Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Billy Joe Saunders' Mouth Writing Checks His Fists Refuse to Cash

Billy Joe Saunders has become a shining example of everything that is wrong with boxing today.
He’s a talker who refuses to become a walker.

The WBO middleweight champion will make the first defense of the title he won from Andy Lee last December when he tangles with relatively unknown Russian Artur Akavov on Oct. 22 at MotorpointArena in Cardiff, Wales, per Dan Rafael of ESPN.com.

This, apparently, is the one Saunders felt everyone was waiting for after seeing the last 10 months of his mouth running produce zero meaningful rounds.
The decision to face Akavov is an insult to the fans and shows the Brit simply isn’t serious about accepting the type of challenges he talks about whenever presented with a camera and a social media platform.

Akavov only carries one loss on his ledger—which came in 2012 against an opponent with four fights—but he doesn’t rate in the top 10 of the WBO’s most recent rankings (or that of any sanctioning body) and hasn’t fought a single round against world-class opposition.

But the Brit was hellbent on facing him.
Just look at the fights he turned down to get this one.
Saunders was offered a primo slot as the main support bout forCanelo Alvarez’s September 154-pound title showdown with Liam Smith on American pay-per-view before what turned out to be more than 50,000 fans at AT&T Stadium in Dallas.

Rafael reported at the time that it was dealer’s choice.
The champion was reportedly given his pick between veteran contenders Gabe Rosado, Willie Monroe Jr. and Curtis Stevens. None of them are world-beaters, and Saunders would be favored to defeat each one and had a pretty considerable back-end guarantee.
That guarantee included massive exposure to an American television audience and a possible chance to defend his belt against Canelo—the biggest commercial draw in the sport—in what figured to be the most lucrative start of his career.

Weigh that up for a second.
A winnable fight and exposure followed by the biggest star in the sport and a boatload of cash.
Not good enough. Get Saunders some anonymous Russian nobody has ever heard of before.
Make sense?

That’d be a terrible look for any fighter, but it’s particularly bad for a guy such as Saunders, who has been extremely vocal since winning his belt.
He briefly flirted with the idea of stepping up to challenge unified middleweight champion—and the sport’s resident wrecking ball—Gennady Golovkin before deciding a seven-figure payday was insufficient.

In his defense, how do you place a fair value on what’ll likely be just a few minutes of work on fight night and necessitate taking meals from a straw for a few weeks?

Saunders also posted a message via Twitter on Sept. 10, shortly afterGGG scored his 23rd consecutive knockout victory by forcing Kell Brook’s corner to pull the plug after its fighter suffered a broken eye socket (h/t the Sun).

He told him to pick a date and he'd be ready.

It’s a testament to how far his stock has fallen that few, if any, in the boxing media and fandom took his repeated reiterations that he wanted GGG seriously. It looked self-serving, and it was.

Instead, we get Akavov, who, no matter how much spin comes from Saunders or his promoter, Frank Warren, is wholly undeserving of a championship opportunity. But that won’t stop them from trying to pretend this fight is meaningful.

“This is Bill’s first fight in 10 months,” Warren said, per Rafael. “The Russian is a tough guy who is capable of making things awkward. Hopefully, Bill will shake off the ring rust with a successful defense to set up a superfight for early [in the new] year.”

It’s only his first fight in 10 months because he turned down challenge after challenge. It's not like it was an accident or he was hurt. He chose not to fight.
As it turns out, he ended up in exactly the fight he wanted—which says a lot—even if nobody else wanted it.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps

3rd Of October 2016: The Day That Boxing Died. :mjcry:

Tyson Fury Runs Wild, Going Bonkers With Retirement Hoax - Boxing News

Controversial world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury made an abrupt U-turn on his retirement decision on Monday, tweeting: "I'm here to stay."
"Hahahaha u think you will get rid of the GYPSYKING that easy!!! I'm here to stay," Fury wrote on Twitter. "#TheGreatest just shows u what the Medea (sic) are like. Tut tut."

He added: "Soon as I get better I'll be defending what's mine the heavyweight thrown (sic)."

The provocative 28-year-old British brawler, dogged by reports he failed a drugs test for cocaine, had earlier declared himself "retired" in a profanity-strewn tweet.
"Boxing is the saddest thing I ever took part in, all a pile of s***," he had written three hours earlier. "I'm the greatest and I'm also retired..."

Reports by US broadcaster ESPN last week claimed Fury had tested positive for cocaine.
The British fighter recently cancelled an October bout with Wladimir Klitschko to defend his WBA, IBO and WBO heavyweight belts.
Fury had been scheduled to earn the biggest purse of his career in a rematch with Klitschko at the Manchester Arena after shocking the Ukrainian last November to become world champion.

However, Fury withdrew from that date as his camp claimed he had been "declared mentally unfit to fight".
ESPN reported Fury tested positive after providing a urine sample to the Las Vegas-based Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) in Lancaster, England on September 22.
Cocaine, while an illegal drug, is not banned in boxing if taken out of competition.

In between his two Twitter announcements, Fury posted a link to a YouTube video in which he said George Kokkalenios, an American lawyer, was "telling the truth about the corruption in boxing".
The video showed Kokkalenios at the wheel of a car, talking to an unidentified person behind the camera and suggesting Klitschko was somehow involved in the cocaine reports about Fury.
"What's going on with Tyson is really a major travesty," he said.
"He's getting railroaded. He's been completely railroaded by crooked people. He's not on drugs -- I know that for a fact. He's not taking anything, he's not doping. The system is corrupt and that's it.
"Klitschko, he is definitely involved in this because he's got everyone in his pocket. I'm not saying he's a bad man at all, but I can tell you this for a fact: his wealth carries a lot of influence."

Fury made light of the reports in a previous Twitter post on Saturday.
He tweeted a picture of Tony Montana, played by Al Pacino in the film Scarface, sitting at a table with a pile of cocaine in front of him.
Fury imposed his own face onto the picture, which he captioned "#Tysonmontana".

Fury, the self-styled 'Gypsy King', also won the IBF belt in his fight against Klitschko, but had to forfeit it after failing to fulfil a mandatory bout against Vyacheslav Glazkov.
A previously scheduled rematch with Klitschko, set for July 9, was scrapped after Fury sustained an ankle injury.

Following the cancellation of that fight, it emerged that UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) had charged Fury and his cousin, Hughie, with a doping offence. They deny wrongdoing.
The sample, taken nine months prior to Fury's sensational victory over Klitschko, contained traces of the banned substance nandrolone.
Fury was provisionally suspended, but his ban has since been lifted and his legal team have threatened action against UKAD.

He is due to face a hearing in November and could be stripped of his titles if found guilty.
British promoter Eddie Hearn recently said Fury would never fight again, prompting his trainer and uncle, Peter Fury, to claim his nephew would be back in action next year.

Fury has courted almost constant controversy since winning the world title, angering many with a series of highly sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic comments.

Does this guy actually think his positive tests were faked and that Klitschko was behind it? :francis:

I hate watching Wlad fight, but why did he have to lose to Fury...this guy is a joke and is getting what he wants, taking his fukkery lifestyle and making the HW division the same. Your 15 minutes are up. :camby:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Tyson Fury Runs Wild, Going Bonkers With Retirement Hoax - Boxing News

Controversial world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury made an abrupt U-turn on his retirement decision on Monday, tweeting: "I'm here to stay."
"Hahahaha u think you will get rid of the GYPSYKING that easy!!! I'm here to stay," Fury wrote on Twitter. "#TheGreatest just shows u what the Medea (sic) are like. Tut tut."

He added: "Soon as I get better I'll be defending what's mine the heavyweight thrown (sic)."

The provocative 28-year-old British brawler, dogged by reports he failed a drugs test for cocaine, had earlier declared himself "retired" in a profanity-strewn tweet.
"Boxing is the saddest thing I ever took part in, all a pile of s***," he had written three hours earlier. "I'm the greatest and I'm also retired..."

Reports by US broadcaster ESPN last week claimed Fury had tested positive for cocaine.
The British fighter recently cancelled an October bout with Wladimir Klitschko to defend his WBA, IBO and WBO heavyweight belts.
Fury had been scheduled to earn the biggest purse of his career in a rematch with Klitschko at the Manchester Arena after shocking the Ukrainian last November to become world champion.

However, Fury withdrew from that date as his camp claimed he had been "declared mentally unfit to fight".
ESPN reported Fury tested positive after providing a urine sample to the Las Vegas-based Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) in Lancaster, England on September 22.
Cocaine, while an illegal drug, is not banned in boxing if taken out of competition.

In between his two Twitter announcements, Fury posted a link to a YouTube video in which he said George Kokkalenios, an American lawyer, was "telling the truth about the corruption in boxing".
The video showed Kokkalenios at the wheel of a car, talking to an unidentified person behind the camera and suggesting Klitschko was somehow involved in the cocaine reports about Fury.
"What's going on with Tyson is really a major travesty," he said.
"He's getting railroaded. He's been completely railroaded by crooked people. He's not on drugs -- I know that for a fact. He's not taking anything, he's not doping. The system is corrupt and that's it.
"Klitschko, he is definitely involved in this because he's got everyone in his pocket. I'm not saying he's a bad man at all, but I can tell you this for a fact: his wealth carries a lot of influence."

Fury made light of the reports in a previous Twitter post on Saturday.
He tweeted a picture of Tony Montana, played by Al Pacino in the film Scarface, sitting at a table with a pile of cocaine in front of him.
Fury imposed his own face onto the picture, which he captioned "#Tysonmontana".

Fury, the self-styled 'Gypsy King', also won the IBF belt in his fight against Klitschko, but had to forfeit it after failing to fulfil a mandatory bout against Vyacheslav Glazkov.
A previously scheduled rematch with Klitschko, set for July 9, was scrapped after Fury sustained an ankle injury.

Following the cancellation of that fight, it emerged that UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) had charged Fury and his cousin, Hughie, with a doping offence. They deny wrongdoing.
The sample, taken nine months prior to Fury's sensational victory over Klitschko, contained traces of the banned substance nandrolone.
Fury was provisionally suspended, but his ban has since been lifted and his legal team have threatened action against UKAD.

He is due to face a hearing in November and could be stripped of his titles if found guilty.
British promoter Eddie Hearn recently said Fury would never fight again, prompting his trainer and uncle, Peter Fury, to claim his nephew would be back in action next year.

Fury has courted almost constant controversy since winning the world title, angering many with a series of highly sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic comments.

Does this guy actually think his positive tests were faked and that Klitschko was behind it? :francis:

I hate watching Wlad fight, but why did he have to lose to Fury...this guy is a joke and is getting what he wants, taking his fukkery lifestyle and making the HW division the same. Your 15 minutes are up. :camby:

:whoo:

VADA catches another one:ohlawd:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I mean weed as a thing is banned for boxers

Chavez Jr. for example got caught with it.
I don't like Chavez Jr. at all but I never understood what's wrong with weed for pro athletes.
Oh. But usage of any banned substance (recreational) will get you a fine or temp ban.
Tyson v galota resulted in NC due to mike failing a test for weed.

Dumb!!

Last edited:

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
I mean weed as a thing is banned for boxers

Chavez Jr. for example got caught with it.
I don't like Chavez Jr. at all but I never understood what's wrong with weed for pro athletes.
I think that was a misleading statement in the article. Didn't JCC get caught with weed in his fight mandated drug tests. Seems like Fury's were the same, hence why he is in trouble. They said it like you can snort coke when you are not being tested for a fight...which is technically true, along with weed.

Oh well...nothing to worry about, apparently now if you test positive you can just claim that Klitschko planted it and you're all good (in your own mind). :heh:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I think that was a misleading statement in the article. Didn't JCC get caught with weed in his fight mandated drug tests. Seems like Fury's were the same, hence why he is in trouble. They said it like you can snort coke when you are not being tested for a fight...which is technically true, along with weed.

Oh well...nothing to worry about, apparently now if you test positive you can just claim that Klitschko planted it and you're all good (in your own mind). :heh:

:mjlol: