Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Bread just touched on this:
"GGG does not have to move up anywhere. The notion that he has to move up sounds ridiculous. He has 4 huge fights at 160. BJ Saunders, Chris Eubank, Canelo Alvarez and Danny Jacobs. If he runs that table he has a whole generation of huge junior middleweights who will middleweights by 2018. Hagler, Monzon and Fullmer never moved up. There careers turned out just fine. Hogg Wash."
BJS and Eubank aren't huge fights for Golovkin let's not kid ourselves, let's not put those two dudes on pedestal just yet. If we're already talking about British fights, DeGale would be more challenging to him and would bring more money too than BJS or Eubank Jr.

Jacobs would be really a good fight for him but it's probably only happening if HBO/K2 reaches deeper in their pocket and beat Haymon in the pursue bid... Otherwise Golovkin is fukked cause he has to vacate the WBA belt...

Canelo is really a good fight for him

2018... In 2018 he will be 36-37... Can't everyone be Mayweather or Hopkins. It's pretty rare actually. You can't plan long term to fight young lions from jr. middleweight two year later when you are 34 years old

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
there have been GGG fights that haven't aired on HBO though
The idea of GGG's new contract with HBO is that ALL his fights will be on HBO. They didn't want him doing any more Monte Carlo shows. They basically have agreed to give GGG 3 or 4 dates a year and put them on HBO.

Apparently they didn't guarantee to have enough money to find an opponent. :francis:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
The idea of GGG's new contract with HBO is that ALL his fights will be on HBO. They didn't want him doing any more Monte Carlo shows. They basically have agreed to give GGG 3 or 4 dates a year and put them on HBO.

Apparently they didn't guarantee to have enough money to find an opponent. :francis:

thats explains why the ishida and adama fights in monaco werent aired but later on the murray fight in monaco was

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
thats explains why the ishida and adama fights in monaco werent aired but later on the murray fight in monaco was
Yep. At the time GGG was signed to HBO, but not exclusively. So when GGG wanted a 3rd or 4th fight and it didn't fit HBO's schedule they went to Monaco. Then the fans were demanding it be on HBO and at the last second HBO would try to broadcast it, but the arena it was held wasn't big enough to fit HBO's desired production for TV, so they were forced to not air it. After those fights HBO basically said in his new contract we guarantee all GGG fights will be on HBO.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Yep. At the time GGG was signed to HBO, but not exclusively. So when GGG wanted a 3rd or 4th fight and it didn't fit HBO's schedule they went to Monaco. Then the fans were demanding it be on HBO and at the last second HBO would try to broadcast it, but the arena it was held wasn't big enough to fit HBO's desired production for TV, so they were forced to not air it. After those fights HBO basically said in his new contract we guarantee all GGG fights will be on HBO.
How does this work though...

Let's say Haymon wins the pursue and take the fight on Showtime, NBC or CBS...

What HBO does then? They fukk over their 2-3. most valuable, most hyped fighter and make him vacate or they can include an exception? WBA has Golovkin as a champ for the longest time and Golovkin always talking about unify all belts... Would HBO just pull a move like that on him...?

Also if Golovkin still decides to fight Jacobs on SHO/PBC despite of the exclusive contract can he do it legally or not? I doN't know if it's legal for a network to prevent a mandatory fight. Which is stronger, the exclusive contract or the right to fight the mandatory. If they go into a pursue bid don't they also voluntarily give up their right to enforce the exclusive contract if they let the bidding start and they lose on the bid? They knew that they might lose when they got into the biddig afterall...

Kovalev vs Stevenson was a situation where Kovalev didn't have to vacate anything so they could just say "this fight won't happen" and Duva + Kovalev didn't say much about it but this case would be different cause in order to keep their fighter only on HBO they might have to fukk over their own, currently probably most beloved fighter.

It would be a strange, interesting situation, that's sure...

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
Anyone else tired of talking about the fukkery and the duckery in the MW division?

I'm ready to see more fights being scheduled all across boxing. We can start with the Charlo vs JRock fight.

:birdman:

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
You'd think with that peek-a-boo ish guard lemiuex would have better head movement
I could have sworn Lemieux was really trying to move his head but it was like ggg couldn't miss with it.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
How does this work though...

Let's say Haymon wins the pursue and take the fight on Showtime, NBC or CBS...

What HBO does then? They fukk over their 2-3. most valuable, most hyped fighter and make him vacate or they can include an exception? WBA has Golovkin as a champ for the longest time and Golovkin always talking about unify all belts... Would HBO just pull a move like that on him...?

Also if Golovkin still decides to fight Jacobs on SHO/PBC despite of the exclusive contract can he do it legally or not? I doN't know if it's legal for a network to prevent a mandatory fight. Which is stronger, the exclusive contract or the right to fight the mandatory. If they go into a pursue bid don't they also voluntarily give up their right to enforce the exclusive contract if they let the bidding start and they lose on the bid? They knew that they might lose when they got into the biddig afterall...

Kovalev vs Stevenson was a situation where Kovalev didn't have to vacate anything so they could just say "this fight won't happen" and Duva + Kovalev didn't say much about it but this case would be different cause in order to keep their fighter only on HBO they might have to fukk over their own, currently probably most beloved fighter.

It would be a strange, interesting situation, that's sure...
Once it hit a purse bid I think they are at the mercy of the system. In the initial beginning 30 day negotiating window, it would be HBO/K2 negotiating with Jacob's team. Since Jacobs is signed to Haymon and not a network contract he has the ability to go between networks, if they want. Haymon would probably feel out Showtime and what they would pay and since his investment group PBC pays for non-Showtime cards he would know the out of pocket budget for that. HBO/K2 would have to step up to the plate and take on more risk and give more promises to Jacobs. Like the Stevenson-Kovalev situation there could be fukkery where Duva knew PBC would win the bid, so she called off negotiations...this time I think K2 and HBO are better off because PBC isn't as strong financially and is being far more careful with where they put their money.

Now this is just my opinion: I doubt PBC would buy GGG-Jacobs to put on their own networks (NBC, CBS, Spike, ESPN), so it would have to be Showtime. Showtime would have to invest quite a bit to pull it off and it would be for a guy they don't invest heavily in (Jacobs) and a non-Showtime fighter (GGG). That is a lot of risk for the assumed outcome (a GGG win), it would basically be a one off...seeing that Showtime just passed on a one off of Pacquiao-Vargas, especially since rumors are HBO still has future rights on Pacquiao. That leaves HBO in the drivers seat, but they still have to be willing to pony up the money and they have been stingy as fukk.

How it would go down if GGG actually had to fight Jacobs on a non-HBO network, I have no idea. So far I think PBC has let a few guys onto HBO in situations where they had to, but they weren't Showtime exclusive contract guys. I can't remember a recent situation where an exclusive network fighter was put into a situation where he was forced to fight off his own network and what happened.

This situation is just ripe for fukkery. I think casuals will think GGG-Jacobs have 30 days to negotiate, so whoever doesn't agree is ducking, but there is so much business hatred behind the scenes it could get messy. The only way it probably is a "clean" duck is if all the networks are agreed to and we learn that Jacobs wants more than HBO will pay, not in a Lomachenko-Salido rematch way (fight isn't being made this year due to money and Salido is waiting until next year when HBO supposedly will have more money - by all accounts he is asking for a fair amount), but rather an amount we know he wouldn't get and is pricing himself out a la BJS.