Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Exclusive: Sulaiman saddened, says WBC 154lb tournament fell apart

Phil D Jay
28 August 2016

charlo-jermell-wbc.jpg

Credit: WBC

Sulaiman announced last year that a tournament involving eight fighters would ultimately crown a new champion at 154 pounds following Floyd Mayweather’s decision to retire from the sport.

After a good start, which resulted in undefeated Jermell Charlo being recognised as the new green and gold belt holder, Sulaiman admitted the rest of the eliminator bouts have now been scrapped.

“I’m so disappointed in the super-welterweight tournament,” Sulaiman exclusively told World Boxing News.

“We started a great idea and included many fighters. They committed to participate and everything seemed to be a great solution to find a successor to Floyd Mayweather as champion following his retirement, but unfortunately, the fighters and the fights fell out of the tournament.

“At this moment, we have Charlo (Jermell) who is the champion and he is going to do the mandatory against Charles Hatley as he’s won the opportunity (against Anthony Mundine) and that was part of the original tournament.

“But after that - unfortunately, and due to the other fighter’s decisions, we will just proceed as usual.

“We have the convention coming up so we will review the tournament and the division and go from there,” he added.

Charlo v Hatley could take place by the end of the year should the champion be content to get his mandatory duty out of the way, whilst Demetrius Andrade has decided to go an alternative route despite a win during the process.

The welterweight version also seems to have stalled due to many similar factors as Danny Garcia must now face Amir Khan once the Briton is ready to return to action following his loss to Canelo Alvarez.

Exclusive: Sulaiman saddened, says WBC 154lb tournament fell apart

Swift vs Khan 2 happening in 2017:ehh:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
David Peralta is done driving a cab, open to rematch with Ghost - Ring TV

“He is no longer a cab driver,” said his promoter Sampson Lewkowicz in a press release on Monday of the welterweight. “David came out of retirement to take this fight when I offered it to him. Now his life will change. He will go back to being a full-time fighter and I will find him another big fight to win.”

“He’s back now and he’ll be in the gym full-time,” the promoter said. “His cab can wait. I will find him a big fight against another top contender and try to get him in line for a world title shot. Or if Robert Guerrero feels like he wants an immediate rematch, we would give it to him. He gave us the chance.”

:russ:

HeruDat1

Superstar
Daps
you just have to IMO, I don't know how anyone doesn't if you're in the area

Do it breh....live boxing is GOAT

Yeah I'm a four hour drive and an hour n a half plane ride away. Looking at hotels...that's before Thanksgiving so I might take a whole week off
:wow:

Want to see what they do with that undercard

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
David Peralta is done driving a cab, open to rematch with Ghost - Ring TV

“He is no longer a cab driver,” said his promoter Sampson Lewkowicz in a press release on Monday of the welterweight. “David came out of retirement to take this fight when I offered it to him. Now his life will change. He will go back to being a full-time fighter and I will find him another big fight to win.”

“He’s back now and he’ll be in the gym full-time,” the promoter said. “His cab can wait. I will find him a big fight against another top contender and try to get him in line for a world title shot. Or if Robert Guerrero feels like he wants an immediate rematch, we would give it to him. He gave us the chance.”

:russ:
:mjlol::mjlol:

His cab can wait :russ::russ:

Came out of retirement to fight Guerrero? :heh::heh:

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Yeah I'm a four hour drive and an hour n a half plane ride away. Looking at hotels...that's before Thanksgiving so I might take a whole week off
:wow:

Want to see what they do with that undercard
If you rep the ring, you should be there.

In terms of the undercard, don't expect Valdezzzzz or Rameriez. I assume they'll both be fighting on the Pac-Vargas (:mjlol:) undercard.

I'd drive 4.5 hours to see SOG/Kkkrusher :wow:

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
If you rep the ring, you should be there.

In terms of the undercard, don't expect Valdezzzzz or Rameriez. I assume they'll both be fighting on the Pac-Vargas (:mjlol:) undercard.

I'd drive 4.5 hours to see SOG/Kkkrusher :wow:

I drove 6 1/2 hours to see AB vs Theophane..... @HeruDat you better make that trip breh:ufdup:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I think I'll take danny. I don't think a pressure fighter wool give him much problems and erroll is easy to hit. Hopefully he hiding a weak chin:takedat:
While Danny is certainly better than Bundu he is slower than him on foot and probably with hands too (makes up for it with timing) so I think he would have a hard-hard time to get inside of Spence's phone booth jab and straight punches.
If Spence over commits himself then Danny's time can come but if Spence fights smart mainly tagging Garcia from the outside I can see him win this