesting when people expect a guy to move up a weight class and immediately fight the best fighter there. When a fighter does that :salute:, but I would say that is the exception, not the norm and it is in most cases in the fighters best interest to acclimate themselves and put themselves in the best situation to succeed.

Edit: When it comes to the PPV :yeshrug:. It is what it is. I won't buy, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. Canelo can sell, so if they think it is worthwhile than they should do it. Since I know I wouldn't pay for it, my own selfish reasons hope it would be on regular HBO.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I liked GGG-Lemieux and I like Canelo-Lemieux. Lemieux is a hard puncher and is a pretty tough dude. He should give Canelo some rounds and force him to show his superior skills because you have to remain honest because of his power. Lemieux isn't very dynamic, so a more polished fighter should beat him if you stick to your game plan.

Lemieux was a top 10 MW for the GGG fight and I still consider him a top 10 MW now. Totally respectable if it was Canelo's first fight at full fledged 160. Of course I want the Canelo-GGG fight sooner than later, but I never have had a problem with Canelo wanting a fight at the full 160 before GGG (now taking a fight at 154 after saying you want GGG :jbhmm:). I always find it interesting when people expect a guy to move up a weight class and immediately fight the best fighter there. When a fighter does that :salute:, but I would say that is the exception, not the norm and it is in most cases in the fighters best interest to acclimate themselves and put themselves in the best situation to succeed.

Edit: When it comes to the PPV :yeshrug:. It is what it is. I won't buy, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. Canelo can sell, so if they think it is worthwhile than they should do it. Since I know I wouldn't pay for it, my own selfish reasons hope it would be on regular HBO.

If GGG vs Lemieux, which was a Unification bout, and before GGG stopped him was panned by The Ring as a weak PPV fight, then Lemieux fighting Canelo (after being KOd by GGG and having 0 belts) with 0 belts on the line is even worse....that's if we're gonna follow the #Consistency tagline:manny:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
If GGG vs Lemieux, which was a Unification bout, and before GGG stopped him was panned by The Ring as a weak PPV fight, then Lemieux fighting Canelo (after being KOd by GGG and having 0 belts) with 0 belts on the line is even worse....that's if we're gonna follow the #Consistency tagline:manny:
From a lot of the board yes. I actually liked GGG-Lemieux. Knowing who was out there for opponents, the fact GGG wanted to unify, plus it put GGG's team in closer contact to GB for Canelo...I was down with it.

I don't have a problem with Canelo fighting Lemieux. I view Lemieux as a decent opponent who provides an interesting matchup. Especially considering that Canelo will be moving from "155" to 160 and Lemieux is a bigger 160, I have no issues.

Again as @LauderdaleBoss boss said, not everything is apples to apples, and sometimes consistency is keeping your own opinion consistent, not just the head-to-head fact trail. If Canelo-Lemieux was made for May, I would look forward to it and would hope it was on regular HBO because I would want to watch it without the PPV extra price. But I will always understand if Canelo puts a fight on PPV. At this point he is basically doing it for the fans if he puts it on regular HBO, if his fight vs. Smith can sell 300k.

If I had a preferred Cinco de Mayo matchup for Canelo it still is BJS, because that would add the extra fukkery of Canelo getting that one belt GGG wants and is the one true way to build a September GGG-Canelo fight into a bigger monster than it already is. Of course I wouldn't have a problem if GGG fights and beats Jacobs in December and himself fights BJS early next year and unifies before a fall Canelo fight. BJS is now coming out saying he prefers to fight GGG early next year over Canelo (which he admitted would pay more) because of the unification. Warren has said they are in preliminary talks with both Canelo and GGG. And of course when it comes to BJS it may be just who cares...since he runs his mouth and has never backed any of it up.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
From a lot of the board yes. I actually liked GGG-Lemieux. Knowing who was out there for opponents, the fact GGG wanted to unify, plus it put GGG's team in closer contact to GB for Canelo...I was down with it.

I don't have a problem with Canelo fighting Lemieux. I view Lemieux as a decent opponent who provides an interesting matchup. Especially considering that Canelo will be moving from "155" to 160 and Lemieux is a bigger 160, I have no issues.

Again as @LauderdaleBoss boss said, not everything is apples to apples, and sometimes consistency is keeping your own opinion consistent, not just the head-to-head fact trail. If Canelo-Lemieux was made for May, I would look forward to it and would hope it was on regular HBO because I would want to watch it without the PPV extra price. But I will always understand if Canelo puts a fight on PPV. At this point he is basically doing it for the fans if he puts it on regular HBO, if his fight vs. Smith can sell 300k.

If I had a preferred Cinco de Mayo matchup for Canelo it still is BJS, because that would add the extra fukkery of Canelo getting that one belt GGG wants and is the one true way to build a September GGG-Canelo fight into a bigger monster than it already is. Of course I wouldn't have a problem if GGG fights and beats Jacobs in December and himself fights BJS early next year and unifies before a fall Canelo fight. BJS is now coming out saying he prefers to fight GGG early next year over Canelo (which he admitted would pay more) because of the unification. Warren has said they are in preliminary talks with both Canelo and GGG. And of course when it comes to BJS it may be just who cares...since he runs his mouth and has never backed any of it up.

My opinion is the same as it was for GGG vs Lemieux....Lemieux is just an okay MW who's limited and a sitting duck for Canelo. He's a B fighter. Him vs Canelo doesn't deserve PPV privileges and is not a good matchup on PPV. Now, if it was regular HBO, then ok...but it it isn't then :camby:

Lemieux is even worse now than when he faced GGG though, because he's now beltless and last time he was seen in a Championship fight, he was seen getting stopped. Plus, I thought nothing of his win over Hassan N'Dam to get the belt in the first place, because I don't rate N'Dam highly either.

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
AMIR KHAN EYES FEBRUARY/MARCH RETURN; DETAILS TWO SURGERIES TO REPAIR HAND: "I WAS NEVER AT 100%"
By Ben Thompson | October 05, 2016
amirkhan2.jpg

"So what they had to do, they had to put 7 screws inside. They had to do 2 operations on it. The first operation was 4 hours long and the second operation was 2 hours long. It was crazy, bro. I mean, the doctor could not believe I kept fighting with a hand like that. I was losing at least 60% power...I can't run; I can't swim. I'm in a really awkward position. But the doctors did say the healing process is going well and hopefully I'll be fighting again in February or March," stated former world champion Amir Khan, who talked about his future plans to return to the ring and gave details about his two surgeries to repair his broken right hand. Check it out!

BT: What's up, bro? Everything good?

AK: Yeah, I had that hand operation. Obviously it's recovering well, so I'll be back early next year.

BT: Yeah, I saw that you had surgery. How did that go?

AK: It went really well. The doctor said, "I can't believe you kept fighting still with that hand." He said the problem was crazy. So what they had to do, they had to put 7 screws inside. They had to do 2 operations on it. The first operation was 4 hours long and the second operation was 2 hours long. It was crazy, bro. I mean, the doctor could not believe I kept fighting with a hand like that. I was losing at least 60% power. People don't know that, bro. I used to training through pain, fight through pain, and that's the type of guy I am. I never gave up. Obviously an injury like my hand injury could have definitely, if it was anyone else, I think their career would have been over.

BT: Did you know prior to the Canelo fight that this was something you needed to get done?

AK: Yeah! For the last 10 years, I kept saying, "I'm going to get it done. I'm going to get it done!" It used to be painful. Before the Canelo fight, that's when it hit me because I thought to myself, "I'm going to get this fixed." I was in the changing room before I walked into the ring and I had the Everlast gloves on; I wore the ones I picked. I put my hand inside and when I was hitting the pads, I could feel a sharp pain shooting through my right hand. I said to Virgil, "I need to change my gloves." Virgil got the second pair; same problem again. I thought, "You know what, fukk it! Adrenaline's going to take over. I won't feel the pain and I'll be alright." So I just kept the gloves on and I just went in the ring.

I don't tell people this because they'll say, "Amir's using this as an excuse." I mean, I thought I'm going to fix it because mentally I want to be 100%. I was never at 100% in any fight. I would go into a fight knowing I've got hand injuries, so I have to throw more jabs. Just think about it; that's why my jab is probably one of the best jabs in boxing because I can only use my left at 100%. My right hand is so fukked that the jab had to do three times the work just to keep the right hand out of action and keep winning fights. Wait until you see the pictures, bro. The pictures don't lie, bro, you know what I mean. So what's happened is they took the hip bone; they took a bone graft from my hip bone. Normally I like to do cardio to keep fit, but because of the hip bone, I can't run. I can't do upper body or lower body. I'm fukked both ways. I can't run; I can't swim. I'm in a really awkward position. But the doctors did say the healing process is going well and hopefully I'll be fighting again in February or March.

Khan is the best :mjlol:

He won't be fighting til May...all the extra weight he put on for Canelo...now his hand is fukked N he can't do cardio... Feb or March is dreaming :beli:

WBC need to choose a new #1 contender Khan won't be ready for a damn year from now :martin:

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
His Boxing skill is so nice to watch....I can watch gifs of Andrade all day:ohlawd:

Yuzo, do you mind giving your opinion & breakdown on how a potential Canelo vs Andrade fight plays out?:lupe:

big thing is being hung out on the end of andrades punches from across the ring. must overextend his punches to compensate for this and andrade can see this coming from across the ring. very good counter puncher and can hit andrade with a big shot. but can wait too much to counter creating many dead gaps and andrade is good at filling in dead gaps. has a tendency to overcompensate for dead gaps created from waiting to counter by throwing punches in short quick bursts. andrade can take these away with one step back.

kzeVH9nY.gif

may or may not hurt andrade. probably cant outwork andrade. so he probably must hurt andrade to win. big question mark here. not sure he can. not sure he cant. i think andrade wins.

The hesitation between the 1 and the 2, is a trick that you don't see many fighters use anymore. I always thought for not as fast handed guys, it was a great move, b/c your opponent goes to defend the 2 and you can break their guard/hit them with a punch they don't expect.

hesitation between a jab and a right hand was a roberto duran move. my favorite hesitation move was this muhammad ali move.

x9EMT0ZL.gif

hang the jab in front of the eyes.

jhRwx0v1.gif

drop the right hand.

5olNJGap.gif

i wish more guys used hesitation moves these days.

Last edited:

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
big thing is being hung out on the end of andrades punches from across the ring. must overextend his punches to compensate for this and andrade can see this coming from across the ring. very good counter puncher and can hit andrade with a big shot. but can wait too much to counter creating many dead gaps and andrade is good at filling in dead gaps. has a tendency to overcompensate for dead gaps created from waiting to counter by throwing punches in short bursts. andrade can take these away with one step back.

kzeVH9nY.gif

may or may not hurt andrade. probably cant outwork andrade. so he must hurt andrade to win. big question mark here. i think andrade wins.

hesitation between a jab and a right hand was a roberto duran move. my favorite hesitation move was this muhammad ali move.

x9EMT0ZL.gif

hang the jab in front of the eyes.

jhRwx0v1.gif

drop the right hand.

5olNJGap.gif

i wish more guys used hesitation moves these days.
Great breakdown.